Is putting my name in the game title lame?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by MattB, Jun 3, 2009.

1. MattB

MattB New Member

Do you think its bad form to put my name in the title of the game? I mainly ask because I've chosen a pretty generic name and I feel too lazy to try and come up with something original for what is really just a small game. I made it in 10 days and it will be a free game available on my website. Its a downloadable and all the code(including engine) is my own. I made everything myself except the music which I have permission to use. Also, does it even make a difference if my name is in the title if someone later said that I stole there name?

(note: the name is so generic there's at least 2 flash games of the same title in a simple google search)

2. Colm

Colm New Member

If your name is Sid Meier then I'd say yes. Otherwise, pick something other than your name to distinguish your game (eg, throw in 'Super Extra Bonus' before the title you were going to pick)

3. ionside

ionside New Member

I can't see any issue of adding your name in the title of the game. It could be good if your game creates a fanbase. Any future games you create and have your name in the title would be easy for your customers to find (expecting similar awesome quality in your following titles).

But yes usually a name is only attached to a game name if it's a good selling point; Sid Meier, Tony Hawk, Paris Hilton (hmm not so much)...

4. Junkyard Sam

Junkyard Sam New Member

1) Your name in the title wouldn't change my opinion of the game. If the game has a dull title, though, it might prevent someone from clicking on it based on title alone if they didn't have an accompanying screenshot to pique their interest.

2) What name are you adding? Matt? Matt's a pretty generic name, too. (That's my name, and at work there are 3 other Matts on the team. Apparently that name was very popular around the time we were born. =)

3) I wish you'd have been more specific about the title, like saying what the title would be - as well as a link to your site. You can't build all that interest and then not give the info. =)

5. GnadeGames

Original Member

The short answer is...

Yes, I would say inserting your name into a title is pretty lame.

6. Bad Sector

Original Member

I used to attach my name in front of the stuff i was making mostly because there were similar names (like naming one of my games KM's Invaders). Then i switched to using names that mean nothing (Nico Tuvla, Nikwi, Square Shooter, Rombo). I'm not sure which approach is the best :p.

I still prefix some of my stuff with "Bad" or "BS" though.

7. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Depends a bit on your name.

Peter Molyneux
    Sid Meier
    Eddie Van Halen
    Steve vai
    Joe Satriani
    Zodiac Mindwarp

All great names

John Smith
    Harry Jones
    Gordon brown

All bad names (in a showbiz sense)

8. Sybixsus

Original Member

Unless your name is a selling point, I'd say putting your name in the title is a big turn off. John Madden is a selling point - and was on the very first game he was involved in - because he means something to football fans and his involvement tells them something. Sid Meier's name on a product tells us something about the game because we know something about the nature and quality of his games.

Matthew Burden (I don't know your name, I'm speculating) in the name of a game tells me nothing, as my name would to you. I don't know you. It's completely superfluous, and since everything I've ever read or understood about marketing tells me to use as few words as possible, I'd leave it out.

9. MattB

MattB New Member

Sorry about the delay, I was sleeping. Anyway here are some more details/responses. The game name right now is Planet Defender(told you it was generic;). My full name is Matthew McHenry Brown. I was thinkins "MMB's Planet Defender" or "Matt Brown's Planet Defender". I do see your point about my name probably being too generic in itself.

I'm making a bunch of smallish games in the future(Planet Defender is the first and will be done today). I'm going to make one game a month and try to spend a week on development per game. I'm doing this to try and start building up my website and my real game thats multi player only(more about this at another time). These small games are basically prototypes/mini games with all the fix'ins(gui, sounds, music, high scores). If people really like any of them maybe I'll make a more complete game. Anyway, I was basically thinking that if I just attach my name to the first title I think of during development I could save some time. I guess I'll have to come up with something more original.

Sorry about having no links. My site has changed providers twice recently and is in a sad state. I'll post them once I get my website up and the game tested by some friends to check compatability issues.

10. JGOware

Indie Author

Kind of cocky to even think of this to be honest. But....if you code a kick ass game, then go ahead and attach your name. But....if the game sucks big time be prepared to reap the rewards of having your name attached to it.....forever. ;)

11. dstarsboy

dstarsboy New Member

I agree with this 100%. if you made the game in 2 weeks and it sucks balls you would have to think that any future game that has your name attached to it (even in the credits) may get it ignored up front by previous players.

If your game kicks ass, do it, you'll develop a bit of a following.

12. MattB

MattB New Member

The only reason I thought of doing this is that I'm lazy and the name I thought of during development was very generic.

fyi, I've decided to name it "Earth vs Mumbo Jumbo" anyway. MumboJumbo is the end boss who lays asteroid eggs and is trying to eat earth. Its just a fun corny game anyway so the name kind of fits with the old B movie style titles.

#12 MattB, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  13. Obscure

Indie Author

My vote goes with lame. People/companies usually include names for the purpose of self-promotion or because they are already famous and want to use that fame to sell a product (Paul Newman's salad dressing).

If your not already famous people will think you are trying to be (or wrongly think you already are), which is pretty lame. I think the name change is a much better idea although these people http://www.mumbojumbo.com/ might decide to send you a cease and desist letter if they hear about your game.

14. Dark Octave

Dark Octave New Member

No offense but your name is just as generic as the title of your game.

Honestly, you probably would have been better off by asking for help naming your game.

And you know what we'll need for that...heh, heh, heh...

Edit: Don't do the mumbojumbo thing.

15. Bad Sector

Original Member

Beh, all good names are taken.

I think i'll start naming my games like those classical music composers.

Awesome Game 1
    Awesome Game 2
    Awesome Game 3

Kickass Game of Mountaineous Badassery 1
    Kickass Game of Mountaineous Badassery 2 (for epic win)
    Kickass Game of Mountaineous Badassery 3

etc

16. Sybixsus

Original Member

I would buy Kickass Game of Mountaineous Badassery. Well except that the Mountaineous badassery makes me wonder if it's a got any "squeal little piggy" Deliverance-type moments, and I have a weak stomach. But I'd definitely buy Kickass Game of Mountaineous Badassery 3, because it would have to be good if you were still in business after making the first two.

17. electronicStar

Original Member

I don't see the point of putting your name in the title, but if you think that the game will be so good that it will create riots and if you want to have your name attached to this popularity , you could do like a book and put your name under the title.
    Something like:
    Code:
    [B][SIZE=4] HYPERSPACE INVADERS[/SIZE][/B]

by Matt Brown.

18. Sybixsus

Original Member

I don't think he's looking to slipstream himself on the popularity of a huge game, just to differentiate a generic title from a bunch of similarly generic title. I think the advice some way above, about just finding a less generic title, is probably the way to go.

19. MattB

MattB New Member

Yeah I just wanted to have an easy way to name a title. Which is basically just a prototype with some extras. I didnt want to waste time picking a name for what is essentially a free little mini game thats going on my site.

If I later decided I wanted to expand on it with some serious development I would probably take the time to pick something unique.

I kind of like bad sectors idea, maybe Ill call it

Prototype Arcade: Attack of the Awesome Asteroids

Maybe use that as a naming convention for the future small free ones.

20. aiursrage2k

Original Member

I think its pretty good idea, American Mcgees Alice, Tony Hawk. As long as the game is good, you dont attach a bad/generic to your name do you ...