Indies at GDC

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by zoombapup, Feb 1, 2009.

1. dannthr

dannthr New Member

I can understand if you have to travel far, the expense is pretty bad, but if you're within striking distance of SF, I would highly recommend it.

2. ChrisP

Indie Author

He's in Finland. I probably wouldn't classify that as "striking distance", myself. :)

Given that I'm sitting way over on the other side of the Pacific Ocean, and GDC clashes with my university term this year anyway, I'm going to have to chime in with an "I wish!". :(

3. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Well if I don't show up who's going to pay for everyone's dinner? I vote for those fat cats over at Reflexive... James!!

4. Game Producer

Yeh, I live in Finland... but still it would be nice to actually attend GDC some year :)

5. TimS

Original Member

For those who want to see the Buca happy hour from last year...

and for Brian... who I believe said he'd hurt me if I didn't post this.

[​IMG]

(guess there's no more inline images)

If anyone wants the full sizer (3072 x 2304) because you always wanted James' eyes as a desktop wallpaper or whatever, let me know.

Sorry I only got half the table... I tried to get everyone else, but it didn't work out so well.

Spot your favorite indiegamer forum regular!

-T

6. Acord

Acord New Member

Wow - there's so much geek in one place it's a wonder everyone didn't get their virginity back! heheheheh

Seriously though - looked it up, and it's a 14 hour drive. That's just way, way too far for my little old civic.

7. Game Producer

Are you trying to scare people away :eek:

:D

8. dannthr

dannthr New Member

There is a London GDC sometime in late Summer or Fall, that might classify more as striking distance.

From what I can tell, northern Europe is having a boom of dev studios everywhere, so it probably won't be long.

9. Game Producer

Sounds pretty good to me.

10. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Late to the thread party, but I'll be there. IGF Mobile and all.

11. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

I'd really prefer a night to a lunch, just because I always feel I'm overbooked during the day and night is a time without as many time contraints.
    That said, M, Tue, Thr are all good by me and I'll make lunch work if that is best.
    Wed night is the awards and I always catch the IGF, though I rarely stay long after that myself. Don't know what others do, but that might be a good time as well?

There is never a time when everyone can make it, but we usually find friends and have 50% more people than we expect (or more!). I appreciate and love to take advantage of people reserving for us, count me in for 2 people whenever it is!

#31 cyrus_zuo, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  12. zoombapup

Actually, the european GDC is run in paris now. Its in either June or July this year. I'll be there the day after for our AI gamedev meeting/workshop thingie, so might make it there a bit early and have a day at the GDC too.

13. Matthew

Indie Author

There all week (along with the rest of the guys)! I'll try to make whatever Indiegamer gathering goes down...

14. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Hopefully I'll go to the Canadian one. Not going to the US one.

15. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Man, lazy Vancouver'ers. ;)

Anyways, all booked for *REAL* GDC now. Not the faux Canadian GDC. :D

16. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Seriously, it's not GDC if it's not in San Francisco ;)

So what's the deal, when's the get-together? My business cards are ready and I've pre-licked my palms for some hand shaking! :D

17. joshuadallman

Original Member

I'm game for an indiegamer meetup. Mon-Tue are the summits and tutorials (daytime) for those of us attending those. I agree with Russ that night time is better with less going on except for the after-parties. Thursday night would work well. I'll check in on this thread to see what's organized.

18. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I'll be at GDC and am game for a meetup but have no idea when would be good. I'll be pretty tasked with Game Connection and other possible meetings.

19. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

Monday or Tuesday night would be the only times I could make it.

If I don't manage to see you all at the dinner, do come by the IGF booth for IncrediBots to say hi!

20. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

I'll be there and I prefer Tuesday dinner... Monday works too. :)