Is 29 too old to start?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Lord_Don, Jul 9, 2006.

1. michalczyk

Original Member

I'm nearly 34 and just started working on my first game. It's never too late to start doing something you are excited about. Go for it! :)

2. Laser Lou

Original Member

29 is not to young .... I mean old. If you consider Python a "very forgiving and understandable language," you're doing very well, and probably don't have to unlearn things that more experienced programmers would.

3. Teq

Teq
    Original Member

Although I started 7 years ago with game modding, I've only recently started working on my own projects (now 28), I don't have much time so it takes a while to get anything done, but its definately worth pursuing :)

4. Lord_Don

Lord_Don New Member

Thanks for all the responses!

Any of my initial efforts will definitely be freeware and/or online game contest entries until I become more confident in my abilities. Nothing like trying to sell My First Game(TM) to sully the image. (Excusing breakout talent like Dan Marshall)

I guess my biggest fear was that it seems like programming is some dark art that only guys with years of experience would even dare to attempt something complicated like a game. Learning programming from square one at 29 with those thoughts in the back of my head probably makes it more daunting than it really is.

With a full time job, a wife, a mortgage and two kids, time is definitely my most precious commodity. Do they make Python for the pocket PC? ;)

5. Greg Squire

Original Member

Try being 37 with a wife, 5 kids, day-job, mortgage, home fix-it projects, etc. You're never too old. I hear you on the "no time left for game development" thing; it's certainly hard to find the time sometimes.

As far as programming goes, there are ways to make a game with little to no programming. You might want to look at these tools: Game Maker, The Games Factory, or Torque Game Builder. They require little to no programming. There are also other tools for specialized game genres (like adventure games), that again require little to no programming also. I should also point out that not everyone on this board is a programmer, there are many who have other skills that are making games too.

There are ways to learn what you may lack. You can “teach an old dog new tricksâ€￾. As long as you have the drive and perseverance, you can reach your goals. Maybe not as fast as you'd like, but it can be done. Don't give up hope before you even start. You can do it!

6. Christian

Original Member

7. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Blows me away how many people on these boards and at the conventions aren't a bunch of youngsters. Seems the gaming industry is becoming all around more mature since it's approx 30 years old now.

8. Agent 4125

Indie Author

I turn 30 on Monday and will be forming my game company on the same day. :)

I learned programming on my own (no courses) 6 years ago with Perl and have been doing it professionally since then. My biggest piece of advice, regardless of what language/engine you choose: read Code Complete!

Joe

9. Davaris

Original Member

Don't forget Flash as a dev tool. Lost of artists seem to use it.

10. RedCloud

RedCloud New Member

If you enjoy it, do it! Who said you have to be young? :D

11. randyedmonds

Original Member

Game design isn't a physical activity thus age isn't a factor. ;)

12. Devman

Original Member

My life is also very busy, and I realized I would never work on my game unless I made the time to do it, so now, 2 days each week (on working weekdays--weekends are packed solid), I go to sleep at 8 pm the night before and wake up at 3:30 am to work on my game until I have to leave for church and then work at 6:15 am.

I'm 28 years old and have only programmed one sellable product--a screensaver, so you can do it!

13. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I started learning both the violin and how to program at 27. I'm turned 28 today, and I'm better at playing the violin than I am at writing a program.

I'm confident age is no barrier... but I think my brain is ;)

14. amaranth

Original Member

Well if 29 is too old to start, then dig me a shallow grave. :p

15. defanual

Original Member

Go for it!

Simply answer, Nope.

If your hands work (perhaps you could get away with toes if hands aren't a option), your brain works and you have the 3 p's (Patience, Persistence and Perseverance), in this industry (especially with the advent of the web) your never to old to start!

No one looks at a good game (hopefully yours will be:)) and goes, nah, i don't think i'll buy that, it may of been made by a 29 year old:D

Go for it, it's worst to look back and end up regretting you didn't give it a go;)

16. LilGames

LilGames New Member

It's easy to think of 30 as old, but in the business world (if you're an entrepreneur) early 40's and under is still considered "young".