Is this worth becoming popular?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by scriptsez, Jun 5, 2016.

?
  1. Excellent

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Very Good

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Good

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Fine

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. scriptsez

scriptsez New Member

I made this game "Drop Boxes" and made it available on Google play store. Its a box stacking game with physics involved in making it a stable/unstable stack of boxes.
    I am not sure if it is going to be popular, any comments and suggestions would be welcome. You can try the game on your device and let me know of any issues/comments/suggestions. If the game is lagging, let me know which device you are playing it.
    What do you think of background sound and effects?

Thanks.

Here is the gameplay:

Google Appstore link:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DPB&hl=en_GB

2. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

Simple and to the point, is key to capturing some interest...This is challenged by Candy crush....So if it gets popular then it won't be bad.

3. Methew Bond

Methew Bond New Member

First thing is it is a nice game. but it could more interesting if it has good background sound, Challenges... If these two things are apply in this game, then this game is much more popular then currently...

Sponge likes this.
  4. Sponge

Sponge New Member

Well, you're going to have to add a lot of stuff to make it unique. There are many games like this out there. For example, look at a game like sky burger, it's like your game, but has a unique flare. If you make it unique, it has the possibility of becoming popular.

5. Vonyco

Vonyco New Member

The game actually does seem like a lot of fun. It's cute and simple, and would be easy to just pick up and play. However, there are plenty of fun games on the market, and that alone isn't enough to get a game recognition. I think what your game needs is more personality. Just stacking boxes isn't the most interesting thing in the world - I may as well start working at UPS if I enjoyed that, right? A lot of developers tend to overlook the aesthetics in their game, but I think highering a great designer is definitely worth the investment. Gameplay is important, yes, but the unique atmosphere is what's going to allow the game to stick in people's minds.

Anyway, it looks good for what it is! The mobile market is incredibly competitive, so you need to pull all the techniques - promote using social media, make some more gameplay videos, talk with some Let's Players about giving it a shot, etc,.! Congratulations on completing what you have so far by the way, even that is an accomplishment.

Chump likes this.
  6. noahbwilson

Indie Author

The game is great, but it needs variety.

Powerups? Heavier boxes? Different sizes? Score variation? Top scores?

If there's one thing App players like to do ... it is show off what they have done.

7. jak_king

jak_king New Member

The game is good, but it needs particle and best ui ,

Attached Files:

• po.jpg
      po.jpg
      File size:
      161.6 KB
      Views:
  8. idurvesh

idurvesh New Member

9. kurdle

kurdle New Member

I like it.

10. Peter Carter

Peter Carter New Member

Look decent :).

11. Ting_Thing

Ting_Thing New Member

The music is interesting but it sounds a little empty. You have this call-and-response thing between a string motif and a brass instrument. That's a good start! But there is lots of room to add more sounds, texture, etc., and then develop the idea into something a little more melodic. Keep it up!

Peter Carter likes this.
  12. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

13. Chump

Chump New Member

I'm not really sure what you're doing with the borders, try changing that.

14. MrRixyzpilk

MrRixyzpilk New Member

Things to improve your game:
    • Make the music much more distorted and off key when the tower is wobbling a lot, people react to audio cues like that a lot better. It will make some panic but also make others focus more/want to get rid of that off keyness. Id look at probably Skyward sword and how Groose's interrupts distort the song (Mainly how it uses the horn).

• As Chump suggested, Boarders needs to be changed, I'd suggest simple stuff like spinning rollers to suggest a box that leans too far will get crushed between them. This can be done by a simple gif looping so you get the illusion of something spinning then duplicated.
    • After a set amount of stacks have it be "auto straightened" so it's almost like a check point and tones everything back down for people who have a rather wobbly tower. I'd go so it's 10 then, double that so next check point is 30 and double that so it's 60 (and so on). It will get people somewhat addicted as they know "going this far will help me. I just have to get to the next point I know I can do it"
    • Game over screen needs basic stuff like a way of indicating that it's the end such as "End of Shift". Also other things like 'try again' button on that same screen.
    • Online and personal leaderboards, most games have it and this one should to, this will probably be a notable use of your time but it will attract people.
      • Adding on to leader board point a profile/name for leaderboards, Have it easily done and customizable. Make sure to include a general profanity filter. It should come out in the style of a name tag similar to Fedex
    • Speaking of Fedex I'd suggest possibly making a fake delivery company brand Like "SezEx" for both branding purposes and to slap on the side of a box or in the back ground or something as well as the name tag itself.
    • Holiday themes, you'll want to do it or someone will make a clone that's holiday specific just to cash in and trust me .
    And if you want to go bigger:
    • A Timed mode to see how high you can stack in a set amount of time.
      • This goes hand and hand in the leaderboard stuff as now people will be repeatedly trying to beat their personal score and the top score
    • Special modes where for example the stack starts on one side instead of ind the middle or the stack's platform moves and you have to time your drop to make sure it lands correctly.

15. Frank Cortez

Frank Cortez New Member

I have been through this gaming app. You did very well.

16. nguyentrongvan

nguyentrongvan New Member

17. Hui Wang

Hui Wang New Member

may add wind when dropping can make it more interesting!

18. Kyaawai

Kyaawai New Member

To answer the thread title... Yes, it is very worth it to become famous in the game industry. That way you'll have no trouble with game marketing and game promotions because people will anticipate your every release.