Indie games - FPS:es

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Anlino, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Anlino

Original Member

Not sure if this has been discussed earlier, but i believe that it is a major and important debate.

No one can disapprove that FPS:es is a major genre in gaming. Games like Half-Life, Doom, Counter Strike and many others is played all around the earth. As mostly a project for fun, i started developing an FPS as a learning project. Lately, it has improved greatly, and i was recently thinking if i could sell it.

That ended in a major attack from my lower left side of my brain, telling the others that it can't be done. The lower left side is the smartest, by the way.

What do you think? Can a FPS, developed by an indie, actually make something from it?

Have any FPS:es from indies been released earlier(recently)? If yes, how did it go?

Why are there so few FPS:es developed by Indies?

2. Fry Crayola

Original Member

The main reason is the incredibly large production that needs to go into such a game. Textures, lighting... it can add up in both time and cost, and is beyond the reach of most indies. While we can knock up strategy, puzzle, 2D and niche games to challenge anyone, FPS titles require a much greater investment.

However, I reckon there's definitely a possibility of a more stylised game working out, something that doesn't rely heavily on a realistic looking gameworld.

3. Anlino

Original Member

Iäve had thoughts of going beyond the standard limits for FPS:es as well. That doesn't meen doing great physics, but instead doing a different gameplay.

4. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I feel dumb asking, but what's a FPS:es?

5. Robert Cummings

Original Member

It's not going to happen unless you want to make a shit game that can't compete with any FPS in the local bargain bin for $5

6. Greg Squire

Original Member

FPS = First Person Shooter (games like Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Halo, etc.) (I think FPS:es was an attempt to pluralize FPS).

7. Savant

Original Member

I disagree and think that Fry has hit it on the head. You can do it if you stylize the graphics. Make a cell shaded FPS. Make a black and white FPS. Set the game in a world that takes a lot of the art burden away. I think that could work with the right team.

And don't try to compete with HL2, CounterStrike, Unreal, etc. Target a different market.

In other words, be smart.

8. ERoberts

Original Member

Try it! I'm sure it will make you tons of money.

9. GameStudioD

Original Member

I guess you should send these guys a memo because they obviously didn't get it. Further, you need to tell all the gamers who purchased Dead Hunt to demand their money back. Now, get to work!

10. Savant

Original Member

It's easy to be negative but if you think about it I think you'll come to realize that it IS possible. But, as I said, it needs to be the right team.

11. Nexic

Indie Author

Well I don't mean to be negative, but does anyone here know how much Deadhunt actually sold? Or does anyone know how much it cost them to make? I have a feeling they didn't make megabucks.

12. vjvj

Indie Author

The problem is that technology != the game. Technology is really only maybe 10% of the game (and these days, it's really easy to write a 3D engine). The other 90% is CONTENT. First person shooters are extremely content-heavy. Not just art, but also AI/scripts and the killer: Level layout.

So, to answer your question, the reason there aren't many indie FPSs is because they can't afford the content required to make a competitive product. I'm not going to doubt that you have good gameplay ideas, but you need to be realistic about how long it will take to build all the content.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia for you: At GDC 2004, in John Carmack's keynote he said that the engine for Doom 3 was completed almost 2 years before they shipped. What were they doing for the remaining two years? Art and level layout! :) And that was with a full team of very experienced guys.

13. Savant

Original Member

Right, which is what Fry was saying and what I continued with ... so stylize it. No, you can't compete with id/Epic/Valve on content creation. So don't.

14. soniCron

Indie Author

Is it cheaper to stylize?

15. Savant

Original Member

I would think that it would be if you stylized properly. I'm sure we can all think of at least 10 ways to cut down on the art load if we focus on it. A simple example that we can all relate to as nerds: Tron. Don't try to tell me that making assets for a Tron FPS would be anywhere near as difficult as trying to mimick Doom3.

A little imagination would be all it takes, IMO...

16. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Thanks. I know what a FPS is, but this is the first time I've seen someone trying to pluralize something by using a colon! :(

17. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

an indie FPS could do well IMHO. But you need to innovate in the one area an FPS ignores - gameplay. Heres some random ideas:

Let me get injured. why am I able to run, jump duck shoot, aim and see and hear fine on 1% health. I need to limp, lose half my sight, lose my aim, my hearing... as I get hit. if im hit in the right hand, i need to shoot with the left hand, and my aim should suck...

Let me take dead peoples guns. Some FPS's dont allow this. its insane, And while we are at it, I'll have their ammo too please

Thief 1 did a great job of innovating gameplay in the FPS. you need to do something similar. Dont worry so much about texture quality or amazing bump mapping. you need to make the gameplay original. I'd say ignore everything else but the gameplay until you are sure your FPS is 100% original.
    Gameplay doesnt require big teams or money, all you need is good ideas.

18. bluejay

Original Member

Because playing a game with those things added in would suck, I would just hit quick load everytime I started to limp or my aim started to suck.

19. Savant

Original Member

That's the best idea I've ever heard for removing all fun from a game.

20. soniCron

Indie Author

I'd immediately agree that would be one of the least fun FPS:es (;)), but the ever popular ActionQuake mod for Quake2 blew the charts as one of the most popular mods for the game - and it's main feature was said consequences.