Is my game too difficult or too confusing?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by ClaudioA, Aug 24, 2016.

?
  1. Confusing

100.0%
  2. Difficult

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ClaudioA

ClaudioA
    Expand Collapse

I am self taught solo developer and student of energy and environment and have been developing my game for the past year.
    I have just launched on gamejolt: http://bit.ly/2bCrSYQ

The unity funnel I created tells me that from 83 players, only 16 reached the 4th level. And the 4th level is where things start to get interesting.
    See the funnel here:

I have spoke with some players and some don't understand why they lose others don't understand how to pass the levels.
    It is a strategy game and I am afraid to bore the players with the tutorial, so I try to explain only the essentials.

To improve this completion rate what you think is the best: Give a more in depth tutorial or make the levels easier so the player has time to understand the details?

2. SLotman

SLotman
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member Indie Author

I understood everything in the game. But the game is watching 2 bars go up and down, and flipping switches trying to keep the green bar higher than the yellow one. Most of the time, you just stare at the screen.

I played the game, then I ran out of coal and it was over. Didn't feel any desire to play it again.

The idea of managing resources for electricity is good - but it needs something more to keep players "busy". Maybe letting them place buildings or something? Clicking on the map to find natural resources?

Also, don't wait until "level 4" to make the game "good". Most players won't even go further than 5 mins into the game - so you need to hook them in that time slot.

3. kurdle

kurdle
    Expand Collapse

Ok - Great Idea, but it needs more. Because right now, all you do is flip some switches and wait.

4. NO9

NO9
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I liked the game and played it to the end. The concept is interesting but I needed two-three levels to get what actually is the point of all that.
    I think you could redo your interface to increase the significance of important meters instead of showing almost static city image. It would also be nice to see the reflection of daytime in the city map. But the idea of managing of different power sources is very interesting to me.

5. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis
    Expand Collapse

Well, the game is good, but the music is too loud and I couldn't find the pause/mute button, but i would recomend to everyone who wants to play game similar to the mobile game Reactor ( wich is very good )

6. ClaudioA

ClaudioA
    Expand Collapse

You are talking about the music in the beginning, right?

7. ClaudioA

ClaudioA
    Expand Collapse

8. ZombifiedTeapot

ZombifiedTeapot
    Expand Collapse

I just gave the new build a shot (without playing any previous) and found I was able to figure out the strategy behind it all (anticipating spikes and adjusting output accordingly) fairly quickly.

The tutorials certainly helped, though I felt that the light-bulb in the later levels (excluding 4 of course) was holding my hand a little bit as he straight out tells you whether you're using just enough energy or too much. Being able to skip the tutorial at the beginning of the level would also really help for replays. The first level could also be balanced just slightly better I think since I was able to just put everything to the maximum and finish with plenty of water to spare.

Overall, I like the idea behind this, but would definitely agree with NO9's comment about doing something more with the image of the city to give your players feedback, possibly even having a day/night cycle play out so you can sometimes see lights on the building and whether they are really dim/bright.

9. ClaudioA

ClaudioA
    Expand Collapse

Thanks so much for your feedback, I am working on several animations. I plan to release an update this week with several animations to give life to the city.

10. TigerrrUppercut

TigerrrUppercut
    Expand Collapse

Adding a bit more life to the city would be interesting. People, cars, behaviors that change when you're doing well/poorly (thriving nightlife versus blackout riots)

More rapidly changing power needs would certainly boost engagement.

Great soundtrack!

MClark27 likes this.
  11. Peter Carter

Peter Carter
    Expand Collapse

Just stalls on the loading screen for me. Tried in Chrome and Firefox. Same with both.

12. Crichton333

Crichton333
    Expand Collapse

Stalled when I had to change the production back to 15kW during the tutorial. Seems like a nice game overall. Music does remind me of the early Command&Conquer.

13. Phuzz

Phuzz
    Expand Collapse

I like the Idea, but placing some buildings to give more engagement to the player than just staring at some progress bars would spice it up. :)

14. Synchronomous

Synchronomous
    Expand Collapse

Good luck with your project, I found it wasn't for me as I'm more of a hardcore strategist, but a nice game nonetheless.

15. ClaudioA

ClaudioA
    Expand Collapse

Already fixed the replay bug and added some animations, hopefully it make it more engaging.

I also made the power buttons bigger and tried to make the connection with the load graph easier.

I am excited about this, it is great to hear all your input, things have been slow but I am back at full steam and plan to have more animations ready by the weekend.

Also it would be great if you could also check my newly launched Patreon campaign, I am trying to expand my one man team to increase the speed of the development.

You will also find a link to play the new build: http://goo.gl/J2ZmT0

Here is a GIF of how it looks: http://gph.is/2hiG4sp

Thanks everyone, is has been a pleasure to hear your input.

16. ClaudioA

ClaudioA
    Expand Collapse

I know how to paste GIFS now :)

[​IMG]