Interesting Marketing Tactic - Releasing Game in a Torrent Site

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by HarryBalls, Sep 16, 2011.

1. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

#1 HarryBalls, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. jpoag

jpoag New Member

3. j0d1

j0d1 New Member

I love the gameplay. It's a really hard game though.

4. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

No, not an interesting marketing tactic, as it it's not very repeatable, and practically voids all attempts at teaching future generations that piracy is bad.

5. j0d1

j0d1 New Member

Hmmm I think their point is that:
    - piracy is a reality
    - their game is going to be pirated even with DRM (that pissed off legit buyers)
    - "pirates" are people that won't buy their game anyway

They're trying to change the later from "won't" to "maybe, will".

6. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Releasing a game on torrents with in-app purchases could be a valid tactic. But yeah it's like feeding the animals at the zoo.

7. richtaur

Indie Author

It's brilliant. This thread is proof that their tactic worked marvelously. I've been hearing about them and their game constantly, and that was their goal. The evidence is in the exposure.

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Exactly. The tactic was to get talked about, my bet is they made ZERO money from that torrent site (and we cannot know anyway).

9. jpoag

jpoag New Member

10. Artinum

Original Member

And it's fundamentally useless as a marketing technique, because it won't work a second time. The uniqueness of it is what counts.

11. Bad Sector

Original Member

Of course it is repeatable, just not in this particular way (although i'm willing to bet that if this happens a couple of more times it will also get talked - once it is common it wont). The "tactic" isn't to release a modified game in a torrent site, but mess with pirates in ways they don't expect. Like when cliffsky "talked" with pirates or when the authors of Zeno Clash commented in many torrent sites saying they hope that people downloading the game will find it entertaining enough and buy it (which resulted in some torrents being voluntarily removed or altered to contain the message). Both cases made the news pages of several sites at the time and i'm sure there are others i don't remember (i only remember these two because cliffsky is around here and Zeno Clash is a game i liked a lot :p).

12. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

A tactic only really works when you cash it in and make money.
    Have these guys made a huge amount of money?

13. jpoag

jpoag New Member

$26K from kickstarter. No telling how much from licensing (although I would assume licensing would go down with the game freely available on torrent sites, but I could be wrong).

14. Reives Freebird

Reives Freebird New Member

Not like it wouldn't be available on torrent sites if he didn't release the pirate hat version there though.