Indie Games Con

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by David York, Aug 27, 2004.

1. David York

Original Member

With the exceptions of Mark Fassett, Cartman and Dan MacDonald I don't think I will be able to recognize anybody. Should anybody be interested in saying hello, I am this guy (blue and black shirt, schmuck):

http://www.acm.wwu.edu/~daveman/

http://www.acm.wwu.edu/~daveman/GDC2004/

My sincerest apologies to modem users.

I would hate myself forever if I never got the chance to meet lots of you in person and offer appropriate quantities of hero worship to you all! I will bring a digital camera to document the event as best I can. So, if you see me, go ahead and say hello!

2. Mark Currie

Indie Author

I noticed that tickets for IGC aren't on sale on-line anymore. I guess they sold out.

3. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Just playing it by ear, from the number of people i've seen saying that they are going, I think the venu is going to be jam-packed with indie developers. A lot of guys are there already, lucky dogs :)

4. 3dben

Original Member

Is the event worth going to? Ive never been, Eugene OR is actually my hometown so it doesnt seem as exciting to me since I don't have to travel far :rolleyes: ... How was last year? What would make it worth going?

Thanks!

-=ben
    www.clevermonkeystudios.com

5. Gmicek

Original Member

October 3rd was supposed to be the last day they sold tickets online, but I notice they lag by a couple days on stuff like that. So I don't believe it's a situation where they sold out, people will just have to purchase them at the door.

Besides, if they sold all the tickets I'm sure there would be press releases splattered all over the site :)

6. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

Do a search for IGC :) There was a big thread about it earlier. It is most definitely worth going, especially if you live close.

7. Greg Squire

Original Member

Ben,

The thread that discussed the benefits of going is this one
    http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=456. The real benefit from what I understand is being able to talk ("network") with people in the industry (developers, artists, publishers, game reviewers, etc).

I will be there, and hope to meet a lot of you this weekend!

Yes, I'm the guy that chained that poor monkey to the oversized watch (in my logo). I hope nobody from the ASPCA will be there. :D

#27 Greg Squire, Oct 6, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  8. Andy

Original Member

I hate them all!!! :mad:
    For not getting a chance to be there and drink with them as well... :D

9. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

I will be the guy who looks exactly like Clay Aiken :(

10. Kai Backman

Original Member Indie Author IGF Finalist

Or from Finland, Northern Europe .. ;) Maybe next year for me as well ..

11. Mike Boeh

Just wanted to say that it was cool meeting everyone and putting faces to all the names... It's funny how you have mental image of how people look, and then they look totally different, except Dan of course! Anyway, it was a really big turnout from people on the forum here, and great seeing everyone...

#31 Mike Boeh, Oct 11, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  12. David York

Original Member

I completely agree. This was awesome, it was wonderful meeting all of you guys that were there. This was an excellent and very educational experience.

13. maksum

Indie Author

Another quick opinion. I really enjoyed it as well and felt that I benefitted much. The classes were great, but without a doubt the most valuable experience there was standing behind people and observing them as they try to figure my game out. I have some great ideas of how I can improve usability on it now.

Also great to meet some of you.

Mike

14. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Yup... it was really great to meet you all and finally put a face to it. Mike, you mean all that time I thought I was talking to Clay Aiken and it was really you? I'm always getting the Mark McGuire thing.

15. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

Meeting people was the biggest reason I went - oh, and to see if people would actually play Derelict. It really was great to put names to faces. My voice is all warn out from all the talking. Typing is so much easier.

16. Greg Squire

Original Member

I agree it was a very good experience for a lot of reasons. The best thing for me was being able to meet all of you and others in the larger indie community. It was great also to talk with press people, artists, publishers, a game lawyer, and others connected to the industry. The sessions were also very good; I learned more in them than I thought I would. I also was able to get some feedback on a game play prototype that I had in the showoff center there. (It was something I quickly put together in a couple of weeks)

Hopefully I'll see you all (and others) again in 2005!

17. Mike Boeh

You DO look like Mark McGuire!

#37 Mike Boeh, Oct 11, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  18. tolik

Original Member

I would really love to join some kind of over-ocean event next year.

19. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

The tone was a lot different this year, a lot more big money types walking around (more on this after I collect my thoughts), and a lot of nicer looking games too. 35 games total were being showed this year and lots of game on the mac. It was awesome to meet everyone and re-affirm why we do what we do. I also had a lot of fun seeing and playing everyones games as well. Now back to work, I feel like I have so much to do!

20. dannyngan

Original Member

I definitely had a blast this weekend. Each year, IGC just keeps on getting better. As usual, it was great to meet people face to face instead of just online. I was actually surprised to see how many people were from the Seattle area. A few of you guys I've met at previous IGCs, but there were definitely a bunch of new faces this year, which is a cool thing.

For those who attended the art sessions, I hope you enjoyed what we presented. A lot of the material was sort of last minute, since most of us are busy working on our own stuff. If you have any comments or suggestions on the sessions, please feel free to contact me.

Looking forward to next year!