Indies at GDC?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Matt2East, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Matt2East

Original Member

I'm curious to see how many people on here are attending GDC this year. Is it a worthwhile conference to be at for independent game developers? Why / why not?

2. MFS

MFS New Member

I'll be there. My professional company is actually sending me, but once there I am mostly interested in things that pertain to the indie side. I've always enjoyed GDC, but I can see why some indies would think it is a waste of money.

3. Matthew

Indie Author

I happen to the think the Independent Games Summit is worth it for indies: http://www.gdconf.com/conference/igs.htm (but I helped plan it, so I may be biased).

An obvious downside of the GDC is cost, though, both the conference and lodging in SF...

4. Corvus

Corvus New Member

I'll be there. I volunteer as a CA, which pays for my pass and gives me a shot at cheap lodgings.

5. sillytuna

Indie Author

I will be there!

6. vjvj

Indie Author

That's generally the way to go when one is on a budget. IIRC, you get the Freakin' Sweet Pass, too.

7. Corvus

Corvus New Member

Plus it's a great way to expand your community and a direct inroad to meeting some pretty influential people in the industry.

8. TimS

Original Member

I'll be there... wearing the same bright shirt as Corvus.

Agreed. Unless you've got money fallling out of the sky on your head... Volunteer!

I'd say yes... even if you have to just get the cheapest expo pass. The publishers are there, the distributors are there, and there's a good sized indie developer presence. As long as you don't mind talking to people you don't know, you'll meet a lot of interesting people and make a lot of friendly business acquaintances.

It's even more valuable if you're new to the whole indie thing. Some of the tutorial stuff and roundtable discussions in the past have been pretty darned informative. If you've been an indie for 10 years or something similar these may not be as interesting to you.

Hell... if I was REALLY strapped for cash I might just go to the Bay Area for that week for the parties... that's probably just me though.

9. Matthew

Indie Author

Volunteering is great--I've been to 7 conferences as a CA. It's a totally difference conference from that perspective, too, and not at all in a bad way (some even prefer it).

10. Corvus

Corvus New Member

So it's a good thing we're both skinny. Hopefully our shifts will correspond or one of us will find himself shirtless... and it isn't going to be me.

In all seriousness, I have found that when you are given a choice of contributing time, talent and energy or contributing money, give the time, talent and energy every time. This is for reasons greater than mere frugality. When you contribute your energy to an event or organization, you become a direct part of its success or failure. Either way, the lessons to be learned and connections to be made are invariably far, far (far, I say, far!) greater than what you reap by merely buying a ticket or paying annual dues.

11. Sirrus

Original Member

I will be there.

Won't be attending the conference, but since Injoy Games is a San Francisco company, we will be taking/doing meetings.

12. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

I'll be there! Can't wait :)

13. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

M-F I'm there :)

14. Musenik

Original Member

Corvus, TimS,

Let's hook up on Sunday night, before orientation. We should meet in the CA lounge.

When I'm not doing CA duties, I'll be checking the IGF booths to meet other indies. We should plan an indie dinner like last year(s).

Anyone want to organize the dinner?

I'm trying to ship my game before the GDC, but end of Feb is more likely.

15. ChrisP

Indie Author

I'll be there, hanging around the IGF Student Showcase booths (in particular, mine!) for some of the time. I'll have to leave early (Friday afternoon) to make my flight without missing the first day of university back home though.

I'm also gunning for a release before GDC; in my case for an update rather than another game. It is a rather large update however. I'm at that infuriating "close, yet... so... far..." stage. :rolleyes:

16. Coyote

Indie Author

I used to go every year, from '95 to '99 - but my company sent me. '95 was definitely the best of them all... kinda the last gasp of the old "CGDC" and the morphing into what it became.

These days - as an indie I'd probably be more interested in other conferences, but I would like to hit some of the summits they have the day before.

17. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

I considered... but decided to skip it this year as well.

"Maybe next year" as I keep saying.

18. Farbs

Farbs New Member

This year will be my first ever GDC appearance. Woo!

I'll be the Australian guy with his jaw on the floor and his brain on loan to Mr Hangover.

19. mooktown

Original Member

it's a "maybe next year" from me too unfortunately :)

20. Corvus

Corvus New Member

Musenik: I'm volunteering to grab a shift Sunday and even if I don't get one I'll probably be handing around, acting shiftless. So yeah, let's meet up. It'll give us someone to make snide comments to about... I don't know... our foreign policy in the Middle East or something.

I'm not sporting the oversized moustache this year, so I'll just be another guy with a beard, shaved head and a bowler. If I'm not working, I'll probably be live blogging via my EEE PC. If I'm not working or blogging, I'll probably be wearing a plaid sports jacket and looking for something to drink.

I'm already pretty booked in the evenings, wining and dining people who might have work for me (or being wined and dined by them, which is even better). I'm already arranging a more casual dinner Monday night and there are several CA's invited, but I don't know if I want it to turn into a mad house. Mostly because I don't know that I'm up or orchestrating a mad house.