iOS business models

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Jamie W, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

New game is getting closer and closer to completion; and I'm considering my options with regards to: price point on app-store, in-app purchases, etc.

Are there any good sources of what does / doesn't work on the app-store?

I'm considering either:

A: Sell my game at the lowest tier, for an inital period, before ramping it up to tier 2 or 3 after a week or so. Have several updates, each will contain new content(FREE) and new cars (sold as IAPs).

B: Give the game away free. First so many levels in the game you get free; IAP to access extra levels or to buy better cars.

It's a top-down racer by the way...

Any thoughts?

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

One thing I think I got wrong is what you suggest. I'd now put the price up a bit on release - soak up all the people that'd buy it whatever, then drop the price after a week and show up on all the sites that track such things.

3. Jamie W

Yep, that's a good point Paul.

My thinking on the low initial price, for say just the first week, is to help your chart position and visibiliy.

I think it could help to keep changing price from time to time anyway; the only drawback being that it kinds harms your credebility, if it's obvious you're going to change your prices; people will just wait till you're selling at $.99. Maybe best not to overdo it, just have mini sales from time to time, maybe twice a year.

I think my main decision is to sell or give it away and include IAPs.

Really a bit in the dark, as to what the most efficient approach is though! :S

4. Applewood

Just remember this though, people know damn well there'll be a sale at some point anyway, so those that can be arsed to wait will wait, period. If you try and psych them out, you'll lose. :)

Free with IAP will put you in the free games chart and that's a seriously hard hill to climb.

5. richtaur

Indie Author

If you have in-app purchases wouldn't you want the game to be free to reach as wide an audience as possible? That seems to be effective for other developers.

6. Jamie W

I wonder if the free with IAP model, works better for some type of games than others?

How about selling the game, plus, offering IAPs? Would that be a rip-off? (and lead to lots of 1* reviews)

7. Applewood

Depends on the IAP's.

Our game offers a couple of extra campaigns to unlock for a buck and they're very popular. Other types of games that use IAP as a sort of "progress tax" to keep going in what looks like the main game attract a lot of hate. Games that use consumable iap for in game cash to buy farms etc are called 'freemium' and attact uber hate. They also make the most income. :S

8. plasticcow

plasticcow New Member

I released moto-x-racer (over a year ago now) and had a play around with pricing. Just with tiers 1 & 2. I found it didnt really make a noticeable difference to the income generated, just an improved chart position obviously.
    I released a lite version (with 3 of 16 tracks) not long after the full version and it went to No1 in mexico, No6 in the US and UK free charts.
    Recently I released the full version with Ad support a couple of months ago after sales almost completely died off. The ad-support version got nowhere of note in the free charts but its ticking over nicely. I definitely feel I missed a trick not doing ad-support + IAP's from day one though.

9. jpoag

jpoag New Member

10. Dingo Games

Indie Author

Is that book a worthwhile read for an experienced iPhone developer? I also wonder how current the information is. Many techniques that worked a year or two ago no longer work. (Published date is March 2011, so the information is a least that old - likely much older)

11. LiquidShock

LiquidShock New Member

good book, a pretty interesting read. I learned alot from it and the marketing parts can also be used for non iOS apps/games.

12. jpoag

jpoag New Member

It's primarily a business book. If you are an experienced iOS dev, then parts of the book are going to be uninformative. I'd suggest stopping by a Book Store, buying a coffee, and leafing through the book. Or using the Amazon link to look through the ToC.

Second Editions get to market faster than first editions. Also, part of the book stresses market research. If the information is stale, the process of research isn't.

It worries me that you think information that is 3+ months old is already out-of-date. Free2Play, Freemium, etc.. aren't new business models.

13. Dingo Games

Indie Author

I'm sure much of the information in the book will stay relevant for a long time. "Do Market Research" will always be true. However, specifics on the App Store change very quickly - 6 months can be a long time.

I'm assuming they did a good job updating the book. Sometimes 2nd editions have little new information in them... and 2 year old information about the App Store would be rather useless.

In any case, sounds like people like the book - I'll probably pick it up.

14. jpoag

jpoag New Member

I'm not trying to attack you specifically. Re-reading my post seems that way. I apologize.

In any event, 6 months is a long time. I won't argue that. What I contend is that solid business strategies aren't affected by short periods of time.

However, I will agree that you can't operate on 3+ month old information.

This book isn't that.