Indiegamer Readers: Soothe Your Eyes

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by soniCron, Dec 20, 2005.

1. soniCron

Indie Author

Anyone who spends a lot of time on these forums might appreciate this.

Inspired by this thread, I decided to adjust the way these forums look. Since I spend so much time on here, the bright background, cold colors, and tight spacing really strain my eyes after a while. This won't win any beauty awards, but it's designed to be as soothing to the eye as possible.

If you have Firefox 1.5, drop this file into your "C:\Documents and Settings\[name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[gibberish].default\chrome" folder.

I don't know where this should go on other platforms, so Google for "userContent.css" If this file already exists, just append the data to what you've already got.

Several areas haven't been modified, like the post editor, but this should modify most of the rest of the site's look. I also couldn't touch the blue headers, but I don't figure anyone spends a whole lot of time looking at them anyway. ;)

Enjoy, and let me know what you think, or post any fixes you make to the file!

2. soniCron

Indie Author

I have far too much time on my hands today. :) (Taking a day off.) Here are two more themes for Indiegamer.com, designed to be easy on the eye:
    If you create your own themes, I think we'd all appreciate it if you posted them on here! Looking forward to seeing your creations!

INSTRUCTIONS: Save the files to the folder specified in the above post and rename it to "userContent.css"

#2 soniCron, Dec 20, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  3. Leper

Original Member

The file doesnt already exist on my computer so I am unable to find out where to put it! Your themes look great BTW, any chance you can post larger shots? ;)

4. jankoM

Indie Author

I went for the sandy one. it works, thanks.

5. soniCron

Indie Author

Does "C:\Documents and Settings\[name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[gibberish].default\chrome" exist? If so, just drop it in there. The file doesn't exist by default, though you should already have "userContent-example.css" and "userChrome-example.css" in that folder. Let me know if that helps.

Thanks! :) I suppose I could make the shots larger -- I'll do that later.

I'm glad you enjoy it, and I'm glad it's working for you! You can send me the difference in eye doctor bills! ;)

6. jankoM

Indie Author

Well I am a shallow man. I took it only for the looks.

7. soniCron

Indie Author

8. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

9. Bad Sector

Original Member

For linux/unix users here, the directory is ~/.mozilla/firefox/[gibberish].default/chrome

10. mot

mot
    Indie Author

It works in Opera as well. Right click on page -> Edit site preferences -> Display -> My style sheet.

11. Jesse Aldridge

Original Member

Ahhh, that's better. Thanks.

Using the original btw.

12. Spore Man

Indie Author

I like the last two. The rest, on black backgrounds have the opposite effect to "soothing the eyes" for me. Whenever I read articles or forums that have light text on black or near-black backgrounds, I get "burn-in" of the retinas. I look away from the screen and I see horizontal stripes, as if I've been staring at a bright sky through venetian blinds.

;-)

13. Artinum

Original Member

I am aware that some large forums have a range of colour schemes to choose from. It would be nice if this could be introduced to indiegamer, with the default and all SoniCron's delightful styles in the list.

With so many programmers, artists and web experts as patrons* of this forum, it surely can't be that difficult?

(* I originally typed "patronising this forum", but that has a rather different connotation... though true in some cases, I'm sure!)