iPod touch vs iPhone

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Roman Budzowski, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Hi
    Is it just me or is iPod touch really iPhone - "phone" thing? iPod touch 4th gen is 4 times cheaper than iPhone 4th gen, so I wonder if it's good enough to buy just iPod to develop games for iOS.

Roman

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

When I developed for the previous version I just bought an iPod touch and could develop on it just fine, I don't think things have changed!

3. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It absolutely is, yes. Save your money.

Actually, they'd better watch emselves because with bundling in that facetime jobber, and the preponderance of "just get on with it" free WiFi points, the iPod is practically a cell phone anyway.

4. richtaur

Indie Author

I highly recommend just paying the bit extra to get an iPad at this point. It can run any iOS game, whereas an iPhone or iPod Touch cannot install iPad games.

5. MFS

MFS New Member

The iPad is much more powerful than the 2nd and 3rd generation iPhones -- which means you may end up with things that are totally unplayable on those devices if you solely test on the iPad.

To the original question: the iPods are very, very similar to their generation equivalent iPhone and can be used for testing those generations amply, lest you absolutely push memory limit to the max in certain cases. We currently test across an iPad, 4th gen iPod, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G, where the 4th gen iPod is equivalent to iPhone 4 except with less RAM. The 4th gen iPod was ~$230 whereas an unsubsidized iPhone 4 is $800. Our testing suite was ran on both the 4th gen iPod and an iPhone 4 and there were no difference in the results.

This is also a really useful page to compare exact device specs: iOS Devices.

6. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Thanks! :)

I plan to get iPod touch 4th gen and iPad 1st gen. I am still wondering on iPad though, but since I don't plan to use it except for game dev, I'll probably stick to 1st gen to see how my games work on "low end" machine ;-)

Roman

7. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I've got an Ipod 2nd gen and an Ipad. The Ipad is way faster than my Ipod. If you plan to convert PC games to IOS then the Ipad is not a bad idea as the 1024x768 screen is identical to most default res.

>I am still wondering on iPad though, but since I don't plan to use it except for game dev

I bet you that your Ipad will become your household best friend. Mine is never in my office as my wife or kids keep steeling it.

JC

8. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

I just got an iPad1, and have a few iPod touches, and an original iPhone. Worth having min spec target hardware to test performance. Wouldn't dream of buying latest iPhone though, way too pricey. Defo think iPad1 is a good buy now, and like the fact that it's thicker than iPad2 (some reporting it gets too hot etc).

9. Jim Buck

Indie Author

If you are serious about doing iOS development, you really need one of each type of device. There are differences between them that, depending on what you are developing, you will get different behaviors of your app. We're wrapping up the iPhone and iPhone4 versions of Autodesk TinkerBox, and we're working through issues where there's differences even between an iPod Touch3 and iPhone3.. as well as iPhone3 and iPad running the iPhone3 version of the game. So, "emulation" is not perfect there.