Indie Games Con

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by David York, Aug 27, 2004.

1. David York

Original Member

Is anybody going to the Indie Games Con in Eugene, Oregon this year? If so, we should all meet up and have an Indie dinner or some such thing.

2. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

Since it's all indies, that would be a pretty big dinner!

Anyway, I will be there.

3. Cartman

Indie Author

I'll be there.

4. Exotabe

Original Member

Thinking about it, haven't decided for sure yet. $150 + a round trip ticket from Chicago is a fair amount for a college kid with rent to pay and a new business to support. I'd drive, but lack a car and definitely couldn't afford the time lost.

Basically, I need to convince myself that it'll end up being more valuable in the long run to go than to skip it. And that will depend on the state of our game, so we'll see.

5. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

I am coming from chicago too... It's a very long trip :(

6. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

I'll be there too. It's great fun - though the sessions seem to be less interesting than they were last year.

7. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Woudn't miss it for the world, count me in.

8. Sillysoft

Indie Author

Looking through the speakers page it looks like there is going to be a bunch of fun and/or informative stuff. I am on the other side of the continent, but I would really like to go. I think that I will vacation there for a few days before or after to make the trip extra worthwhile.

9. mrfun

Indie Author

I'll be there too! Looking forward to saying hi to everyone.

10. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I'm in Southern Cal, so it's not too far away. However, I would still have to get a plane ticket and hotel accommodations in addition to the registration fee. Since my game will just be released around then, I should probably focus my resources and time on getting my game through the launch period instead of being out of state spending my newly earned money.

I'll definitely go next year though.

11. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

What if there is no next year? What if Garage Games folds and the IGC is never heard of again? Now's the time! You gotta go! There may not be a tomorrow!

12. Uhfgood

Original Member

Maybe the year after next ;-) It would take a major earth axis re-alignment to get me to go to anything with more than a few people. I mean just look how long it's taken for me to consider learning c++

Keith

13. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I may go, but it will depend upon the final list of sessions they will have. I can somewhat justify the trip by the fact that I have a friend in the area up there that I haven't seen in years. :) Like Chris, I too would have to fly from SoCal.

14. otaku

Original Member

Too many conferences, too little time...

I'm not sure if I'll be there. I have plans to go, but I just went to Classic Gaming Expo, I have a week long conference in Boston starting the 1st of September, XGDX is in October, there's another conference at the end of November, so trekking all the way up to Oregon (though I do need to get up to Seattle around that time) is going to be difficult (and exhausting).

15. ggambett

No Mike, a very long trip (and expensive!) would be going from Uruguay, south America :( Maybe next year...

16. Exotabe

Original Member

Hmm, perhaps you could start the UIGC (Uruguay Indie Games Con)? Just a thought, but I bet you'd have a local corner on that market :)

17. kevryan

Indie Author

I went last year and it was a lot of fun. Not sure about this year yet...

18. ggambett

There is no market here (unless I sell the games for $3 instead of $20), and there is only one other serious indie shop, which makes games for cell phones. Sometimes we go and have a coffee together so maybe that's our UIGC ;)

19. dannyngan

Original Member

I'm definitely going to be at IGC. Of course, I'm scheduled to speak during the art sessions, so I'd better show up. :)

20. Reactor

It's megabucks for me to get there, so... I'll be giving it a miss every year ;)