Indie Portal Finished!! Submit Your Game!!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Danimal, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Danimal

Indie Author

So it finally clicked how I can use ajax for the front page. Known about ajax but not exactly how to use it. I think it will make changing categories and filters take no time at all. Wow I'm a nerd, getting exciting about ajax.

2. Fost

Indie Author

I've been doing some tests myself -it can actually be good fun getting it working, although I'm not 100% sure about the practical application of it on our own site and how you handle browsers/setups that might break the technologies involved.

Mind you, right now, as a pure learning excercise, I'm trying to work out a good way to go the XHTML/CSS route and remove tables from the design, but I can't think of a particularly nice way to do box borders that have corners. IE, as usual, seems to break everyting, although I got it working with explicit box heights: http://www.moonpod.com/testzone/bubbleBox.php

It's utterly filthy too. Can't wait until CSS3 is out and becomes widespread as that is part of the spec.

sorry, meandering off topic...

3. Danimal

Indie Author

IE is wack. http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html I'm not that into css so i can't really help. I use tables to format most things, I'm using them to do the rounded corners. Pretty cool though, just divs, wish it worked, I'd use it for some things.

4. electronicStar

Original Member

Another suggestion:

Another suggestion:

You could add a new special category : Newest.
    I know you can already sort the games by newest, but this would be different.
    It would list you only the new games added since the last connexion of this user.
    That would permit to see the new games added fast and efficiently.

5. Danimal

Indie Author

That's already in. You should see a big red NEW next to the games that are new since you last visited. You can't sort by it like you said but you should be able to see which ones are new.

6. Sillysoft

Indie Author

Don't fall into the typical developer trap of constantly adding more and more stuff that you think would be cool. Any new features are really not that valuable, honestly. What you have there is definitely "good enough". What would be much more valuable would be a larger and larger number of people (end users) getting to the site.

7. Savant

Original Member

I agree. Even now, that front page is getting a little too noisy for my tastes. I'd take what you have now and either break it up a little or scale it back. It's starting to look like "just another portal" with hundreds of links and images cluttering up the front page.

8. Danimal

Indie Author

I just redid the entire front page list of games with ajax. Pretty cool stuff but it's a little slow. Could someone check it out and tell me what you think.

http:// deleted

Not sure if I want to keep it or not. It's cool in that it doesn't reload the page everytime you change category or change a filter. Would really cut down on server load.

#108 Danimal, May 16, 2006
    Last edited: May 16, 2006
  9. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I checked it out and on the front page I see "Loading games..." for about 10-20 seconds before I see the game list. And I'm on a broadband connection... on your original site the game list loads instantaneously.

I agree with others, don't go crazy with the technology yet. The change you just made has caused the front page to be unusable for me since it takes 10-20 secs to load the game list even when I just refresh the page.

I think your last iteration was just fine and you should simply just focus on promoting the site and getting more users.

10. Chris Evans

I should also add that with this new system since you don't reload the page when you change categories, the featured games stay the same as well as the Ads. Since you're reducing the pageviews, you're also reducing the number of times devs can have their ads displayed (less ad revenue for you as well). Are you sure this is a good trade-off?

11. jankoM

Indie Author

same here as Chris said... dont start beeing a geek now. :) Can you name more than 3 practical pluses that ajax brings to front page (I can name 3 minuses easily - well Chris told you 3 and I can tell few more) If not then you should ask yourself "why?".

12. Sharpfish

Original Member

Very slow loading here now also (broadband).

13. cliffski

thats massively slow, plus it actually hangs firefox for about 4 seconds. don't do it.

14. Addictive 247

Indie Author

Slow here on a fast connection :(
    I agree with what's been said before - don't keep adding to it. It's a great site at the moment, concentrate on getting more and more people to it rather than tons more features.

15. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I agree with the others... I wouldn't keep going there if it were going to take that long every time.

16. kevryan

Indie Author

Hung on firefox for quite a while on my (older/win98) machine. At first I thought that it had crashed on me.

17. Danimal

Indie Author

Alright, ditching the ajax. Time to get lots and lots of visitors... somehow.

18. Savant

Original Member

I think there are larger issues at hand before you go looking for droves of visitors. For one, at first glance, there is nothing about this site to differentiate it from the 100's of other download sites. What's your message? I can't tell from looking at the front page and I doubt random internet visitors will either.

Or, more importantly from the point of view of a new visitor, "Why should I care?"

If you can get a strong message/story developed for people to get behind (this should have been done already - and has been to an extent with the "indie games from the people who made them" angle) then the message should spread itself.

1 Good Game recently saw a huge influx of traffic from www.stumbleupon.com users because someone liked what the site was doing and recommended it. It snowballed from there.

19. Spaiz

Original Member

Danimal, what CMS did you use to build that portal? Liked technology...

20. Danimal

Indie Author

the cms is called... danimalCMS... hehehe. It's all written by me.

Yea I see what you mean, something i definatly need to work on. Also working on the layout and cleaning it up and spacing things out might help, i know a few people have mentioned that. I guess next I'm going to work on graphics and layout.