iOS. Universal or separate apps?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Grey Alien, Nov 29, 2011.

1. plasticcow

plasticcow New Member

from a buyers point of view if i'm teetering on the edge of whether or not to buy a game, seeing that its universal will often make me take a punt.

Looking at your pros & cons for the separate app, I don't know enough about the project but is the 20mb limit going to be a problem for a match 3?
    I worked on a project where we had an awful lot of gfx assets and we managed to squeeze it in under the 20mb.

And just to throw this in there, i'm sure you could have separate apps using the same highscore in openfeint but obviously you will have to drop game center support as simonh pointed out.

2. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Unfortunately it's over 20MB because the non-Pro version of unity makes a stupid 14Mb large exe and the game has lots of music and graphics.

3. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I shall hold my tongue. :)

4. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

5. hippocoder

Indie Author

I wouldn't do 2 apps. It means they both flop on appstore rankings, players get pissed off at you, and the world ends.

6. Man of Ice

Man of Ice New Member

After long pondering in our end, we are also in the universal crowd. While the separate pricing is the real issue - people seem OK with paying for our more niche oriented games at a higher price point (we sell at $5 for universal).

As a player - and owner of too many devices - I am also looking for universal support when I buy things. I simply dont want to pay for the same game twice to be able to play it on the couch with my ipad and on the phone when I'm traveling.

One thing I wished more games had is sync game status to some central place (be it your own PHP solution or Game Center or similar).

/T

7. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Isn't that what iCloud allow?

JC

8. Man of Ice

Man of Ice New Member

Yep - thats what (amongst other technologies) iCloud allows - if you run iOS 5 etc.etc. But since very few games implement this yet, roll your own is also possible. But very few - including ourselves - actually do it. But as a gamer I find it annoying.

Mostly off-topic to this thread - sorry.

9. Applewood

Doesn't the iCloud thing "just work" ?

(We've obviously not coded anything specific either, but as I read it we don't have to)

10. jcottier

jcottier New Member

That is what I thought: If the user allow icloud, Apple will automatically "icloud" the Document folder. This is why they recommand to not put tmp or "non user created" files into that folder. But that's just from memory... I haven't tested the thing yet.

JC

11. jcottier

jcottier New Member

12. Applewood

Well, the gauntlet is finally picked up. Too early to tell if I get to slap anyone in the face with it :) , but for now please be upstanding for "Fruit Blitz"

This took longer than intended but wasn't a full time endeavour and it's turned out pretty good imo. Simple but direct and to the point just like all of our other stuff. Android version is out now, iOS coming in a week or so.

[​IMG]