Introducing: Waveform

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by RyanVandendyck, Nov 3, 2011.

1. RyanVandendyck

RyanVandendyck New Member

Hey everyone!

My name is Ryan and I'm the founder of Eden Industries. Our first game Waveform is nearing release and I figured that's a good reason to stop just being a lurker around here and post something interesting :)

So without further ado, here's the trailer we made for this year's IGF entry:

It's a pretty unique game since it's played by controlling a wave! Anyway I hope you guys think it's as cool as I do, and I'd love to hear any comments or questions you might have!

We have a kickstarter project ready to launch soon, so I'll have some more info about that soon. But for now thanks for checking out our game!

#1 RyanVandendyck, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. MtM0201

MtM0201 New Member

Wow, that's a game I'll be looking forward to. Really unique, and looks really challenging 0:35 and onward.
    Nice trailer!

3. Davidgraey

Davidgraey New Member

Concept seems very unique, looking forward to hearing more about it.

4. RyanVandendyck

Thanks! I'm glad you guys liked it! I'm hoping to get the Kickstarter project launched on monday, so I'll have much more information about the game accompanying that, so stay tuned! :)

If you check out my website (www.edenindustries.ca) there's some other cool info about the game, including concept art and the inspiration for the game in case you find that kind of stuff interesting!

5. AnthemAudio

Original Member

I'm curious to hear how/if the music is affected by either the waveform you control, the level you are playing, or how you are performing. I understand you are taking the premise of a waveform from a mathematical source and as an audio engineer, I take the idea of a waveform from a sonic perspective so I'm thinking of different elements affecting the shape and function of your waveform, say a compressor squaring off the amplitude, a change in oscillator behavior producing triangle and square waves for starters, a small shift in voltage producing a DC offset. Maybe that's getting ultra nerdy but I think there'd be a way to make it all digestable.

Either way, I'll be following progress!

6. RyanVandendyck

Fantastic questions AnthemAudio! Early on in the game I had to make a decision about whether I wanted to focus more on the mathematical/scientific aspect of waves, or the auditory aspects of waves. Since I don't have experience with audio engineering, I chose the former option!

That being said, however, I think Waveform has a lot of potential for interesting gameplay involving audio. Due to the uniqueness of the game, I'm actually planning on creating a number of spin-off games that take the gameplay in a bit of a new direction while retaining the core experience of manipulating a wave since I think the idea has room to support more gameplay than is included in the base version of Waveform.

The first one I'd like to do is actually one that more heavily involves audio in the game. But as I said, I don't really have experience with audio engineering, so as soon as I find a good audio engineer that one will be in the works! :)