It. Is. Finished.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Wrote A Game or Two, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Wrote A Game or Two

Wrote A Game or Two New Member

Just thought I'd share (hopefully I don't jinx myself - the thing is still in QA with the publisher) - I have COMPLETED A GAME. A real, honest to God, full fledged, sellable game. Even translated the graphics into 2 additional languages. Total dev time: 9 months.

The game's name is Gadgetz/Tiles (it's actually two games in one - I'm a madman). When it goes up for sale (should be within the next 30 days at the longest) I'll update this post with a link. Until then, if you look up Mojo-Bone Software Studios on Facebook, you can see some screenshots and other assorted goodness, and if you're really bored, read the details on the whole sordid affair and how after a full rewrite and going on 3 rounds of QA, we're still on speaking terms with each other. What a crazy ride it has been but I look back on it and feel great that we still managed to accomplish a major goal.

Already hard at work on the next one - development officially began last weekend. The goal this time: A full fledged sellable game in 30 days.

Yeah. I know. I must be insane. I get that alot. :cool:

Later.

2. Xathia Vastar

Xathia Vastar New Member

Congratulations! There's no better feeling than that of reaching your goal after many long, tedious hours. :)

3. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Congrats! You've done what many people find incredibly hard to do - finish a game. Now you gotta sell it and that's a whole other challenge. Good luck.

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Congrats :)

Since he's using a publisher, won't be much of a challenge for him, just sit and watch what happens :D

5. Evil Dan

Evil Dan New Member

Excellent! You work quick - that is a virtue. Congrats!

6. CousinGilgamesh

CousinGilgamesh New Member

not sure about your choice of making game names by adding 'z' to the end of something (i.e. "Tilez", "Gadgetz", "Stonez", "Petz: Horsez 2"), but finishing a game is a great accomplishment. It will be awesome to see it in action.

7. richtaur

Indie Author

Very inspiring, congratulations!

8. JGOware

Indie Author

hmm... did a search on "Gadgetz Tiles" and nothing came up for your game. 9 months work and no p&r? Perhaps I miss spelled something?

9. ionside

ionside New Member

Always great to hear another goal accomplished!

With JGOware there - no PR?

10. Wrote A Game or Two

Yeah, we're off the 'z' kick for future releases that don't already have a name. :D The "30-day-game" project, as I affectionately call it, will not have a Z anywhere in it's name. ;)

JGOWare: Everything's on the Facebook page. Can't check it here from my day job so I don't know if there's anything on the new game I'm working on up there yet, but here's the URL. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mojo-Bone-Software-Studios/87860748751

11. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

First lesson in promotion:
    - let us know the link to the game website :D

Congraz man.

12. fissiongames

fissiongames New Member

Congratulations! 9 months development time seems like a nice number. Good luck for your next project.

13. Wrote A Game or Two

Thanks, everyone.

Looking good so far on my ridiculous 30 day goal (it helps that the game itself is extremely simple and that our dev tool handles most of the physics of a bat-n-ball type game natively without having to add any custom code). Added the menu screens yesterday and will be wrapping those up and including save-game functionality tonight. Gotta squash a pesky bug while I'm at it, sometimes it seems to register the collision event for one of the powerups twice, resulting in 6 extra balls being spawned instead of the intended 3. Hmmm.... fascinating...

Then it's headlong into the grind, creating an additional 90 levels or so of game play. Fortunately, MMF2 makes this process relatively painless: Clone frame, change/add stuff, rinse, repeat, wipe hands on pants. I can build 5 levels easily in an evening without breaking a sweat. For me, that means I'll be pushing to do 8 or 10.

To meet my goal, I need to crank out 4 levels a day for the next 24 days, so we're still in good shape. :cool: The trick will be to identify and fix any bugs early before they propagate into 100+ frames but inevitably there will be one or two that I don't catch until the very end. :rolleyes:

I'll keep you guys posted. We're still waiting on a download link for the finished one, and then I'll post it so that maybe we'll actually sell some copies and I can have a few bucks to show for the last 9 months, lol... Our publisher seems to think it'll do "fairly well" which I translate to mean that we'll make a few grand on it and have to wonder if this was really a good idea or if we should have gone with this new game instead (because IMHO, it's MUCH better).

