Indie Dinner at the GDC

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Musenik, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Musenik

Original Member

Okay, there's been some mention of a dinner for indies, during the GDC. One person has already offered to buy. If there's a large crowd, we should make reservations.

Bucco D'Beppo is a family style Italian restaurant that attempts to assassinate their guests with too much food. It's a few blocks away from Moscone.

Chevy's is close, but not open late. We went to Mel's diner a couple years ago. They're open very late.

Unfortunately, there will be a lot of competition with events during the convention. I suggest we plan something for Monday or Tuesday.

2. MFS

MFS New Member

My business partner and I would definitely be interested in meething up for an Indie dinner. I haven't really met many people in the indie scene yet, and am still actually making the transition out of the mainstream industry, but this sounds like the perfect opportunity to meet some people.

Unfortunately we won't be flying into SF until Tuesday evening, so for us a Tuesday dinner would work if it was later rather than earlier. As for the rest of the week, I'd cancel whatever else I have going on to meet up.

We'll be staying at the Hotel Metropolis, and are definitely interested in meeting with any and all indies for drinks!

3. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

I'm in and I love the Bucco idea...we nearly got thrown out of there for an indie dinner 3 years ago... :)

4. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

I'm in! I want to see Russell get kicked out of a restaurant ;)

Those Reflexive guys are a rowdy bunch!

5. Sirrus

Original Member

Might be able to make it as well, esp if Brian buys ;)

6. radishan

Original Member

1. I'm interested
    2. Bucco is tasty
    3. Any night works for me

7. sillytuna

Indie Author

Hey all, Monday night perhaps?

(And also interested)

8. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

I would love to join you all but I don't get in town until Tuesday so I hope you don't settle on Monday.

Now, who has enough initiate to set a date, time and place? The last time I tried to organize an Indie meetup at a conference I picked a restaurant that had been closed for 6 months. Hopefully a local will set us up with a plan.

9. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

:eek: we meaning a group...I would never... :rolleyes:

10. arcadetown

I'm not getting in till Tues and many others don't also so let's please not do Mon. Weds night has lots of parties so let's not compete against that. So how's Tues night?

11. TimS

Original Member

I'm also in for it if it's on Tuesday instead of Monday. No real preference on place -- whatever works.

-Tim

12. Musenik

Original Member

Matt & Co. @ FlashBang are putting on their indie party, starting at 8:00pm, Tue.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1102.0;topicseen

I made reservations at Buca for 7:00pm, Tuesday. I said there would be at least 10 us, but they would like a more exact number before then. Please post if you're considering attending.

13. Ryan Clark

Indie Author

Bucco at 7pm Tues, Flashbang at 8pm. I'm in for that.

14. ChrisP

Indie Author

I'd like to join in. This is me, for anyone with access to myGDC.

That makes roughly 14 people, I think?

Hmm - I can't find the place on Google Maps. Where is it exactly?

15. Agent 4125

Indie Author

You can count me in. =) Thanks for organizing this, Musenik.

16. Musenik

Original Member

ChrisP,

Buca D Beppo is on Howard St. between 4th and 5th. It's two big blocks from Moscone. Easy walk.

We could meet up at the IGF booths, walk to Buca before the reservation, and hope any late comers meet us at the restaurant at 7:00pm.

17. ChrisP

Indie Author

Ah, thanks. The spelling was slightly off. Google lists it as "Buca Di Beppo".

Sounds like a plan!

18. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

Put me down for 2 - I'll be there with my brother (and I'd actually push for Thursday night...less conflicts...)

19. arcadetown

3 Arcadetown crew is in. A lot of people tend to bail GDC by Thurs including myself.

20. sillytuna

Indie Author

I will definitely be there.

I will also see if the student I'm tutoring for the IGDA is interested. I'm trying to persuade her that she should be meeting indie types as much as regular developers!