Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by BlockShell, Feb 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BlockShell

BlockShell New Member

Hello I'm a very frugal person and have saved up a decent sum of money, now some of it I invest in funds but I'm wondering if making a game is even worth trying, I would not want to invest more than $1000 (although that might be a little low) in the idea I have but the problem for me is that I'm not naive like some others and I know very well the chance for success is low if not non existent.

My plan is to make a demo of the game and showcase that on Kickstarter to try and raise the rest that is needed (this demo is where I will invest my money) but I just can't decide if I should even try or not, there are so many things that can go wrong on the way and I might even fail before the demo is built. What do you think guys? Losing the money does not affect me at all and it's just a small percentage of what I have saved, also I know very little about the process of making games and things like contracts etc.

NOTE: I'm not interested in learning to make games myself, I'm all for coming up with the idea, writing everything down etc and then hire others to do the work.

Please share your thoughts on this!

#1 BlockShell, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. HappySlapp

HappySlapp New Member

I'm a bit new to the game making industry myself, just got to grips with a game engine xD
    But from what I've heard, and from a small amount of experience, if you want to hire a team to make a game, you need to show that you understand what you're wanting. As in, you need to know the basics of programming, art, and a bit about music to be able to comprehend how to make realistic goals for your project. I realized this the hard way, because I wanted to make something that has RPG elements, procedurally generated quests, loot, and environments with high quality music and graphics.

What I did is a textbook case of failing before even starting.

I encourage you to learn some stuff about programming, with any kind of language, as long as you can apply it to something else in the future, my preference is GML (Game Maker Language) which is the built-in language for GameMaker: Studio 1.4/GameMaker: Studio 2, personally I would recommend version 2, as it has many great improvements to the interface and overall workflow of GameMaker.

You can get it here, if you are interested :D
    https://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/features?cr_exp=s&cr_cid=167825909
    A profile on that website is needed to buy it.

There's also a bunch of tutorials for GameMaker 1.4 on a YouTube channel called "Heartbeast" if you need them! They can mostly be applied to version 2 with some minor tweaks.

As for art and music, I cannot really help too much. But I would start by looking on Google for some tutorials as to how to make some basic art and music for your game.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your projects!

BlockShell likes this.
  3. BlockShell

BlockShell New Member

Hey HappySlapp, thanks for the suggestions! I think my biggest obstacle is overcoming the fear and just do it. :p

HappySlapp likes this.
  4. HappySlapp

HappySlapp New Member

Yeah man, I had a big fear of commiting my time to learning these things. But with a bit of time, you'll be able to make games without even needing a team, at least for smaller projects, that is.

I'm glad I was able to help you out, best of luck with your endeavors :D

5. Andy Franklin

Andy Franklin New Member

I'm really new to game development, I always loved games and I saw a advert yesterday for a games development course yesterday from polygon college and have just decided to jump right into it, I don't know if its a great idea yet but I will let you know how it goes. I am really looking forward to creating a game and hopefully creating something really coooooooooooooooool.

Goodluck to you Block, I am going to look into GameMaker HappySlapp it sounds cool

HappySlapp likes this.
  6. HappySlapp

HappySlapp New Member

I wish you best of luck, man :D

I hope it goes well for you, but even if it doesn't, don't give up on what you love to do!

7. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

It's very very hard and expensive to make games (depending on scope of course, but you have that info for yourself). You can't make people build much for $1000. It's not even a week's worth of work for a team of 2. Raising money on Kickstarter is also very very hard and requires a lot of time and dedication just to promote the kickstarter (post news and screenshots, answer questions, get out to people on all social medias, etc. etc..). You have to be constant and consistent. If all you have is a $1000 demo to show, I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't know why so many people think they can make a first game and sell it (or have other people build it for them). Nobody ever says (as far as I know) "I have a great idea for a music album. All I need to do is hire a few musicians to do it for me." Making games is like any other art. It's hard and requires a lot of practice and knowledge and time to get it right.

Get your hands dirty and make it a hobby of yours but don't think about money. Think about having fun doing it, just like you would learning to play the guitar or painting or anything else.

Looking into gamemaker or other tools like that is a good idea. Think HOBBY!!

HappySlapp likes this.
  8. HappySlapp

HappySlapp New Member

This is exactly how I look at game development, I wanna make games for fun, not to impress people. It just isn't very fun to make games just to make money.

kevintrepanier likes this.
  9. Robharvey

Robharvey New Member

Hey it's only $1000 at the end of the day, when you get to your deathbed and think why didn't I do that don't let the money be the factor in you not. I'd say go for it. I can't really think of a general reason why not.