IndieCity

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by PiD, Nov 30, 2010.

1. PiD

PiD New Member

Afternoon folks, sorry for the advertising post but I think this is a really exciting project and would love to hear your thoughts/feedback on what we're doing.

For a while now we've felt that the indie game scene is missing a definitive home. A place where devs can talk about their games and the gamers can easily find and buy the indie games they want to play. So we're making one!

We’ve begun slowly telling the outside world about our venture, if you’re interested you can register for updates on the homepage www.IndieCity.com . You can also follow the blog at www.IndieCity.com/blog .

We want IndieCity to be an open platform for ALL indie developers to share and sell their games without the big guys coming in and throwing their weight around. Over the next few months we’ll be discussing more and more of the intended features and getting the community to help us decide on which bits are the most important, how they should be created etc.

If you've got any questions, i'll pop back in here regularly to try and answer them or you can email me on my Indiegamer Username at IndieCity dot com.

2. Yshaana

Yshaana Guest

Hi PiD,

Sounds interesting, but how is this different from Desura ?

Thanks,

Alex

3. speeder

speeder New Member

And from IndieDB, Game Jolt, TIG, etc... ?

4. PiD

PiD New Member

Hi Alex/Speeder, thanks for the replies and sorry it's taken me so long to reply. No internet at home :(

Annoyingly, I can't talk about what makes us special from the other sites yet..

What I can say is, we think we have some great ideas, but we want community input to help make sure we build exactly what you guys want. Sign up for the email updates on the site if you're interested and want to help out, we'll be contacting people shortly!

5. Bad Sector

Original Member

You can change the background :p

Seriously, after each sentence in your original post i had a voice in my head shouting "TIGSource!" :). I'm not a TIGSource fanboy (although i go there very often) but what you describe is already there and the site is very popular.

6. princec

Indie Author

Maybe when you can talk about the something special we can come and see it?

Cas :)

7. richtaur

Indie Author

^ that :)

As indie developers, you've got all of our attention by default but you need to show us something unique to get us interested, I think.

Cheers!

8. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

+1.

Make something that let's us get our games to more gamers and, yep, you've got me at hello.

9. PiD

PiD New Member

Well we're having our first community meeting on IRC tonight, I think it's going to be from 7pm-8pm GMT but i'll confirm that shortly. We're going to be answering a lot of these questions and we want to hear views from everybody. Feel free to come join us, if you can't then don't worry we'll be posting a summary of the meeting on the blog soon afterwards.

Bad Sector, I understand where you're coming from on that. I had the same reaction from the folk at TIGSource! We're really not aiming to be a TIGSource though, TIGSource isn't a platform for selling your games whereas IndieCity will be.

10. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Just seen the announcement on Develop so I guess you can talk about it now?
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/39298/New-indie-PC-platform-ends-discoverability-woes

This concerns me actually "The only requirement we have is that the games submitted have to be from indie studios. As long as it is, and doesn’t crash or have viruses, then we’ll accept it on board."
    As much as Apple's random walled garden approach is a major pita at the other end of the spectrum totally open app stores/portals generate more chaff than wheat which just puts the users off from using it.
    What are your plans for dealing that?

Also do you plan to have an affiliate marketing system for those of us that cross promote through websites?

11. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

All that matter si traffic. Traffic, traffic,traffic.
    I know a games portal that is like a money vending machine for me. I know another one which has earned me less than a decent meal a year. On the surface, both look remarkably similar, but one has a LOT of traffic and one does not. It really does all boil down to getting massive numbers of eyeballs.

12. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Well it's a new portal so can't expect much traffic atm but it is backed by Blitz games so hopefully they'll throw their weight behind it.

However, you're dead on. It's eyeballs to our games we need most, which is partly why I asked about an affiliate system, it's the quickest way to get people to start promoting your system for free (essentially).