iQuit

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by m3xican, Feb 23, 2010.

1. m3xican

m3xican New Member

last month I resigned from my day-job in the game industry and starting from today I'm working as full-time indie developer.
    Well, I guess this is not gonna be the news of the month, but I wanted to share it with the main communities I've been following since last year.

For celebrating the new career, I've also made a simple game called iQuit you can download from my website (link in my signature).
    Obviously it's not a real game, I made it just for fun, so don't take it too seriously and don't blame me for the waste of bandwidth if you download it. ;)

Joking apart, I'm really excited for my new life and hope everything is gonna work according to the plans... so see you in the Announcements section soon :)

#1 m3xican, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. KNau

Original Member

Congrats! Welcome to what will probably be one of the most exciting and terrifying periods of your life :)

3. m3xican

m3xican New Member

Thanks, I hope it's gonna be more exciting than terrifying, but I'm ready to take the challenge :)

4. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Congrats on your life decision. Hope it goes well for you.

Now maybe iQuit could be a cool on-shot iphone game. You load it up, enter your bosses email, and then there's a big red I QUIT button in the middle that you joyously press in order to send off an I quit email...

5. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

6. m3xican

m3xican New Member

@Grey Alien: thanks! I'm pretty sure iQuit wouldn't be the first single-button app on the Apple store :)

@Pov: yeah, I knew farbs game and it's much cooler, but I had no time for something real ;)

7. gormlai

gormlai New Member

Congrats. I am doing the same. I've let my current contract run out, and the final work day is tomorrow.. After that, I will be a full time indie developer. Terrifying, even though I've been looking forward to this day for a over a year now :)

8. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

Actually, I worked on a game where the codename was IQuit... it was a stop smoking game for the DS and iPhone... that's why I clicked on this thread, I was wondering if it was anything related.

9. Evil Dan

Evil Dan New Member

That takes some chutzpa! Congrats!!

10. m3xican

m3xican New Member

@Qitsune: hope the company was not Edge games... :rolleyes:

@Evil Dan: thanks! :)

11. CousinGilgamesh

CousinGilgamesh New Member

I usually associate the word 'quitting' with giving up, but this time it's the total opposite. I guess it just goes to show that the world works in figure and ground. Saying no to one thing means saying yes to something entirely different (and possibly better :)). Best of luck!

12. Xathia Vastar

Xathia Vastar New Member

o_O is there anyone in the US who has taken that big step? I'm just wondering how you are able to still able to eat and pay the bills without a source of income if your quit your day job. I mean, it takes time to make a game, and the bills don't stop coming in, and you have to eat...

I'm generally curious about this, because it's been something I've wanted to do for years now. Is there a secret to this or something?

13. mwtb

Original Member

Not unless savings are a secret.

14. Grey Alien

Indie Author

... and reducing your expenses drastically and leveraging credit.

15. m3xican

m3xican New Member

@CousinGilgamesh: I really appreciated your words, thanks :)

@Xathia Vastar: no secrets, I've been saving money for years, now I decided to take the leap and I'm risking everything. In the worst case, I'll have to come back to the industry or find any other job, but that's a possibility I'm not considering right now. ;)

16. Rubs

Original Member

Congrats, m3xican! Best of luck! I can't wait to push that button myself :)

17. m3xican

m3xican New Member

@Rubs: thanks, pushing that button was one of the most exciting things in my life. Wish you all the best as well ;)