Indie life & losing weight

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by SteveZ, Feb 11, 2007.

1. SteveZ

Indie Author

A month and a half ago I made resolution to lose 15 lbs of body fat within a year. I followed a rigorous schedule but was only to lose about 0.25 lbs on average per week, decreasing every week. Pretty crappy results.

I realized this is a lifestyle choice, as working as an indie game designer requires sitting in front of the computer more than 14 hours a day, and it's not something I can change much as I really need to get work done.

My excercise routine: 5 days/week
    morning: 45 minutes cardio, on machines
    evening: 30-45 minutes weights, 30 minutes cardio
    once a week: yoga

Weekday Diet:
    morning: milk, cereal (lucky charms), OJ/Grapefruit juice, 1 boiled egg
    lunch: wheat bread with peanut butter n jelly + cheese + 2 slices of meat +lettuce, orange
    dinner: 1 cup of white rice, 1 slab of chicken meat (white and dark, alternate), any three types of veges (bokchoy, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, califlower), cup of milk

Suggestions welcome.

-Steve Z.

2. Nikster

Original Member

Well not suited for most, and as I was on a crappy diet to begin with, pizza, lots of bread, chocolate etc :) I just cut out all my high carb stuff and mainly sugar stuff, so far lost 16lbs in 4 weeks and feel better for it. (this wasn't one of those strict carb diets ala atkins) but I rarely have bread, and have no potatoes and any sweet stuff is a rarity, I also subsituted all soda for flavoured water and I don't drink any lager/beer anymore, just vodka. The only problem I have now is I need to buy new clothes as it looks like I'm sky diver falling :D But I was a whale anyway, probably the reason I've lost so much, that coupled with eating crap for years.

3. SculptureOfSoul

SculptureOfSoul New Member

Unless you are eating like 6 bowls of cereal and 5 sandwiches for lunch and "slab" of chicken = chicken breast the size of big bird's you should be losing more weight than that.

What kind of intensity are you reaching in your cardio workouts? I find that, for me to see results, I have to try and get up to a 1000 cal/hr pace. On a stationary bike, which is my usual form of cardio, that's about 18 mph average with a fair bit of resistance.

Anyhow, do you have an approximate breakdown of calories burned and calories consumed per day. That should give you a pretty good idea of how much you should be losing.

Have you gone to the doctor and confirmed that your thyroid is alright? I'd almost suspect it was something like that if you haven't had better results in a whole year. Of course, you didn't mention "Weekend Diet." If you are like me, that could be the problem right there. ;) :D

Actually, I tend to eat quite a bit more whenever I start working out hard, so while I am getting in better shape I'm not really losing much if any weight. Kinda sucks b/c I've still got a couple inches on my waist. You sure it's not just something like that?

4. Nikster

Original Member

That's a good point, muscle being heavier than fat, sure you shouldn't be going on the waist size rather than lb'age ?

5. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

I find I can lose weight fairly easily just by eating a bit less. It's usually the in-between-meal snacks that do me in. However, I do have fairly healthy meals.

I would suggest that you don't eat Lucky Charms (so much sugar!), and go for Cheerios or Shreddies instead.

Also, peanut butter + jelly sandwiches have so much fat and sugar in them... I think a sandwich with meat + cheese + lettuce would be preferable.

Last, I find that if I don't feel "full" after a meal, if I just wait about 1 hour that feeling goes away. (It just takes a while for your body to get the nutrients into your blood stream, I figure.) So if you have smaller meals and tell yourself that you can have a snack in 1 hour if you still feel hungry, most often you'll find that you can do without that snack.

However, I'm definitely not overweight (just a few pounds heavier than I should be), so it may be easier for me to do this than for other people.

Good luck, Steve.

6. KNau

Original Member

As someone who's been down that road (and is about to go down it again) I should point out that weight is really a terrible marker to go by because there are too many other factors at play; you can fluctuate by more than a pound a day on water retention alone. Muscle weighs more than fat so the fact that you're doing weight lifting could be canceling out the "weight" of fat loss.

