Insane amount of refunds with plimus !

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by jmc, Nov 18, 2009.

1. jmc

jmc
    Original Member

I have been selling some affiliate games for a while now and the amount of refunds via plimus is just incredible, it seems that people buy and claim an instant refund. Is that normal or is it just me ?

I've been mainly switching to the bfg affiliate program and stopped affiliating plimus products because of that.

Am i alone to experience an incredibly high % of refunds ?
    Jmc.

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Same experience with direct sales here. I still use Plimus for few affiliates that still wants to use it with custom builds, but my main vendor is now BMT (luckily!!).
    The refund rate / chargebacks/ fraud orders of plimus right now is probably x100 higher than any other vendor I've ever tried.

3. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Am i alone to experience an incredibly high % of refunds ?

What is the %?

4. puddinlover

puddinlover New Member

It means percent

5. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

That hasn't been my experience. I've affiliated dozens of games through Plimus, and I've never seen one refund.

Granted my volume is probably lower than most - I sell 10-20 affiliated games through Plimus each month.

6. dewitters

Original Member

Oh that's what it is! I was wondering what that modulus operator was doing there? ;)

Seriously though, I also don't have any problems with that. Only had a partial refund so far, but my numbers can be compared to those of GolfHacker.

#6 dewitters, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  7. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

I know what % is, I just want to know the actual figure in % of those refunded sales.

"Incredibly high" to me is also incredibly subjective.

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

When I was using both vendors, I had a refund request a week. After talking with the person, was CLEAR just an attempt to get a free game. Lot of them were like "I didn't like the game" (a classic, what is the demo for?) or "there is a bug" (which then they were unable to describe).

I know there can be problem when you start having a decent volume of sales: but I wasted hours trying to reply them all through the great plimus panel (login/send message/logoff and repeat), while all those (false) issues could have been easily solved in 5minutes by email!!! (what happens now)
    So isn't about the % of refunds request, is about MY TIME LOST. With BMT, I don't waste more than a few seconds replying by email.

I told them 100 times that the font size=128 "ASK FOR REFUND" button on TOP of receipt (yes, even before the serial code!!!) was a BAD IDEA. But they ignored me (and many other vendors).

So far me, phelios, cliffski and a few others I don't remember moved to BMT a few years ago after they introduced this great new feature.

9. Maupin

Original Member

As a customer I'll never, ever, ever use Plimus again after they called me with that creepy robotic phone call to verify my purchase.

Wasn't there mention a while back that, after every purchase, Plimus sends the customer an email message with an obvious refund link? I know their high rate of refunds has been mentioned before.

Edit: Ah yes, I see Jack's message. Sending a refund link to the customer before they've even seen their unlock code is ridiculous.

10. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

I personally dislike the BMT control panel which looks messy to me.
    The one in Plimus is neat (but the site is horribly slow).
    All in all I like the Plimus features better.

I agree it's a bit silly to tempt customers with a big sized "ask a refund" link. :confused:

EDIT:
    Indeed..... :/

Someone needs to email this thread to the Plimus staff. :)

#10 Indinera, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well even if they move the button down, putting a refund link in the same confirmation email is not good anyway. They should just let developer handle it as they want.

12. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Just a mention that we released a new control panel this summer. :)

Thanks,
    Thomas

13. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

The lowdown:

Plimus:
    Awesome features
    slow customer service
    Very high refund rate and chargebacks.

BMT:
    Awesome customer service
    Average features & website

Fastspring:
    Great website charting stuff
    Good customer service

It depends what is important to you.
    Obviously the charges and costs and so on are also a factor.

14. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

What's the interest of Plimus to keep a refund feature? Any idea?

15. Jack Norton

Indie Author

If they don't have changed it: when they refund, they KEEP their fee. So they lose nothing, while the devs lose their commission fee (and time).
    I agree on what cliff said. Is amazing to see a vendor doing a sort of self-suicide with just "ONE FEATURE". If they didn't had this high refund/chargeback rate, I probably would still be using them.

16. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Yeah they keep their fees but look at the bigger picture: you went away because of the chargebacks, so did others. I'm not sure "keeping their fee" on each chargeback makes up for this.

So the question still stands - why keeping a refund option?
    It seems to me they would have more vendors without it.

17. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well I asked them several times but apparently was an essential feature that they couldn't remove. So, I decided to move away :)

18. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I've been meaning to purchase a copy of one of the Lux games from Sillysoft, so I decided this was a good time so I could check this out for myself. Apparently the big refund button is gone. Both my receipt and my registration e-mail were text-only. There was no refund button or link, just a link to the online order locator page. So it appears that Plimus did fix this problem.

Here was the basic text of the customer receipt e-mail:

The purchase complete page that I was redirected to at the conclusion of the transaction did not have a big refund button either.

19. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

That is good news, thanks for checking. :)

20. Jack Norton

Indie Author