Investing in game

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by WaveRider, Feb 26, 2013.

1. WaveRider

Indie Author

I've been thinking about investing in some indie games and/or indie studios. Does anyone know where I can begin looking?
    Please don't say kickstarter, I'm not looking to throw away money so I can have a NPC named after me.

#1 WaveRider, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

If you have money to invest, wouldn't it be better invested in employing a development team to work on your own ideas?

3. chaosavy

chaosavy New Member

Kickstarter is actually a great place - wait a sec hear me out - there's indie game devs there, so why don't you contact them and make them an offer?

You see their pitch, you see the $ they are looking for, their time estimates, you see the interest in their game via the number of backers and comments, seems like a great place to look for potential games to invest in.

4. Stropp

Stropp New Member

@Desktop Gaming :- answer to your question. Not always. It depends on where Waverider's company is at. It may be more cost effective for him to invest in or buy established businesses or IPs than to gamble on his own product. And developing games on new IPs does seem to be more of a gamble than prudent investing.

In the long term it seems to be where most companies end up at. If they're successful they either buy or get bought.

5. shay.yizhak

shay.yizhak New Member

I guess it depends on how much you're looking to invest.
    If it's a low sum (a 100 bucks or so) - just go to kickstarter. You won't find a better place for it.
    If you're looking to invest medium or large sums (thousands to the millions of dollars) - you're better off looking for a company you like, or believe in, and contacting them directly. You can look for them here, in other forums and in indieDB.
    You can also advertise that you're looking for a company to invest in, and let them come to you. Pitch their idea to you, and you choose whichever suits you best.

6. Medeival

Original Member

You can look here but I not sure how it work because for today they have no complete games.

www.gambititous.com

"This is how Gambitious works

Developers set their own funding goal (€20,000 up to €2.5 million), project terms, and decide if they (partly) go for funding through equity raise or through pledge/donations.

Developers determine the rewards or how much equity they are willing to offer investors in return."

7. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Gambitious looks interesting -thanks for posting that Medeival.