Indie Game Contest - $10k grand prize + publishing deals to consoles!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by 2BeeGames, Mar 12, 2009.

1. 2BeeGames

2BeeGames New Member

Hey guys,

We're throwing an Indie Game Contest over at www.2beegames.com
    Submission deadline is April 15!
    Grand Prize is $10,000 and a publishing deal to console (deal is negotiated after the contest. You keep all rights to your games by entering :) )
    Community favorites win $5000 and $2500.

What we're really looking for is great indie games who want to get on another platform, needs some help further enhancing the game, etc.

We may discuss publishing deals with some developers even without winning.
    We have listened to the feedback and have blown the contest wide open.
    PC games, Flash, and XNA games are accepted.
    Any questions? Shoot me an email Tony@2beegames.com or PM.
    We'll be at the Indie Games Summit and Booth #6149 at GDC if anyone is going.

2. thehen

thehen New Member

I heard people were not happy with the official rules or something? Have these been resolved?

3. 2BeeGames

2BeeGames New Member

Yes, the rules were way too harsh in the beginning.
    Our lawyers pretty much steamrolled us into it but we have since worked to fix all of the major concerns due to the great advice and feedback we received.
    We have even fixed the judging structure - now we have a panel deciding the grand prize and added the community favorite awards. We have even bumped the prize $ up a bit and added XNA support.

#3 2BeeGames, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  4. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I don't like the part about transferring ownership. Been there, done that, got t-shirt. I'd love there to be an iPhone version of Buzzword but I don't think I'll bother with that rule in place.

5. 2BeeGames

2BeeGames New Member

It's meant to ensure that the developer has all of the rights in place in case we come up with a deal that involves transferring of ownership. I don't like the way it is worded either and will work to have that changed. I think that whole transferring line can come out. Anything else look bad?

6. 2BeeGames

2BeeGames New Member

Done and done. Now i have the fun job of emailing all the entries and have them re-submit their games but this was a pretty important change. Sorry to hear that you have been screwed around with before on contests. We're trying our best to make this work out well.

7. Desktop Gaming

I'll have a proper read through the rules sometime over the weekend. In the process of moving house (on 16th March) and got a 4 month old kid so I'm super busy at the moment, plus after the weekend I'll be offline for a couple of weeks while I get everything sorted out at my new place.

Fun. :(

8. ChrisP

Indie Author

Clause #5 might be OK now that it's been amended, but I can't tell because I can't make sense of it. :)

"and for the purpose, of the Contest Entities and the Contest Entities’ goods and/or services limited to, the hosting of the games on the site, advertising or promotion of the Contest and the Contest Website" - I can't parse this bit in particular. Typo or even-more-convoluted-than-usual legalese? Can someone explain it to me?

9. JeBuS

JeBuS New Member

When I first read that clause, I thought to myself "So I get to keep all rights to my game, but I also grant you the same rights to do whatever you want with it? Yeah, I don't think so."

10. 2BeeGames

2BeeGames New Member

Yeah that one means that the only purpose you are granting for us to use the games is for the contest, contest website and to promote the contest (and contest website.). It says that thats what it's limited to.
    The original purpose was boilerplate language the lawyer used which said they could be used for any purpose. I believe many other places use similar language.
    I swear legalese is only used to keep lawyers in business as they are the only ones who can understand it.
    We've been going over this stuff extensively the past week and we were assured that it is very open now as no rights are lost by entering, even winning entries will have discussions on publishing deals and if no deal is reached the money (and title) is theirs to keep.

#10 2BeeGames, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  11. ChrisP

Indie Author

I understand that's your intention. I'm just relying on the actual licence text since that's the only text that is actually binding. :)

Well, it might mean "only for the purposes of the contest", which appears to be the intention, in which case it's fine. Especially since it refers to "the Games you submit", which in most cases would just be the demo since you're recommended to enter the demo version.

But like I said, I can't parse the actual text, and that's what matters. It's a little more understandable if you delete some commas and shift others around, but it's still pretty mangled and the scope of various phrases is unclear. Normally I can stomach legalese pretty easily, but this just isn't English.

12. Pyabo

Original Member

If all your lawyer is doing is dropping boilerplate text into your agreement, you might as well save the $300/hr charge and do it yourself. That way it will make more sense to you AND the contest entrants. The idea that you have to have a lawyer draft this sort of thing is perpetuated by lawyers.

13. Xathia Vastar

Xathia Vastar New Member

Well it's kinda making things a bit unfair with the contest since you just post this thread yesterday, but the contest has been going on since February and no one knew about it since then...

14. thehen

thehen New Member

This has been around for a while on indie game blogs and news sites.

15. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

My understanding of clause #5 means they have the right to distribute your game on their site forever, and there is no mention of price or royalties payed to the developer (so can they, according to clause #5, distribute your game for free?).

16. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

It's difficult to understand,
    some people told 'some of the agreement' is not so good,
    then indie game maker will not be so happy to enter.

I'm not indie game maker, as you can see in my signature.
    But as a press (or blog or whatever you call it), I can't post that news in my area, due to the reason I wrote above.

Some other people from other press (or blog or whatever you call it) could feel similar.

17. Desktop Gaming

Aye, the whole terms and conditions is way too contrived for a competition. I don't see why these things can't be written in plain, understandable English rather than getting some lawyer to charge $400/hour to write the rules in gibberish. I'm not a lawyer and I simply don't understand most of it - its incredibly difficult to read/follow/understand. I would never sign a contract that I didn't fully understand, and by signing up that's essentially what I'd be doing.

Think I'll err on the side of caution and sit this one out.

18. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Absolutely! You pay the lawyer, and they just write legal gobbldigook, that ordinary mortals don't understand, and the net result is that it drives people away.

You need to communicate with people on a level that they can relate to and comprehend. Most indie game devs, don't have legal gobbldigook as a second language!

19. 2BeeGames

2BeeGames New Member

We actually started this on March 1st. The good thing is that entries are still open for another month and pre-existing games are welcome.

I understand if some people are still very cautious but we have been doing our best to show that we've been listening and have been making appropriate changes to the rules and FAQs.

The reason we may need more legal mumbo jumbo than some other contests is because the games are going to be playable on the site. User generated content always has tons of rules. Not just in gaming sites but video, art and photography sites as well.

The rules have been opened up considerably so there shouldn't be any big issues. We have been receiving some great entries after our revisions and don't want to discourage anyone from entering.
    You can PM me, send me an email (tony@2beegames.com) or just reply to this thread with any questions.

20. speeler

Indie Author

I saw this a few days ago and was a bit interested until I read rule #2:

2. Eligibility: Contest is open to individuals who are at least 18 years of age and who are not employees of a company that develops and/or produces computer video games.

This rule makes all of us that own our own companies ineligible. I'm not sure if that was the intention or not though.