Buy yourself a body-fat scale or a simple measuring tape and let those be your yardsticks for success. A good mirror works just as well, too.

Other notes:

Way too much cardio in my opinion, you don't need 75 minutes a day - the 45 would do just fine. Also rest is vitally important - every increase in physical activity should be countered with an increase in rest and recovery. Sitting at the computer doesn't count as rest - soaking in a tub, lying in bed listening to relaxing music or podcasts does. It's debatable whether vegging in front of the TV counts. The more you commit to a rest period the better your muscle gains will be as overworking is one of the most common problems.

You're diet is pretty low quality, too - but others have covered that.

On a more Pavlina-esque note, "losing 15 pounds" is sort of a nothing goal. Why do you want to lose the weight? What do you want to look like? Try to come up with something a little more compelling than losing weight because you "should".

Lastly, 14 hours in front of the computer is an absolute no-no. I don't care what your business goal is that's irresponsible and, frankly, a waste of your life on this earth. I hereby cap you at 6 hours in front of the computer, divided into 2 sessions with a break in between. You can get just as much work done (if not more) by planning that time effectively. Spend the remaining free time out in the community enjoying yourself.

7. spellcaster

Original Member

I started going to the gym 2 times a week 3 months ago. Didn't change my eating habits that much, just tried to eat less chocolate and drink more water - I lost around 6kg while getting stronger. I also lost 25cm around my waist.

And I've done mainly weight training - just some indoor cycling for warm up.

Losing weight is pretty easy - you just need to burn more calories than you eat. if you decrease your calories / day, you'll slow down your metabolism. So it's better to increase the number of calories you burn per day and change the food quality a bit (not too much - at least I try to still have fun eating).

8. Agent 4125

Indie Author

Right now I'm a part-time Vegan. :) When I'm at home, which is most of the time, I have nothing but plant-based foods. Two or three times a month I'll eat out and have whatever I feel like.

9. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

I have no idea what I weigh but it's never been lots. I *did* lose a lot of weight when I left my last job because I stopped eating 4 donuts every day.
    The only exercise I get is archery once or maybe twice a week. I sometimes walk about 8 feet from the PC to the fridge.
    I also love biscuits and cakes.
    So why am I not the size of an airship?*
    I watched some science prog years ago where they took loads of people who always gained weight, and loads of 'natually' slim people, and forced them to eat the same food and prevented them for exercising, to see what could be going on.
    Their conclusion was that the slimmer people fidget.
    I fidget all the time, I can't sit still at all. I probably turn over 18 times before falling asleep. No idea why. My scientific better half reckons the theory is probably pretty sound.
    Unfortunately, this doesn't help you, as I don't think it's possible to 'learn' to fidget all the time :D.
    I just thought it was interesting :D
    Why oh why oh why can you not buy a foot-pedal attachment for your PC that generates power?

*blimp to americans :D

10. LilGames

LilGames New Member

At least you're losing. IN 1 year, you'll have lost 13 lbs, which is pretty close to your target. So what are you complaining for?

When you do cardio, do you push yourself hard? For example, 45 minutes on a cycle maintaing 75 rpm does next to nothing, whereas pushing yourself a little extra to maintain 85rpm or higher the entire time will burn off alot more.

+ You need to build in some strength training in your routine. More muscle builds more calories.

11. electronicStar

Original Member

Well 0.25*52=13 so where's the problem?:D
    Losing weight is very difficult, making a diet alone is not enough, you should find a regular phisyc activity. Something like gardening or making home improvements is a very good way of losing fat.

But even if the loss is small, don't be discouraged, keep at it!
    It's better to lose 0.25 a week than to gain 2 a week!

12. SculptureOfSoul

And the best thing you can add to your routine to not only burn more calories but increase your quality of life...more sex! :D

Or...at least that's what I've heard. :p

13. electronicStar

Original Member

One more thing :
    When I was younger, and single, and with more free time, I found that the best way to lose weight was to eat only when I was hungry (difficult when you're not single) and stay in bed as much as I felt like it in the mornings, without taking breakfast (but I didn't feel hungry). It's also a good way to regenerate the body.

