IronWill (Demo - WIP!)

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Phantom1029, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Phantom1029

Original Member

Hi,

Here is a small version of the game I am working on. I only have 2 computers which are relatively high end (about 2ghz each), and I would like to see what kind of performance the game gets on maybe lower spec computers. Any comments or other feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am also concerned about the difficulty level of the game. (too easy, hard, etc.)

The game has the ability to save replays, so it would be REALLY great if you could email me your replays to ironwill AT thecorrelation.com. (replace AT with @) To make sure the replays work correctly, please name the file with your score in it. (replays are still a bit fishy!)

somewhat old screenshot, still a good indication of what your downloading... See sig for even more details about the game. This is a WORK IN PROGRESS, many sounds have not been added.

http://www.thecorrelation.com/images/screenshots/ironwill5.jpg

(6MB download)
    http://www.thecorrelation.com/downloads/IronWillDemo.zip

thanks in advance

2. Phantom1029

Original Member

Any takers? I would appreciate some feedback, since the only people that I have gotten any from have been my friends/family, and they are biased. It may not work, so tell me if you get any errors also. Thanks!

3. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'll check it out tomorrow for you when I find a little more time. I'll be running it on a fairly heavy-spec computer, but I'll be happy to give you my usual feedback ;)

4. Phantom1029

Original Member

This is not a good thing to hear, but I do realize I have some old code in there from when I just started coding, most of it not being optimized. There is some real dumb code lurking everywhere. :(

I realize I have been playing this game forever, and I am very good at it, so thanks for the feedback about the difficulty. The bullets are very fast if you aren't used to it, and I will slow them up a bit.

About the inertia: At first I thought it may be too powerful, but then when I took it off the ship moved in jerks, and I hated it. I may tone it down a bit though.

5. robleong

Indie Author

I always like a good scrolling shoot-em-up, and I liked yours! The graphics are quite unique, and somehow, the game reminds me of Platypus... Yes, I agree the enemy fire is very difficult to avoid, so I just didn't get far into the game, but the default replay (of your game presumably) was interesting to watch! It is very playable if you make it easier for people like us! A few suggestions include some enemy able to fire/aim directly at you, special bonuses appearing only if you manage to clear all of a formation of enemies, etc. Keep it up. :)

6. Mrs MiCo Games

Original Member Indie Author

Let me start by saying that this kind of game is not what I normally play, ok? :)

I agree with the others that the alien bullets where pretty fast but that wasn't my biggest problem. I seemed to have a problem with NOT flying into things... don't ask me why... maybe some weird kamikazedream I tried to fulfill or something....

Anyway, I had no problems with it on my rather old machine (450 mhz with a tnt2 graphics card).

7. Phantom1029

Original Member

I worked out a lot of the issues discussed here during the past few days. These improvements are not in the demo version in the link above ... There are now three difficulty modes: normal, hard, and insane. The bullets move much slower in normal, and get faster in hard, etc. I also added some new turrets that fire at
    your position, and added a few other enemies.

I still have a lot more work to do level wise. I thought I was done a month ago - guess not. :rolleyes:

8. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I just got through playing the old version, and everything seemed to work okay. Blitz Basic, eh? ;) Anyway, I think the guys above covered most of the issues, but a few things still came to mind for me.

Is that title music legal? It sounds like a piece I've heard before- and not a freely distributable one at that.

The inertia of the player ship is too high. I kept bumping into things because I'd be sent a mile in each direction, after I let go of a key.

The distructable walls aren't obvious enough to see. I died a number of times trying to shoot what I thought were distructable walls, only to find out they weren't.

How about a bullet hit effect?

I hope the above is helpful :)

9. Nikster

Original Member

I would image the music is (c) free by now as it's ancient, adagio piece, used in lots of films including platoon and been remixed by moby and a few others.. it certainly has done it's rounds :)

10. stan

Original Member Indie Author

Worked fine on an Athlon 850MHz, Radeon 9200 SE 128 MB with updated drivers, Windows 98 se, DirectX 9.

It's decently playable, no inertia problem here. It's not really hard either (I managed to finish the first level on my second try, and IIRC I lost a few lives on my first try while trying to find the fire key(s) :).

One thing that bothers me is the need to use the mouse for the menus, and the keyboard for the game.

About the music, maybe the score is public domain, but the recording probably isn't...

#10 stan, Aug 4, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2004