Inca Quest released

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by HunterSD, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HunterSD

Indie Author

Hi guys,

Rock Solid Games is proud to announce that our first game, Inca Quest, has just been released over at iWin. Give it a try and tell us what you think!

Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2
    Screenshot 3

Demo

#1 HunterSD, Mar 27, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  2. princec

Indie Author

I've been following the development of Inca Quest since not long after their civilisation collapsed. Try it out - it's an exercise in match-3 casual perfection. I expect Mike will make a fortune on it.

Cas :)

3. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Hey, I saw art from this game at Rod Smith's online portfolio and wondering when that game was released, since it's been A LONG time since I saw it, and by looking at the artwork it seemed like completely done.

Impressive work you have done here, congratulations. So, how long has the game taken to develop? :rolleyes:

4. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Congratulations Michael and Rod,

One of the best casual games I have ever had the pleasure to play. It's taken a while to make but you can't rush perfection can you? :)

5. Bmc

Bmc New Member

this game has been out for a month or so already hasn't it?

it's good

6. Sparks

Original Member

Hi,

is the download link broken ?
    When I try to save the exe, it just saves some kind of html file...?

7. jankoM

Indie Author

that is the beauty of iWin special user friendly download appie ;). I too was thinking like "hmm... what could be the good thing of dl-ing it this way??"

Game is very nice indeed highly polished as far as I can tell. graphics and music make good atmosphere.

8. mooktown

Original Member

top marks for presentation, very nice. cool game too, although its a little too easy to sneak balls through tight gaps :)

9. Sharpfish

Original Member

Nicely presented game. Solid and pulled off the theme and atmosphere well.! :)

I saw a bug, dunno why it always seems to happen to me, the "are you sure you want to quit to map screen?" box and the "are you sure you want to quit game?" box are messed up when you display them after playing. You get the large brown texture but the borders are missing (all offset to one side). I can take a shot if you like. This is on gf4ti4200 with fairly new driver.

Anyway, well done with the game. I would have like to have seen more animation or movement on the edges of the play area as it looked quite static. Also I REALLY missed a handy guide to tell me which piece was in the launcher, yeah I know - look down, but this got tiresome for me to keep moving my focus from the playfield to the launcher. Most games of this type normally give a guid line or failing that at least a colour-coded cursor as a quick hint. I feel that would improve the fun/gameplay quite a bit.. but your call (And a bit late to change now ;) )

Gfx were very nice, sound and music was good.

edit > screenshot of bug http://www.realityfakers.com/dump/iqbug.jpg

10. Nexic

Indie Author

It's a great game but why do you say it's your first? What about Juno? :p

11. Savant

Original Member

Indeed it has.

12. HunterSD

Indie Author

That was inevitable (not that I care), but I'm surprised that you got to it while it was still in a soft release.

I have to say though that you really lose points for consistency. Why is Titan Attacks on your front page and not in your clone blog? It is, after all, a blatant clone of puppy invaders (which I wrote)...

13. Sparks

Original Member

Hi,

I think the iWin download method is anti-casual (heck, it fooled ME, and I play games since 1988), but I downloaded the demo anyway (I am using one comp for internet and mail, and one for work).
    Have to agree with shrpfish, on the screenshots it looks great, but the fact that I have to look down to the lightbeam shooter to actually see what ammo is loaded distracts a lot from the gameplay and makes in unnecessary difficult.
    I prefer Fortune Tiles for example, where You always see what You have, so to speak.
    The presentation is great though, just that one partcular movement the shaman does in that upper left window made me giggle, because him moving his fist up and down, well, that COULD be interpreted as...Ya know...:eek:

14. Savant

Original Member

No, it isn't.

15. ManuelFLara

Indie Author

Then why Inca Quest is a blatant clone of Puzzle Bobble? Titan Attacks uses the same fundamental mechanic as Galaga (or Puppy Invaders), then adds a lot on top of it. Exactly the same Inca Quest does.

I think you are a little biased on the genre when deciding if a game is a clone or not. I've just scanned the last three or four pages of your blog and the only non-puzzle game being called a clone is Mighty Rodent. Sure, there are a lot more Bejeweled-Chuzzle-Zuma-etc clones being released today than Space Invader or Defender, but they're still there. Someone releases a Defender clone and "it's a space shooter", but if it's targeted to portal users, then it's "a blatant clone of". I can see the difference between clone (like, of an old game) and parasite (sales canibalization, when the original is still selling well). The later are the real problem here, not the former.

16. Sharpfish

Original Member

I think we established some weeks ago that Savant's selection process for what is a "clone" is hazy at best. Started off with some genuine "blatant clones" then moved to "generic puzzles", even if the original product was years ago.

Shoot em ups get through because they are all "cool and hardcore and make you look retro and interesting" like.. even though we have been playing those exact types of games far longer than puzzles which surfaced much later as rounded balanced products compared to shooters, platform and adventure games. It's as if the 8 bit era never existed for Savant! ;)

17. Savant

Original Member

You have no idea how many shooters I've looked at and uninstalled in the first 30 seconds. Shooters can easily suck but they aren't often exact clones of each other like match-3's tend to be.

18. Sakura Games

Original Member

Bah you guys all suck, don't have yet understood how the brilliant Savant makes his decision?

can he get money from game x? then game x is original and great

can't he get money from game x? then game x is a fucking stupid clone!

correct me if I'm wrong!

19. Savant

Original Member

Check the download link on the front page. Does that link to an affiliate build or to the Puppygames download page?

So explain to me how I'm making money by featuring Titan Attacks.

20. Sakura Games

Original Member

Ok was wrong with that, but answer this question:
    what benefit you or the whole community get when you say "it's a clone" after someone announce a game? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.