Indie Game Developer Wiki

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by ErikH2000, Aug 3, 2004.

1. ErikH2000

Original Member

2. serg3d

Original Member

Umm, such kinde of site should have dedicated domain name. Something like indiegamerwiki or like...

3. ErikH2000

Original Member

That's fine--domain names are cheap. I'll buy one and configure the site after some minimal level of popularity has been shown.

-Erik

4. Quest Engine

Indie Author

Thanks ErikH2000. I've heard this idea being batted around for a while and I thought it was a good one. I hope this really grows into a valuable resource.

5. Rod Hyde

Original Member

Erik

The Wiki is beginning to take shape nicely. Good job.

--- Rod

6. ErikH2000

Original Member

7. MattInglot

Moderator Original Member

Why not just indiewiki? I don't know if you want to branch out past games and into shareware in general or not but the domain name would be so much either to type and remember (assuming it's available).

8. samnova

Original Member

Why not www.indiegamer.com/wiki/

I mean, why a separate domain for it when it fits nicely with this site !

Just my thoughts,

Sam Nova

9. Nikster

Original Member

or http://wiki.indiegamer.com I assume these forums are sat on a box that lets you do subdomaining, as the forums follows the same convention :)

Ps: thumbs up to Lizardsoft.

10. ErikH2000

Original Member

It's set up now as www.indiewiki.org. The old URL to browse in will work for a little bit longer, and then I'll take it down.

-Erik

11. ErikH2000

Original Member

Oh, also I'm happy to support some kind of redirect from www.indiegamer.com/wiki or wiki.indiegamer.com if anyone at this site is interested and it isn't too much of a pain. And I'm willing to change the colors and appearance slightly to match.

-Erik

12. GBGames

Indie Author

This is an awesome resource that I wish I had checked out sooner (like when I saw the post originally). B-) Definitely a site I will be bookmarking.

13. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Since publishers have been a hot topic around here lately, maybe the Indie Wiki should have a list of publishers that handle Indie games.

I would avoid writing opinions on the publishers since everyone's experience is different. However, it would be useful to have a master list of publishers with a link to their website or basic contact info.

This way Indies can see what's all out there and not feel compelled to take the first offer they receive.

Maybe group the publishers by their primary distribution region such as "Europe, Asia, North America, or All".

What do you guys think?

14. andyb

Original Member

If there was a list then personally I would prefer an opinion on each publisher as well as just there name and distribution area. The more good or bad reviews of a publisher you get the better you can judge whether to spend your initial time talking to them, and anticipate what the outcome of your first meeting might be. First prepared and all that....

15. Rod Hyde

Original Member

How about combining the two? It is useful to have a master list, uncluttered by opinion, but people's opinions are often very useful.

Anyway, the idea of a wiki is that you get on there and do it...

16. ErikH2000

Original Member

I think this is legally dangerous. Not real familiar with the law, but the first time a contributor writes something that upsets a litigious publisher, I could be in for some big hassles. Also wikis aren't particularly well-suited for carrying controversial information, because anyone can come along and edit it, i.e. "I deleted what this guy said about my company because it isn't true.". My suggestion is to set up a private e-mail list or site that requires a login to access. I don't know exactly what the criteria would be for membership, but as long as you keep the information somewhat private you should avoid problems.

-Erik

17. ErikH2000

Original Member

Yeah, that would be nice to see more full-fledged articles and descriptions of things. I am happy with the person/people that just went crazy making lists of things, though.

Speaking of links, I have a request that contributors try not to leave unfilled links laying around for too long. If you aim to write something in the link a bit later, that's cool. If you think it might take a while for you to write it or you are hoping someone else will write it, then please add the topic to the "wish list for wiki" page (accessible from front page) instead of adding an unfilled link.

Much thanks to the anonymous writers that have been adding so much content in the last few days.

-Erik

18. ErikH2000

Original Member

I've been thinking some more about rating publishers, affiliates, web hosts, etc. For reasons mentioned above, I don't think the wiki is the right place for describing personal experiences with companies, but perhaps we could do something slightly different. After the name of an entity of which you have an opinion, put either a plus or a minus and your forum name. So for example the list of payment processors might end up looking like this:

* BMT Micro (opinions: +Coder20x6)
    * DigiBuy
    * eSellerate
    * Kagi (opinions: +JimboX +Bubba)
    * RegSoft
    * RegNow!
    * Share*It
    * SWREG
    * Plimus (opinions: +Bubba +Tombo -Coder20x6)
    * Emetrix

If someone wishes to contact an opinion-giver in private to get more information, or post on the forum to get info, then he can do that. Also, having a name next to the opinion, to some extent guards against a disgruntled type coming in and changing the rating to something arbitrary--or at least it will be more obvious when this happens.

This seems like a reasonable rating system to me, but before we start doing that, what do you think?

-Erik