Is your game here

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Iane, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Iane

Iane New Member

In my travels looking for a bargain on PC games I came accross this listing on a locally run site called http://www.oztion.com.au

http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auctions.aspx?type5=thistleteai

This person is selling 395 indie titles for as little as $6.95 Australian each.

Going through the listings I noticed 2 indie titles I purchased for $20 US or more so contacted the Authors about this seller and all contact with Oztion seems to have been ignored concerning what seems to be pirated activity concerning there games.

So it seems more than a couple of voices are needed and short of contacting 100's of authors I'd post this concern here - I hope this is o.k.

Ian

2. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Looks very dodgy. I emailed them. Probably just another bunch of thieving bastards trying to leech of other peoples creativity :(
    I wish more people like this got thrown in a cell.

3. cliffski

They are asking me for 'IP Documentation'. This is clearly just a criminal clearing house site that doesn't care about anyone else. I strongly suggest everyone here with a game on there (that's most of you) contact them as well to make it clear this guy is going to (if nothing else) clog up their complaints email for days.
    I really want to see people like this imprisoned. It's the only way they will learn.

4. chillypacman

chillypacman Guest

My game isn't on there... I'm disappointed, not even good enough for pirates :(

5. Iane

Iane New Member

6. cliffski

portals totally ignore piracy. It's silly, they could throw some muscle behind having their games removed from pirate sites, but apparently copying and pasting an email is too much work.
    There are sites just dedicated to pirating games from specific portals by name. even then, they do nothing.

7. Jason Chong

Original Member

What can you do when the hosting is in China ?

Trust me, I know how it feels.

I would rather not waste my time trying to get the Communist government to crack down on piracy.

8. cliffski

90% of the piracy of casual games is on rapidshare. Easily removed with a single email.

9. Jason Chong

Original Member

Oh no.... you have no idea... There's a new site, based in China... very fast bandwidth.

I know.. because I am also a victim.

They have all the latest stuff... and google is hitting them over your own site first when someone googles your game.

10. cliffski

a simple fax to google will remove it from search results :D

11. Jason Chong

Original Member

Please do it! I don't have a fax. :(

Does google remove all results from that chinese site or just your game only ?

12. Iane

Iane New Member

But this is an Auction site similar to Ebay but in Australia and not China

13. arcadetown

Note from portal's end filing a copyright / piracy complaint entails a lot of issues and becomes very cumbersome. It's far easier for the legal copyright holder to enforce actions. Several devs with popular titles take a pro-active approach and constantly monitor and shut down illegal auctions, etc.

What might be interesting is if Cliff shared his top tips to stamp out pirates in a whole new thread dedicated to top tips only.

14. cliffski

This is true, but you can act on anyone's behalf if they give you permission, Those are the terms of the DMCA. I hereby give EVERYONE permission to issue DMCA notices on my behalf.

I tried sharing some tips on fake torrents in a discussion on a website yesterday about indie game piracy. Net result was a lot of abuse, and some of the posters went to the torrent sites and reported all my torrents and got all my accounts banned (Like its hard to get new ones! already registered some more).

Short summary : A lot of gamers are active pirate scum who will try and destroy your business for even criticising them. So I'm not helping anyone any more, I don't know who I'm talking to.

Too many gamers see the pirates as the good guys. I'm sick of having to point out what scum the pirates are.

15. Ciardhubh

Ciardhubh New Member

That is probably not a good idea. Such an unrestricted permission could possibly be abused, e.g. take down legitimate affiliates. Or the notice could be insufficient and lead to the hosting site to ignore you because they get spammed with informal pseudo-notices. Then again I doubt a statement in a forum is sufficient legitimation anyway. The way I understand it, a proper DMCA takedown notice has a few requirements:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Copyright_Infringement_Liability_Limitation_Act

Then again, I have no experience on how sites react to less formal notices (or even sites outside the US in general). If it works, it's great anyway :)

The DMCA is also of little relevance here, as it is a US law and this site Australian. Though they most likely have a similar law you can refer to. Pointing out some foreign law may be counter-productive as it shows you have no knowledge of local law and thus no means to back any legal threats (if the company is somewhat shady).