14. SteveZ

Indie Author

Right on! Great suggestions indeed.

For the intensity, I do step up / elliptical and I burn on average 350-450 calories per 35minutes. In a day I'd probably can burn 600-800 calories on the machine. The machines are a bit tricky because the elliptical machine "burns" calorie faster but the step up machine gives me a much killer workout.

I figured with this routine, I'd expected to lose weight much quicker - that's why I'm not satisfied with 0.25lb/week even though it can add up to 13lbs in a year. For those who reads Steve's "Overwhelming Force", my actual goal is to lose around 20lbs, even if I don't hit it, trying hard and getting it to -15lbs works for me.

Another factor I realized is my diet has been pretty healthy with not much fat. I'm also in pretty decent shape (5ft 8.5", 174cm), but my BMI is 25, which is a point above the normal zone - these two points may be why it's hard to lose weight.

But I agree with some statements about snack. I'll lose the peanut and jam and focus on building more muscle to enhance the metabolism. Or like cliffski says, install a pedal and remove the plug :)

15. SculptureOfSoul

I think the most important thing is to just keep at it. Don't get discouraged if the weight isn't coming off as fast as you'd like. It still is coming off, and you're getting in better shape with each workout.

16. spellcaster

Original Member

Actually, I'd suggest that you don't check your weight at all. You don't want to loose weight to loose weight - I guess you want to become fitter and more healthy. So, just try to do that. Exercise. Become fitter. Eat less junk. Eat more fruits.
    You will loose weight doing this. But instead of getting a bad mood if your weight doesn't drop as fast as you'd expect, you'll be constantly motivated because you can see how you are getting fitter (as in: being able to lift more weight, or do more sit-ups / push-ups or whatever exercise you're doing).

17. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I'm not overweight but I do try to stay on the thin side of the healthy weight range because I look better like that, and probably living in Japan makes me feel fat anyway. But it is difficult sometimes, and I have yet to fully recover from Christmas...

One thing I heard was that one of the things that burns the most calories was digesting food (no, really) so starving yourself isn't as helpful as you might think. I do get hungry and I like to eat a lot, so I try to choose low-calorie food whenever possible so I can eat a lot of it. So for lunch I usually have a really big salad. I also cycle for about an hour a day but exercise doesn't really do much to make you thin (although it is still good for you... but all you have to do is think about how long you'd have to spend on a treadmill to burn off a single Snickers bar to see that diet will have by far the biggest effect).

18. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

2lbs a week is about the right level of safe weight loss.

I dont really understand how people have a hard time dieting (or let me rephrase that, knowing HOW to diet, I'm overweight because I dont exercise or diet properly).

Its pretty simple mathematics.

calories in > calories out = weight gain
    calories out > calories in = weight loss

Simply eat less calories. You'll need to be on around 2000 cals for a man for slow weight loss. I went to 1500 a day for a while, lost a good 4-5 stone pretty easily.

I'd recommend having lots of stir fry. Particularly bamboo shoots, as they are REALLY low cal. I reckon you could eat your own bodyweight of those per day and still be losing :)

19. SculptureOfSoul

Heh, that IS always a depressing thought. Weight training helps a lot in that regard though - burning an extra 80-100 calories a day or more thanks to increased muscle mass adds up over time.

The most difficult thing for me is to switch to a full on healthy diet. I do avoid pizza, doughnuts, and most of the obvious culprits - but I can't imagine giving up ice cream, flavored yogurts, the occasional bag of doritos, etc. So, for the time being, instead of tormenting myself into a routine that I'll hate just to lose a couple inches more quickly, I'm sticking to my current diet but just upping my workouts a bit. There's no point getting into a temporary regimen that you plan to drop as soon as you hit your goal. You've got to find something where you still have positive progress (however slow) that you know you will actually stick to.

20. Tom Cain

Indie Author

mmm...Lucky Charms.

I play golf, which burns ~1200 calories a round. Don't eat while you play and you'll be famished when you're done - don't go home and stuff food in. This won't help if you're one of those that believe golf requires beer, though.