Is Selling Zune Games Possible?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by PrefixEx, Jun 13, 2009.

1. PrefixEx

Original Member

Clearly there is Zune Game Development library and there are Zune games but there seems to be no real channel to sell Zune games (atleast on any scale like the Apple App store)

1. Is anyone here actively developing for Zune?
    2. Is anyone in the world actually selling Zune games?

2. Acord

Acord New Member

I'm not entirely sure about this either. Something tells me that MS doesn't take the Zune seriously, and focuses on where it is dominant: XB360.

3. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Good market analysis technique: Count how many people you know that own such a target device.

Sorry MS.

4. Acord

Acord New Member

And that is precisely... Zero.

5. Cartman

Indie Author

I've known two people who have owned a Zune since it was first released. Both of course worked for Microsoft however, so I don't think they are a good comparison. :) I would like to see the Zune succeed, but without Microsoft having a store like Apple does I don't believe it will happen.

6. JasonD

Original Member

XNA compiles a single source for the Xbox 360, PC, and Zune, as long as you only use 2D stuff. So XNA would be a good idea for Zune development, since you can also release it to the Xbox 360 and PC even if the Zune fails. Of course you have to be aware of processing power differences and resolution issues, but it's still possible if you plan it from the get go.

7. fpcorso

fpcorso New Member

Currently there is no effective way of selling or distributing your Zune games. Now, I believe, the Zune HD will have a much better marketplace feature. Since this is to compete with the Ipod Touch, it is a possibility that Microsoft will allow you to upload the Zune games to the marketplace like you would the app store. Also, I remember reading on the Creators Club Online Forums once that the EULA prohibits distribution of any Zune games made using XNA Game Studio. I do not know if that has changed in some of the newer versions, but you might want to check.

For basic info on Zune HD, visit the zune homepage at:
    http://www.zune.net/en-us/mp3players/zunehd/default.htm

To read Interview with Brian Seitz, marketing manager of zune HD:
    http://gamesblog.ugo.com/games/brian-seitz-interview-zune-hd

#7 fpcorso, Jun 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  8. Acord

Acord New Member

It's not a bad idea - the market is not supersaturated yet, but I would seriously worry about the install base.