Indie be aware: Idea thieves

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Indie, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Indie

Indie New Member

Dear indie game developers,

I want to share with you one of my worst experiences in the field of game development. I hope, my bad experiences can help you all, to protect yourself from those persons..

You know the game Spore (Electronic Arts). It was promising, but at the end, the gameplay was meant for very small children and the game therefore disappointed most players. In order to hopefully trigger the development of a better version of Spore, I announced inside their forum the - at that time not existing - development of another game, let me call it here just "E...". Later on, me and others made our idea real, and started the development. We got a lot of enthusiasm and support from the disappointed Spore player community, and a lot of persons joined that development. We became more and more developers for our open-source game "E...", and everything just seemed fine...

But of course, there are always the bad ones. They hide in the shadows, and come out and take their prey when it is fat and promising.

Right when we were been on the peak of ideas, enthusiasm and development, just having launched our first prototype software, suddenly out of the blue sky our forum started to be bombed down by spam bots and some guys suddenly started to spread distrust and wanted to take over control over the forum "because they could stop these spam bots" better than me and my admins. We of course denied them total control of our forum. Now they started to send out messages in secret to all forum members, declared us as incapable, and copied the contents of our entire forum and created a 100% copy, now under the name "T..." and with my name as the founder of the project removed, but still using all of my concept names for the editors, and even my own artwork. And right after, a mysterious cyber attack scrambled our original database, and since that time we are off the development. While these people continue to promote "their" T-game and continue to develop it. Even worse, now our own database being crippled, almost all of our remaining developers saw no other way than to move to the new "game founders" and work there, or to retire from the development totally...

This was a take-over and stealing of all our ideas and concepts and developers.

Even today, wherever I am posting about "E...", there are some of their people immediately counter-posting and saying, that their T-game has nothing in common with our "E..." and besides, that ideas cannot be copyrighted and everybody could have the same ideas. I must stop to talk about this matter.

I do not intend to stop talking about this matter, and - in opposition - would like to offer this subject to you all to think and talk about. Because idea theft can happen to everyone, and especially indie game developers are not organized and legally protected against such thieves. I would like you all to talk about it, in order to prepare yourself and other indie developers about such things, and to introduce measurements that should be taken against such bad events. I want, having lost my own game with all its ideas and concepts to thieves, that my damage will be converted to the protection for other indie game developers.

Indie

2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

That definitely sucks and I'm not a lawyer so I don't know if you can do anything about it but my advice would be to keep making your game and make it better than theirs and continually update it so that it is always better than theirs. This is more easily said than done of course. Good luck with it.

3. Indie

Indie New Member

I would like to use my own bad experience and this thread, to discuss and develop strategies that can help other indie developers not to make the same bad experience.

Let's use this thread, to develop strategies and security measurements, that those things cannot happen to us developers. Ideas welcome. Let's post here.

4. ManuTOO

Original Member

1st tip : do a daily (or least weekly or monthly) backup of your forum database, and all other relevant databases on your website.

5. Indie

Indie New Member

Yes, making often a backup of the database will protect against data loss.

What I and other indie game developers would like to know, how we can prevent that thieves steal our ideas and forum contents and start using it as "their own game"?
    And also, what to do, after that has happened?

6. AnthonyBannachMusic

AnthonyBannachMusic New Member

Aw man that's bogus to hear. I think people may think that when they are doing indie things with their friends or equally passionate creative people, the total rush of working on a cool project kind of blinds them from thinking about people's less kind sides. Make sure from now on to always have some kind of hierarchical structure laid out that's enforced by a contract to avoid a scenario like this again. Keep fighting bud.

7. nuclearsnke

nuclearsnke New Member

Oh man, that's a terrible thing to hear. It's scary to think that people in your own community, that are supposed to be striving to help collaborate and generate ideas to make a project better are secretly plotting to take down and steal a game development project :(

8. jokeaccount

jokeaccount New Member

A little amateur internet detective work revealed this tl;dr:

http://revolutionarygamesstudio.com/faq/where-did-this-project-begin-and-how-has-it-evolved/

Now I have no idea if they really just broke off or they forcefully kicked you out but my butt-hurt sensor is definitely tingling here. And this must have happened back in 2012. After 3 years you still run around making pity posts? Instead of hoping to get people's support or whatever you should have capitalized on Thrive's massive failure (almost no progress in the last 3 years) and have already put out your version of the game (3 years is plenty if you don't try to make a quadruple A game) thus gaining all of the available market and being lightyears ahead.

Idea theft will always be a factor. Even if you manage to keep your idea secret until release, a chinese company will use its slaveworkers to produce a copy in months. The only way to win is to have a better product. Be the better designer and you'll have nothing to worry about. Don't come here crying, just get to work and if you truly deserve to be the producer of this game you'll succeed since they seem to be failing already.

#8 jokeaccount, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  9. dannthr

dannthr New Member

The only true way to fight idea theft is to be an unending fountain of good ideas. People who steal cannot originate, and people who originate, often can do so without limit. Always move forward, always try to improve yourself and your projects and your ideas, and really don't worry about the thieves because they will always be there lurking in the shadows to take things and ultimately, an idea is only as good as its implementation.

Copyright your tangibles and constantly be better than other people at the execution of good ideas.