Introversion Is Saved By Steam Deal

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by jrjellybeans, Aug 26, 2010.

1. jrjellybeans

jrjellybeans New Member

Hey did anybody else check out this story about the Introversion guys?

Steam Sale Saves Develepor Kotaku Article

Pretty incredible that things have been going so badly for them. I wonder what the reason was...

In addition, I found some of the comments pretty interesting.

2. defanual

Original Member

The Power of Steam...:D

Great to hear they're still alive, kicking and in good order again! :)

3. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

It always strikes me that introversions games eschew common control systems to their detriment. Darwinia felt weird and uncontrollable to me, although aesthetically interesting. Same with multiwinia etc.

But I think their bigger problem is that the rely on Chris for the creative drive and thats a really hard thing to push onto one person. I dont think I could work in a company and be the only real creative force. Its just too much of a burden. I might be wrong about that, maybe theyre all creative to some extent, but I get the feeling from various posts theyve made that Chris is the only one and I think it hurts them not to have another person calling bullshit on some of his design decisions.

4. Vino

Vino New Member

I'm removed from their inner workings so anything I say is of course invalid and should be ignored.

From the looks of it to me, it seems like the company underwent what you could call a correction. They grew too fast and got too big for themselves and ended up having to downsize. The article says that the company has four developers on the team now -- I would pin a developer with their kind of products to be only somewhat larger than that.

My first reaction when I heard the news that they had to downsize was "Again?" Seems this company has been plagued with financial problems, I've heard of this kind of thing before from them. Despite that I wish them luck, it's hard to see a company that makes such good games have these kinds of problems. I should hope they're able to learn from whatever their mistakes were.

5. RichHW

RichHW New Member

XBLA and Microsoft have proved to be very bad for Introversion - with the additional features and what-not required by Microsoft causing the game to be delayed.

Its fair to say that XBLA is a very un-indie friendly place to be, which is a real shame. Another example is Tuna and Cletus Clay - http://www.tunahq.com/2010/07/riverof/

So right now it seems to be XBLIG or nothing.

6. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Shit, you shoulda seen what they made us do to defcon for the DS! :)

Pinnacle's collapse probably hurt them as it did us and doubtless other smaller concerns. Plus Multiwinia on XBox was a big mistake in my book. I tried to warn them about the issues but tbh they're so bad everyone probably thinks I over-exagerate the problems.

I do hope they recover though. We often use those guys as a model for where Rubicon should be aiming in terms of self supportiveness and generally being indie at a studio level.

7. Applewood

Fuck me! We were involved in that too - they were using our engine tech. Maybe I should just stick to programming and find someone else to source the business end. lmao.

8. Chris Evans

Anybody willing to explain how XBLA became so unfriendly to indies? Especially since certain people *cough* ;) were saying it was a great opportunity for indies just a year or two ago.

I'm honestly curious how their policies/environment changed.

9. jrjellybeans

jrjellybeans New Member

My impression was that XBLA has been a hard platform to get into for the last couple of years (I actually don't know how long it's been up).

Although, searching "What's wrong with XBLA" brought me some interesting articles including THIS ONE. The Joe Danger people say that there's a strong disparity between top sellers and the rest...

In any case, I thought Cletus was going to be available for the PC...

10. Applewood

I guess that's my cue! When I started bemoaning it they were chronically understaffed and everything moved at a glacial pace, plus their QA/lotcheck was starting to get ridiculous. Since then it's gotten worse in that they wont return calls unless it's from the big studios - XBLA has been rebadged as a premier game delivery system aiui but tbh I'm not looking anymore.

And before anyone says that lotcheck and QA are important, here are two example fails. The first was ours, the second is one I hand picked from one of our clients games that we werent involved in but they told us about.

1) We had a 3 month conversation about the network keepalive ping we sent periodically. After 3 *months* or arguing about it they admitted it wasn't a bug but by then we missed the Shogi world championships and lost all our launch money/plans.

2) Whilst playing a network game, if you swap the sidecars of the xboxes involved, the game does not recognise it's being played by different people. Remember this is for a network game here!

The other general factor is just the shear volume of stuff you have to do. It's a requirement to support internet gaming and VOIP for example. Both of which aren't exactly indie level, especially when you see the things you need to handle.

11. cliffski

Microsofts and other console owners DEMANDS that you support new trendy feature X or Y are just pure flipping drivel. Its bullshit spouted by marketing people who wouldnt understand game design if it slapped them in the face.
    If all they want is Halo clones, then fine, thats all they get, but the idea that all good game design would work with motion controllers and VOIP chat is just ignorant at the extreme.
    Thank Kahless I'm a PC developer and don't have to deal with all that drivel.

12. Applewood

Total agreement. Problem is it's their bat and their ball.

It's a real shame because it really was a good earner at the start and wasn't that much harder to support if you're already had a DX9 pc version.

Still, pointless moaning about missed opportunities. Fuck em.

13. ManuelMarino

Original Member

I was reading about developers going for PlayStation Network exclusives... maybe for this reason, but I still have faith in XBLA and want to see the next months releases and read next developers interviews...