Is there any e-commerce provider that allows me to do this?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by ManuelFLara, Aug 20, 2009.

1. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a monthly subscription based web game and I ran into a problem with the e-commerce side of it. I want users to be able to win time to play for free under some circumstances.

So let's say the user entered his CC info on January 1st and the next payment is scheduled for February 1st. BUT he did something that gave him two free weks of play, so what I want to do is move that "next charging" date to another date. From what I've been seeing around, most e-commerce providers allow for weekly, monthly or yearly subscriptions, but once they sign up you lose control of when the payments are made.

Do any of you know of any provider that would allow me? I'd be more than happy to do some code to work with PayPal's or Google Checkout's API, but AFAIK (at least PayPal) doesn't seem to allow this.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Ok seems like Google Checkout does allow this:
    Source: http://code.google.com/intl/es-ES/apis/checkout/developer/Google_Checkout_Beta_Subscriptions.html

Any other?

3. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

I doubt paypal or some others (such as Plimus) can do it.

Sounds bit of a mess :)

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I'm not an expert of online/MMO games, but I think you should change system and not use a subscription with CC but use "token" or "game points". It's much easier to manage on your own inside your game code (php etc).

5. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

@Jack: You mean that users buy tokens and then they use that to pay for "game sessions"? Let's say something like OGame. Something like that is meant to be a subscription based kind of game. You log in and do stuff all the time, every day so I think a subscription based ssystem works better. And also I don't want users to feel lazy about buying more tokens, but just been renewed every month unless they cancel.

6. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Possibly option is to keep the charging thing simple as it is now and perhaps change what these bonuses do slightly ?

How about a fortnight of "turbo time" where the next fortnight instead of playing for free, you can level up twice as fast or be harder in fights etc.

I know that probably isn't the hook you're looking for, but it keeps the payment simple and imo you don't want to complicate that shit at all, especially when there's a problem down the line.

7. Rickard

Rickard New Member

I think what Jack is getting at is keeping the subscription part on you end. So, rather than having recurring payments, they buy a code for 12 months of play (or 1 month). They enter the code into the game and it unlocks the game for that period of time. Then you can easily add more "time" from your end.

8. Nexic

Indie Author

Yes you can do that, but honestly reoccuring subscriptions are way better. You want them to forget about it and keep paying even though they aren't using your service. The only time buying the subscription up front is a good idea for you is if you make them buy a minimum of 3 months at once.