Is putting my name in the game title lame?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by MattB, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Westcoast-Games

Westcoast-Games New Member

vote +1 for Bad Sector style game naming!

2. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Bad. Just... bad.

Another option to naming games is to give it a title that has nothing to do with the game at all. Call it, "Egg Basket" or something totally random (hit the dictionary). If nothing else, it might give someone a laugh ;) At best, it'll be memorable and stand out from the crowd.

3. rioka

rioka New Member

If you're going to put a name, why not put the name of your main character (if you have one)? Henry Hatsworth. Mario Bros. Professor Layton. Sam & Max.

4. Backov

Original Member

Actually, this is a good idea.

Name your game "Sid Meiers Planet Defender."

Of course, you'll have to change your name to Sid Meier and hire a lawyer, but hey.

5. tentons

Indie Author

I don't think it's outright a bad idea to put your name in the title. It might not be good for every game you make, but there is sensible logic in the idea.

Think about this for a moment: someone's name on the title of a game which has a team of 100 people is very silly (and as mentioned, is always a marketing ploy and seems very arrogant).

But if you're an indie, it really is your game, and I think one way indie's should be differentiating is the fact that our games are much more personal works, more like songs than huge movies. Indies can build a fan base in a very different way than a "triple-A" game company. This kind of intimacy with your customers means they probably want to know your name. Only indies are in a position to develop this kind of name recognition, so why not use that to your advantage?

How many indie devs do you recognize from the IGF? Probably quite a few. What's wrong with that? Why is it bad to let people know who you are when the game really is your blood, sweat, and tears?

Maybe you don't want your name in the title, but certainly you want to give yourself prominent exposure and be personal and open about who you are. But to dismiss the idea because of how Sid Meier, et al. does it is to miss an opportunity.

6. Jesse Hopkins

Jesse Hopkins New Member

-----------

#26 Jesse Hopkins, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  7. dannthr

dannthr New Member

I don't see any harm in recognizing the designers a little more.

Just as long as you make absolutely certain that your name MEANS something to the game.

8. sswift

Original Member

I didn't mind it in Gary Kitchen's Game Maker, or Ken's Labyrinth, but i did wonder who those guys were. :)

9. Deva

Deva New Member

I liked when Trip Hawkins, during the 80s, would promote his game developers like rock stars.... sadly, things changed pretty quickly. But why? After all, unknown first-time authors, musicians or film makers proudly make a point of letting people know who created the work they're experiencing.

All this "don't do it / it's a bad idea" attitude makes game developers look so timid, or like they have a huge lack of confidence. But so what, get out of your comfort zone, put your name on your game and be proud of what you've done. Even if the game "sucks." Be proud anyway, and get your name out there. Life is silly, do silly things.

And remember, if Derek Smart can do it, so can you. ;)