Indie Games Con

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by David York, Aug 27, 2004.

1. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

A must agree with all of the above. I was great fun to meat you all. I loved talking to the creators of some of the top breakout clone. I talked to the author of Blaster Ball 3D, Ballistik, Z Ball, and DX Ball. At one time I considered these to be Ricochet’s competition but now I believe most breakout fans don’t choose one over the other. They just buy them all. I enjoyed swapping tips and suggestion with the legendary Michael P. Welch. Supper DX Ball looks awesome! I hope he implements some of my suggestions for level selection and suspend game.

I hope to meet you all again soon. Not only at next years IGC, but also at GDC and/or E3. We will have to be sure to schedule an “indieâ€￾ dinner or some kind of get-together at those bigger events which are dominated by console guys.

#41 James C. Smith, Oct 12, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  2. Mark Currie

Indie Author

It was cool meeting everyone including Seth Robinson who came from Japan, not to mention meeting several of the guys that live near me. I definately need to catch our local pizza night. It fun going to the bar Saturday night with Greg from DIYG and guys over at Chronic Logic, although Greg's lack of sleep may have contributed to him forgetting his laptop at the conference :)

3. kevryan

Indie Author

This year's IGC was a lot of fun with 20+ games in various stages of development running in the showoff center. Saw quite a few games that were there last year. Katsu is now in a much brighter world. TubeTwist is a lot better and close to shipping. Thought I saw Hampsterball on a standup cabinet that Orbz had been runing on earlier. If a demo of Zap! is available online then check it out - pure gameplay - a heck of a lot of fun. Bravetree's new car racing game D-Racer felt real nice. They have the base in place to make a real sweet game.

At times I wish I could clone myself. Last year I caught the tail end of Danny's session where he was animating a sack using MAX. This year his Character Animation was at the same time as a coding type session so I had to miss it.

You also get two drinks tickets to get a couple free beers each night....

4. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

You know we're in Los Angeles and go to E3 every year but honestly it hasn't been very fruitful from the business perspective as it's geared very much for a diffrenent crowd. That would be great to set something up like that there so please let us all know. If nothing else can take you all to get some awesome dimsum in nearby China town (yum!).

5. Sillysoft

Indie Author

I doubt that I will make it to the GDC, which makes the IndieGamesCon experience even better. I am really glad that I went and got the chance to meet everyone.

I have been thinking that I will make another game in the next 1 year timeframe, so it gives me a good goal: get a new game done in time for next year's IGC.

6. David York

Original Member

I had no idea how small this event would be in terms of numbers of people, nor how large in terms of the quality, professionalism and seriousness of the people there. This event was solid quality.

I got my wish of a dinner (and beer) with IndieGamer people, which made me very happy. James Smith is right about IGC and E3 as far as the dinner, we would have to arrange it ahead of time less we not find each other.