Intro to my new game: "Moonscion"

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by MrBear, May 13, 2008.

1. Teeth

Original Member

yes it's great. now go make the game

2. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

:D That's quite funny :D

MrBear: I think you need to realize that even if we wanted to, we honestly couldn't comment on your concept on its own. Concept can only really be judged in context of the rest of the game (mechanics, graphical style, etc).

Have you got gameplay worked out yet? Then share it as context, even if you're not looking for feedback on it yet. If you haven't worked it out yet, you need to, so you can share it as context for your concept.

In addition, I'd say you need some concept sketches, game-screen mockups etc as visual aids, something that gets us excited and allows us to share your vision of the game, for any feedback to be useful.

so yeah, more information please...

#22 Mattias Gustavsson, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  3. ChiefRedThunder

ChiefRedThunder New Member

Mr.Bear;

Sometimes when I design I have the general idea of the story behind the game first. Or sometimes its just a few characters, heck sometimes its nothing at all. But what I generally do is think about the play mechanics. How is this game going to play, and function within the idea of the story. 90% of the time I think the game play, controller, how everything will function is more important then your concept story. But its nice to have a story to hook your employees with an idea for design elements like GUIs, character concepts, and so on.

So think of both when it comes to over all design... and good luck.

4. MrBear

MrBear New Member

I have to say
    you've all been great!

Thanks!

5. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

This is something I'm probably going to be trying with my first game. I may change my mind, but the idea for now is to make it, and the first "complex" (20 levels), free. Then I have a couple of other projects that I want to work on, which will also be free, at least for the basic game.

Eventually, I want to have a website that users can sign up to and deposit money in their accounts... then I'll have everything based on small payments of one form or another. For this first game, it would be additional complexes (each with 20 levels) for a few bucks a pop... for others it could be unlocking multiplayer capability, or whatever.

I might even do something whereby beating a game/level set/whatever pays back maybe 25% of the credits into your account... give people a real incentive to play games all the way through. For the multiplayer games, I could also have tournaments with a small entry fee and prizes in the form of credits for the winners. I'd have to look into gambling legislation for that, but I think it would be okay in most places since a) the credits are non-refundable and have no cash value, so the prizes are only redeemable for other services/products within the site, and b) the games would be skill-based.

6. scotty42

scotty42 New Member

MrBear,
    I'm a high school game design teacher and since it's summer I have some time to kill. I'll help you with your game for FREE if you'd be willing to let my class participate in the testing. This is the game you needed a programmer for, right? to At the very least the process will teach you as a team leader how to communicate with a programmer :)
    -Scotty

7. hama

hama New Member

The story gotta be damn good, if he wants me to pull out my $10 to continue playing the game's story :) cuz not even System Shock could do that ;)

8. Nexic

Indie Author

If the story is going to be the main selling point of this game then to put it bluntly you're completely screwed.