Indie Dinner for GDC 2010

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Musenik, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Musenik

Original Member

Hello,

It's quite early, yet, but as members here solidify plans to attend the GDC, please pipe up with the night(s) that best works for you to meet up for dinner.

I can arrange reservations again at Bucca D'Beppo, or we can try a different venue. Last year we had two tables in different rooms.

One possibility is to go the the nearby mall and grab a ton of seats and eat at the mostly up-scale mall restaurants. The food is quite good, and the variety is lavish. It's pretty noisy, but so can be BDB.

Also, Mel's Diner might allow us to reserve a big section, but they can be pre-booked by special GDC events.

Then there is the secret Hunan chinese restaurant that has good seating for lots of people and the only noise will be ourselves outtalking each other.

anyway, a few options, and plenty of time...

2. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

I like Bucca, it usually works out well, but I'm open.
    I'm up for just meeting at the convention center and going from there as a group for food as well if that is preferred.

Last time we had some conflict between us and the official IGS thing, so it would be good to avoid that if possible.

The awards are Thr.
    I would guess the IGS will do something Wed? (does anyone know?)
    So that leaves Fri/Tues.

3. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

I'm up for meeting other indies this year. Got a fair few other evenings booked up, so something more flexible really suits me.

We went to a pizza place up the road last year for one of the indie summit nights and that was pretty good (its up the road on the right as you come out of the moscone, but was a bit of a walk).

Kind of prefer somewhere informal and quiet to talk at though. Had a good little chat with some peeps over in the metreon that week too.

Sigh, its always too busy or not busy enough :)

4. tolik

Original Member

Wow, do you accept resident trolls?

5. Musenik

Original Member

tolik: Sure! Please attend. Where in Europe are you currently traipsing? SF has many European charms...

Cyrus: The big problem with Bucca, last year, was when the reservation count gets too big, they want you to order from a limited menu at a higher cost. (although it includes things like drinks and dessert)

I'm cool with the "Hey, we're indie, we'll find a place." 'tude. I know the area very well and can lead us to certain doom, um, delight. Yeah, that's right. :)

6. Scharlo

Original Member

Count me in if we don't end up with very big group because this might be too hard to organize.

7. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Yeah, put me down as a maybe again. I know last year I had couple conflicts and couldn't make it, but we'll see about this year.

8. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Keith, last year for Bucca didn't we just make two small reservations?
    My only concern actually was that we had to kill one of them as we just didn't have enough people. That being the case, a meet and go somewhere seems good...but that is probably day dependent.
    If we're planning for Friday night we'll need a reservation I'm sure :).

9. manicmilkman

manicmilkman New Member

I'm in! Extra easy because I live nearby...

10. ChrisP

Indie Author

I am officially jealous of people who live near San Francisco. Bastards. ;)

If by some miracle I manage to make it to GDC then I'd love to come again. Don't put me down just yet though, as I suspect I won't make it. :(

11. vjvj

Indie Author

I'm down for dinner again. RSVP me for two, as my partner probably will be joining me.

Another option would be Thirsty Bear on Howard St. for tapas. They have a standup bar-type area where we can mingle a bit better, they serve small plates so cash-conscious people don't have to spend a lot, and I don't think we need a reservation. The only caveat is that it isn't necessarily quiet in there (but maybe Tues. night won't be so bad?)...

12. papillon

Indie Author

I may be in SF without actually attending the GDC (because I'm poor and antisocial and fear conferences) so if you don't mind having LURKING indies around me and a partner are possibles.

13. Musenik

Original Member

Please join us, Papillon. Before we walk to our chosen destination, we'll meet in a common area, where you won't need a badge.

14. CraigStroenker

CraigStroenker New Member

Oh I wish I could be there, I have some exams to attend but hopefully GDC has something big for the indie community.

15. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Well, there's nothing wrong with hanging out with others exactly like you then :)

16. Agent 4125

Indie Author

I might join in as well. I live in the Bay Area but won't be attending the conference.

17. iGame Omaha

Original Member

Count me as another maybe. My plans for GDC are still not quite finalized, but if I go it will be just for a couple of days anyway.

I think that while the local food court might be cheaper and easier to manage, it might make it more difficult to do the talk thing. Just my 2 cents worth.

18. Amirai

Amirai New Member

I'm a local, so another maybe here. :)

19. andrew

andrew New Member

I'm a maybe, depending on what day and if it conflicts with anything...

- andrew

20. Matt2East

Original Member

I'll be at GDC.