*Indie Author* ?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Desktop Gaming, Sep 12, 2007.

1. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Its true that being an author doesnt always equate with being a good poster. But generally speaking you're MORE likely to be a good poster if you have the experience of developing a game from scratch and take it to market. I can't help it if some competent game developers are ALSO crazy. (you know who you are!)

As for the MVP badge idea.. ehn.. I donno. Might be a good idea, but lets start with this one and see how it goes -- I'd actually prefer it to be a little graphic of some kind. The idea came from the cgsociety.org forum where a badge shows up for members. (on that forum its just a matter of paying a membership fee...)

2. Rainer Deyke

Indie Author

In subjective matters such as the relative helpfulness of forum members, I think it's best to let each person decide for themselves. Officially endorsing the opinion of the moderators invites useless discussions about who should or should not get the badge, and makes it difficult to disagree with the moderators.

3. jankoM

Indie Author

I agree that someone who yesterday got an idea that he wants to make indie games and someone who is making them for years can feel and appear similarly competent and "smart" (I know how I was feeling). That's why I like to know who made something yet and who didn't. It doesn't mean that I won't listen the one who didn't. I will just have an additional information when reading the posts.

I like to be on a forum of the "doers" which is not overcrowded by the "dreamers" also. It's easier to be dreamer than doer.

But on the other hand the *Indie Author* is not very good solution for artists and music makers/sfx who can be also very professional and live by their work but basically haven't released a game. Finding out which artist is *author* and which isn't is like a pool of grey.

if the badge is for releasing a game then it can just say "Released a game" which also holds much less tripping baggage. And maybe it could be a little less eye-jumping.

But all in all... The badge doesn't worry me at all ... the problem we have with previous "elite" or the "elders" is that they were leaving the forum not that they were stomping on the newbies or less "elite".

#63 jankoM, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  4. princec

Indie Author

If you're a freelance artist and you've done the art for a game, you're an "indie author".

But it's an awfully tacky badge isn't it?

I've got a neat idea: how about for the forum to allow "indie authors" to upload a graphic avatar finally for their posts.

Cas :)

5. bignobody

Indie Author

No worries. I've got a good (if strange) sense of humour and a thick skin, so it's all good :D

6. tentons

Indie Author

I think that would depend on the culture of the forums. It works in the OGRE forums. *shrugs*

7. Coyote

Indie Author

I like the badge.

If too much time passes between releases, do you lose the badge? If so, I may be in trouble.. :)

8. svero

yeah me too!

- S

9. Andy

Original Member

Who is an author of the badge btw? I like it too.
    Not that I want one but it is pretty well done. Good job who ever you are! :D

10. AJirenius

AJirenius New Member

I sure want one. Not to show you guys, but to show me.

Working hard to get one within this month actually

11. Dan MacDonald

The allmighty DayDream created the badge. He's also the artist behind numerous indiegamer forum member projects :)

12. Andy

Original Member

I know this is this f..ker. I always able to recognize his awesome jobs. Two simple shapes and here you go - get the awesome stuff.
    Great job DayDream! As always...

13. lakibuk

Indie Author

This is one big chunk of a badge.
    I wonder what is its symbolism?
    Indie author: The one who has the the correct (check-mark) ideas (bulb) ?

14. Andy

Original Member

It means "Your ideas are big BS! Wanna be an Indie Author? - Get the idea, work hard and release it" :D

15. Tom Cain

Indie Author

I think it's: turned an idea (bulb in thought balloon) into (arrow) a completed product (checkmarked box). The symbols are pretty clear to me, but maybe they don't translate worldwide?

16. lakibuk

Indie Author

Ah yes, must be this.

17. Bad Sector

Original Member

That's what i thought too, so it works :)

18. soniCron

Indie Author

Oh, I thought it was a hen inside of a bubble. I should turn down my monitor brightness...

19. DayDream

Indie Author

A quick work from the source...
    Yes... it was supposed to be idea turning into a finished (boxed) product - ticked off task...

Thanks for the nice words and hey... it might be big and tacky to some... but I still like my 5min job... :)

20. Andy

Original Member

Real samurai don't need a time to prepare for a battle. He should be always ready for it. ;)