Indie Portal Finished!! Submit Your Game!!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Danimal, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Danimal

Indie Author

It's done! Time to go out get durnk and celebrate!! Many thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.

http://www.gamehorde.net - Indie/Casual Games Portal

GameHorde is a free indie/casual games portal. Games are submitted by the developers who made them instead of by a publisher or an affiliate. Users decide which games are the best instead of an editor. GameHorde puts the users in touch with the developers and gives them control over which games are shown on the site.

2. whisperstorm

Original Member

Just posted it to digg - let the traffic flow...

3. madhat

Original Member

At last!! Congrats!!;)

4. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Looks like a nice site design. Trick will be how much traffic and support you get. I guess we'll see how it goes. This is really a little different than the indie portal discussions of the past though, which were more focused on creating a sales/shop competitor to privately owned portals, and not so much an indie supported download site. Looks nice though. Would be good to see it take off and have another place to get some exposure for our titles. I like the simplicity of the interface.

5. jankoM

Indie Author

I like the straight-forwardness of the layout! Will include my game as soon as I have time. Nice that you don't neglect the KIDS category as most of the others.

I gues the hardest task for you has just started now - how to bring a significan't number of interested people to your site that will make it all spining.

6. Andy

Original Member

I'm with Steve on this - so far this is just another download archive.
    And to start with something please change at least title of the message here:

Indie Portal is STARTED

There is loooooooooooong way after technological issues to grow this into the real thing.

Anyway:
    Great job! and Good luck!

7. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

i submitted 2 games a while ago, but dont see them. did they get lost?

8. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Must have. I submitted 1 and it appeared immediately.

9. Tertsi

Indie Author

You should make an order button at least in the more info page. Even most other download archives have it.

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

shouldn't it be spelled "hoard", or have you already had this discussion?

"A hoard is a store or accumulation of things: An important hoard of Roman coins was found in a field in Suffolk. A horde is a large group of people: There were hordes of bargain hunters at the sales."

11. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

Mine was erased too. :( I'll get around to replacing it sometime soon.

12. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

My suggestion would be to register gamehoard.com as well, because you don't want people getting confused with the spelling. And my other suggestion would be to use the "hoard" spelling on the site itself, because, well... yeah. I'm assuming it is supposed to be a "hoard" and not a "horde".

Apart from that, best of luck! It is a lot like the kind of indie portal ideas that everyone keeps talking about, except with one fundamental difference - it exists. Yes, it will remain to be seen if you can generate good traffic, but if it has a large database of good games and allows people to find what they want easily, then ay least that's a good reason for people to want to go there.

In the end, anything like this can't be a bad thing.

13. MGL

MGL
    Original Member

Unfortunately, all the variations are allready taken by resellers. For instance, they are asking 575$ for GameHoard.com

14. Savant

Original Member

"Game Whore?"

"No, hoarD."

"Oh! OK..."

15. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I'm personally against adding buy buttons at least for now. If you add buy buttons, it truly will look like all the other download/affiliate sites out there. What's somewhat unique about this site is that he's not trying to sell games on commision. It's basically a large pool of games submitted by devs and rated by users. If a user likes a game he can purchase it at the dev's website. It's easier to build traffic when there's less obstrusive Ads/Promo images.

Another thing, submitting to sites like Digg.com is okay, but I'd probably wait until you have a solid database of games with most of the categories filled out before you really start promoting it to end-users. The site isn't going to be too appealing if there's only dozen games. So for the first phase I suggest doing a massive effort to get devs to submit their games (or add them yourself), then after that you start promoting and trying to generate traffic.

16. Andy

Original Member

Andy! They accept only good games. :D Just kidding OK? ;)

17. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

It is because they erased all submisions when they decided that technicall work is over.

Roman

18. Sakura Games

Original Member

I clicked on lost password (not sure if I still was registered) and saw this msg:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/.latrine/danimal/gamehorde.net/top.php:151) in /home/.latrine/danimal/gamehorde.net/lost_pass.php on line 49

19. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

"Requiremnts" needs attention on the info page (I also noticed that the bull thing sometimes fails). Apart from that the site seems great to me. Congratulations and thanks Dan! If you can get those interview answers back to me I'll put it on Bytten to tell a little more of the world :D

Mark

20. adamw

Original Member

I for one love this site. It's digg for the Indies!