Installing the DX Texture format Plug-in to CS3.

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by AlexN, Jul 7, 2007.

1. AlexN

Original Member

Hi,

I've just ungraded my Photoshop to CS3, this time it's installed on a Mac. One thing I noticed is that, the file extension in Plug-Ins -> File Formats have been changed to .plugin, they used to be .8bi, and that's what the file extension in the DX SDK is.

How do I install D3DXTextureFormat.8bi to CS3? I tried clicking it, and placing the file to the folder, both didn't work.

Thanks

2. Nikster

Original Member

The plugins for PC are dll's I guess they will be different for mac, so you'll need to download the correct version of a plugin for either mac/windows.

3. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Dumping it in the plugin folder should work. I'm using plenty of 8bf plugins with CS3. (not sure about 8bi vs 8bf...)

- S

4. Nikster

Original Member

Svero, you're using windows plugins on a mac ? 8bi(mporter) 8bf(ilter)

5. svero

Oh.. no I didn't read carefully enough. I thought the plugin difference was something new to version cs3 -- disregard my previous answer. I'm using win.

6. AlexN

Original Member

Okay, so .8bi is a Windows format, and .plugin is Mac format? Correct? The .8bi plugin works on my windows PS7, but doesn't work on my mac CS3.

The one that comes with DX SDK is .8bi, so where can I get the mac version?

7. Nikster

Original Member

Well, being microsoft they probably won't bother with anything mac, i think the nvidia one is PC only as well, you might be hard pushed to find one, but one may exist if you google hard.

8. Jonas

Indie Author

I kinda figured that CS3 Extended would allow you do export your textures to DX anyhow. Since Plug ins are binary apps, if I recall correctly, its like trying to run a Windows app on OSX. They use windows resources etc.

If it's not a task you do all the time, I guess you could run bootcamp with your old windows Photoshop.

Anyone have a take of CS3 so far over CS2 for game dev tasks? Did ya pick up the extended version with the 3d stuff?

9. Nikster

Original Member

I'm still waiting for version CS3 at work, I'm just praying it doesn't bust my interoping :( or at least I hope using CS2 Com will work with CS3 also.

10. svero

I've been using CS3..non extended... From comparisons with people who've been using CS2 and what I know about the new features I'd say most of them are more useful for editing photography -- like improved color correction and compositing etc... You might find some use for non-destructive smart filters and I think the new interface is pretty good. Maybe some of the extended features would be more game-helpful.