Indie Mobile Game Discovery 2019

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by igamedev, Dec 24, 2018.

1. igamedev

igamedev New Member

I have been researching quite a lot of games in the Google Play store the past few months. It's incredibly fascinating but ultimately sad to see so many high quality games get basically no installs. Games that I would NEVER be able to produce on such a high quality scale end up with less than 1000 installs over a period of 6 months or longer. Just browse the releases here in this forum and then see how many installs they have weeks, months later.

Now, I am familiar with the fact that earlier this year in 2018, Google changed their app discovery algorithm. Many believe this was a way to eliminate smaller companies with little to no marketing budget from competing (key word wise, meta, etc) with larger companies investing heavily in the use of google products. Google officially said their new algorithm simply favors higher quality apps with longer retention. But imop it's obvious google is simply favoring apps that are generating substantial revenue for them. Which...to be honest.... is not a bad move, because this means the end user experience is positive and why would you give a crappy app the same app discovery possibilities?

So with that out of the way, this thread is a discussion on how the smaller indie developer/team can get app discovery in 2019 moving forward. If you have a marketing budget, the answer is pretty easy, simply put some ads on the various social media networks and sit back and watch the installs happen. If your return is at least equal to your investment, keep it going. The math should scale the same for 1k installs vs 100k installs.

But for those with little to no budget, what "real" sources are available to promote your app? Going this route is a slow growth and takes time. But us old schoolers are used to it. lol.. I will be doing more research and posting some findings here, but if anyone else can contribute, we thank you ahead of time. ;)

2. Crichton333

Crichton333 New Member

Epic Games Store for Android ? Opening soon in 2019.

3. igamedev

igamedev New Member