More to come...

14. Wrote A Game or Two

Hey guys, just wanted to check in and give you all an update. We're live in France and Germany now, still in line for release in the US. The game is holding it's own in the match 3 genre, ranking #28 in France and #47 in Germany for the number of downloads on BFG's match 3 category. Pretty cool to think about people thousands of miles away playing a game we wrote!

Time will tell how many of those downloads became sales, but that's the way it goes I guess. Overall, I'm glad we took the plunge and released the game. It's been pretty interesting, to say the least, and I'm definitely convinced that this is what I want to do full time someday when the income from it allows it.

My laughable goal of finishing our next release in 30 days failed miserably due to some last minute redesigning and fixes. (having a dayjob in the way doesn't help ,my productivity either) But we're still on track to be done by the end of the month as long as we don't have any other big issues crop up and my wife and kids let me have enough time on the computer. :D

Here's the links as promised, if anyone wants to have a look at what we created, here it is. It's our first game. Be gentle. :)

http://www.bigfishgames.fr/jeux-a-telecharger/7833/gadgetz-and-tilez/index.html

http://www.bigfishgames.de/download-spiele/7902/gadgetz-and-tilez/index.html

Well, back to fun. I got another 10 minutes at the ol' dayjob and then its home to code, code, code.

Edited to add: Gee, what's a guy got to do to get a Indie Author badge around here?? ;)

15. tolik

Original Member

Wow, BFG sure doesn't care about quality nowadays. Did they ran out of casual developers?

16. incaman

incaman New Member

Maybe they ran out of localized games? :rolleyes:

17. Wrote A Game or Two

Hey, I said be gentle! ;)

No, I know... it certainly isn't on par with a lot of the other stuff on there, and the download rankings so far do seem to reflect that. But the fact that we got the thing actually done and published is a big first step for us. Believe me, we came away with many lessons learned and the next game we're working on is already much, much better. I'm not expecting our first game to make a bajillion dollars (a few thousand would be nice though). The next one won't set any sales records either compared to the big budget, high polish stuff that graces their top ten. But I think (and hope) it will do well and, more importantly, provide even more valuable lessons and experience we can carry to the next one. Who knows, a few years from now, we might actually make something good enough to make the top ten list and impress you guys too. :D

This is also a good case for localization. It was the BIGGEST pain to localize that goofy little game, but the payoff is that we got posted to the portal well ahead of the US only developers. And we are ranking well on the site given the lack of professional polish and simplicity of the game, I think we owe a big part of that to the fact we took the time to localize it. I read a stat somewhere that said localized games outsell english only ones in Europe 25 to 1. The downloads we've had so far seem to bear that out.

For a first offering, considering it's the first ever casual game we've ever done (we're database guys originally) it's not terrible. At least I don't think so, some of you pros may disagree and that's OK. But I think we can all agree it's not great, and I want to put out games that are great. So I'll take my lumps now while the stakes are relatively low and work towards that end goal of coming up with a great game. I think we're on the right track with the next one. Time will tell.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate every bit of it I get, both positive and negative. It all helps.

18. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Congrats bud. Always good to see your first out there, and your head sounds like it's held on right.

Your first game might not be a hit, but I gather that nobodys first game is, only after they have made a few do they learn enough to get things just right.

Good luck.

19. electronicStar

Original Member

Good luck

Are downloads in the hundreds or in the dozens? (or single digits?)

20. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

I think I read that you localised the graphics?

Don't.

Never put text into graphics unless for extreme situations (like the splash screen where text is covered in sparkly effects) and put the text info in a separate file that can easily be sent to the translator and swapped around. Never hardcode text. I used to work on games that were published by Vivendi and our loc rules binder was like an inch thick, but in a nutshell, this is what you need to know (it's more complicated when you get to languages that have to deal with unicodes and non-roman alphabets and I'm not very knowledgeable in that.)