Indie Game Competition - $15k and possible publishing deals!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by 2BeeGames, Sep 23, 2009.

1. princec

Indie Author

Just sounds like every other "publisher" we've ever had the misfortune of doing "business" with. Except Komputerswiat, a Polish magazine, who actually paid. The only honest bunch we have encountered in all these years.

Cas :)

2. nino_rajacic

nino_rajacic New Member

This explains a lot Scharlo, and unfortunately this is not first "publisher management switching = not paying to developer" sad story.

But I don't see how acusation on 2bee games can help anyone without just throwing it into this thread, and not argumenting. As a matter of fact 2bee was very honest and shared all of hes taugths frankly with us. I agree with Dan that we should treat eachother here with more respect and continue on building of positive spirit this community of indies always had. So, lot's of confusion could be avoided by saying all you can in first reply.

Thank you for the explantion and I hope that will not make big influence to this competition. Of course 2bee stated that premies from last competition were paid and that there is not problems with funding. My only concern is who is offering "major console publishing deal"? If that's Zoo Games, maybe winners should take in concern Scharlo's kind warning messages.

3. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Thanks, man, see, this is all easy.

Knowing the circumstances surrounding your grievance helps us make a more informed choice.

I can appreciate the warning now, Scharlo, thank you. :)

4. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Of course, and that's the issue at hand. Many of us want to foster an idealistic community of developers, but realize that's not everyone's intention. There's some bad blood ($250k+ worth), and for a change you get to actually hear about it. Your mileage may vary. We've critiqued the competition in the past, and the indie community is keeping a close eye.

There's a reason many developers have been gravitating towards app stores, consoles, and certain portals over others. You know those random biz and distribution contacts you get out of the blue? Yeah, they work out less often than most people would like. 10 years ago we as developers were powerless, and had to play that silly mingle+biz+publisher distribution game. Today, we have direct channels on all fronts in all markets. And today, developer owned IP in our hands has value. So as before, be aware of what rights you forfeit for a stab at a single $15k payout.

The lesson here is you should be scrutinizing everyone. This isn't kindergarten, this is business.

5. papillon

Indie Author

Big money contests are rough. Probably for the publishers as well, since they suddenly have to deal with completely unknown flaky people, but I can't speak for them as I'm not one! :) But winners tend to find that it's NOT as easy as 'be declared winner, be given check'. Sometimes things work out in the long run, sometimes they don't.

Contests are fun; don't pin all your hopes and dreams on one, no matter who's running it.

6. dewitters

Original Member

I highly appreciate the heads-up from Scharlo. And to be honest I don't care what the guys at 2Bee know or don't know. If Zoo Games is the parent company and is funding the whole thing, it's obvious to me who's calling the shots, and who is going to benefit from it.

7. JGOware

Indie Author

I'd like to know who won last year's publishing award and who the publisher is. Thanks.

8. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

That's not to say a company shouldn't benefit, but realize what this competition is. It's $15k (plus a GDC booth and some other marketing related and travel fees) to collect a portfolio of publishable IP. If just one works out, even after running a couple competitions, it pays for itself.

Zoo Games is a licensed entity that can publish on all the major platforms. How the full development of the projects fund themselves is up for question (see above). But it's a pretty easy and cheap way to scout for new ideas.

And hey, you could do it too. Get some office space, a big desk, a static IP, some venture capital, and fire out some licensee applications to the big 3. Congratulations, you're a publisher. :cool:

9. Matuda

Matuda New Member

Very interesting.

Hope that everything is OK now :rolleyes:

10. princec

Indie Author

Well, it looks like Scharlo's funding it all, indirectly :) Big props to Scharlo!

Cas :)

11. ragdollsoft

Original Member

Hehe, good one ;)

12. Maupin

Original Member

Ha ha, that is comedy. :)

Maybe all the funnier because it's true.

13. m3xican

m3xican New Member

This news was in the Google Alert I received this morning:

Zoo Games Signs Indie Developed 'Storm'

Maybe it's a coincidence they came to an agreement several weeks after the end of the first contest and just few days after the accusation stated in this thread, but, who knows... :)

14. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

No, it's not a coincidence. Even back during the first competition, it was quite clear what the competition was about. Collecting useful IP for Zoo Games. Not that there's anything wrong with that. This is business after all. What's "wrong" may come later, or it might not.

15. Zollo

Zollo New Member

Anyone know why 2beegame turned into indiepub? The prize money also jumped to $100,000. Which seems like a lot. It would be interesting to hear a testimonial from a winner.