Indie Portal Finished!! Submit Your Game!!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Danimal, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Artinum

Original Member

A minor hiccup (not worthy of calling an error):

I took a look at a game (Future Snooker by Cornutopia) and noted that in the column to the left there's a "customers who liked this game also liked" section. This is an excellent idea and well done.

But... there are two games in Future Snooker's list (as I type this). One is Flatspace II, also by Cornutopia. The other is - Future Snooker.

Are all the games referencing themselves in this way?

2. Fost

Indie Author

Just a quick note - I've not forgotten about my promise to run an ad :)
    I'll sort something out next week when we arrange our next set of ads. I'll let you know when it's up...

3. Sillysoft

Indie Author

The self-serve ad system is very nicely done. I wish more sites had something like that.

4. gosub

Original Member

I also have the same concern as some of the other people on this forum. However, I think you'll do quite well with ad revenue from Google. My father's web site makes more than I pay in rent with 4000 unique visitors a day. FYI, he doubled his ad revenue when he added the Google advertisement banner at the top of his pages:

http://www.doctorspiller.com

I'll link to you as soon as I have a game, which will hopefully be within the next few months.

-Jeremy

5. Danimal

Indie Author

It looks at who voted for this game and what other games they voted for and since the author always votes for his game. Yea I might try to not show the game you're looking at, not sure if it's worth the extra crunching.

Awesome!! can't wait.
    That's encouraging, barely made anything from google so far though.

6. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Well a good site will grow traffic wise, but unless you get some press coverage or advertise it will take time before your traffic is good enough to generate real ad revenue. I think once you're pretty sure all the bugs are worked out.. issue a press release through the game press release people as well as a more generic service like dp-directory. If you're lucky you'll get a few magazine articles.

7. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

Not all authors would vote for their own game even if it was allowed (I did not). Couldn't you disable voting for yourself anyway?

Mark

8. Vectrex

Original Member

On the rating system..
    I really think rating should take into account
    - days since game uploaded
    - number of downloads
    - positive ratings

This would
    a) stop games being on top just because they've been there forever. Which stops the syndrom of everyone downloading the top games just because they have the top rating, hence the top games get more votes mainly because they are at the top, which keeps them at the top! argh!:D
    b) stop awesome new games from looking crap because they've only got a few positives. eg 2 days/10 downloads/8 positives = high rating whereas 200 days/10,000 downloads/100 positives = lower rating than the cool new game.

a simple formula could be downloads/positives = lowest number wins. A more complex one could include days online, but my maths is crappy ;)

what do you think?

9. svero

vectrex makes some good points there... Perhaps a rating/downloads system would be better in some ways.

10. Danimal

Indie Author

I might try it out this weekend.

I don't think days old should be in there. It has nothing to do with how good the game is. Days old is taken into account with the sort order.

11. Sillysoft

Indie Author

I track where my sales originate from, and I have seen a couple that came from gametrove. Still small, but it's something. It's more then I have seen from most download sites out there. So good work so far.

12. Danimal

Indie Author

Hey that's really good to hear! Guess those ads paid off. It's slowly growing.

13. Vectrex

Original Member

ah I see you've got a 'weighted' catagory now :p Seems to work nicely at first glance. The top list doesn't look so samey now ;)

ps The little win/mac/linux icons I kind of expected to be able to click on them to download.

nice work!

14. electronicStar

Original Member

Hey Danimal, I have a new idea for the future of Gametrove:
    Some sort of developer diaries or exclusive previews.
    The devellopers using your database could once in a while drop a picture of an upcoming game or feature.
    You could use a little banner for this at the top of the page (the database should remain as the main page space)
    That would be good for you (would establish Gametrove as a real news source) and for the develloper (free publicity).
    Of course you'd have to select only the serious or well established devellopers or those with a close to finish product (to avoid vaporware).

15. Danimal

Indie Author

Yea I've been trying to come up with a good way to do news. Thought about having a page for each developer that they can blog on that somehow shows up on the front page, I don't know. Until then there is always the Game News and Feedback forum. If people start using it I'll somehow put links to the posts on the front page like gametunnel.com does with their headlines. I've got a huge list of things I'd like to add to gametrove, slowly going through them.

16. svero

Just be careful to not overcomplicate it. One of the things I like about gametrove is the simple interface with the games right up front. I'm not sure that as a user I'd want all kinds of fancy news items in the way etc...

17. BarrySlisk

Original Member

I don't like the binary on/off vote system. Games are seldom GOOD or BAD, they are ussually somewhere in between.

18. jeb_

Indie Author

Nah, I disagree. I was very pleased to see this system because usually rating systems (such as the one at mpogd.com) gets unbalanced. Most people seem to give the games a 10/10 or 1/10 instead of "wasting" their vote on a gray-scale number. I think Gametrove's system still will give a fair total rating since if a game is only "half good" it will not receive as many positive votes as those that are really good.

19. Danimal

Indie Author

Yea I agree, I'm thinking about putting a little box about the category box. See how it looks.

20. Danimal

Indie Author

Added news to the front page. If anyone has some they want to post feel free. If you make a post in this forum http://www.gametrove.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3 it is shown on the front page. Spam and offtopic threads will be deleted of course.