In 2014 I did....

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Bram, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

Hello fellow developers,

It is time to review our 12 month old intentions for 2014, which we collected in this thread:
    http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?35896-In-2014-I-will

So allow me to go first.
    Unlike the previous years, I really missed my mark this year.

My predictions for 2014 were:

• Publish a web game. FAIL. Even though I ported Little Crane with emscripten to JS, I never published it. I was not able to find a good venue for it. Anyone?
    • Publish Little Crane II (with soil sim) FAIL. Made a little progress with it, it is still far from publishable state.
    • Earn half of the income I had in 2013. SUCCESS. I was pretty much spot on, with this prediction.
    • Reach 750 Twittter followers FAIL. Got stuck at 663 followers.
    • Participate in a Ludum Dare or similar jam. FAIL. Family life and work simply never allowed 48h time slots.

Please add your post mortem to this thread.
    In january, I, or someone else, will open a 'In 2015 I will...' thread where I will attempt a new forecast in this fine indiegamer honoured tradition.

2. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

[​IMG]

I'm surprised.

No one else wants to reflect back on their intentions from 2014?

Bram

3. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes New Member

Forums aren't as busy as they used to be. I don't think any of the veterans from a couple years ago are still here.

In 2014, I will...

1) Release three games, including:
    1a) One on a mobile platform, most likely Android. Garage Games is set to release a Android version of their engine in 2014.
    1b) One on a portal or via a publisher. No luck in the past.
    1c) One web-based.

In the end, I released two projects to zero fanfare. I started working on a mobile project but that's still in progress and months delayed. I had a web-based game up and down in 2013 but didn't have any followup success.

In 2015, I will...

Release three projects:

1) a web-based daily game
    2) an Android game
    3) an RPG module based on d6xd6

4. Dewfreak83

Dewfreak83 New Member

Hah, I misread the original thread - I though it was for 2015 initially... so I only failed at posting it originally? lol...

5. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

In 2014, I will:

1) Launch my 2D MMO Kickstarter campaign with the hope of reaching a beta release

One goal and... FAIL! I made a lot of progress and I'm shooting for March.

6. Olofson

Original Member

So, I pretty much suceeded this time! :D

I can't guarantee that I'm still sane - but at least I...
    • Kept my job.
    • Got myself a nice BMW. (The old Ford had to be retired anyway.)
    • Went to a bunch of trackdays with the Westfield.
    • Managed to smash my oil pan and spin some rod bearings.
    • Fixed the above.
    • Went to some more trackdays.
    And, although I was pretty close to burnout before Christmas, it would appear that I've indeed managed to survive as well!

Meanwhidle, I also put some work into EEL (scripting language) and Audiality 2 (realtime scripted modular audio engine), and I've also started working on two "reasonably sized" projects;
    • Kobo Redux
      Essentially a cleanup of Kobo Deluxe, with Audiality 2, new soundtrack, new graphics etc. Will remain Free/Open Source, and probably also free of charge, with the intention of replacing Kobo Deluxe.
    • Infilterion
      A more proper, more retro Kobo Deluxe/Redux sequel than Kobo II, as in, not a modern twin stick shooter with "HD" graphics! Infilterion is essentially "Kobo, but destroying the bases from inside, using small droids." A crossbreed of Kobo Deluxe, Gauntlet and Paradroid, or something like that.

Oh, and I played around a bit with Emscripten as well:

http://pig.olofson.net/
    (That ancient SDL example of mine; basically just turned the main loop inside out and compiled it into asm.js.)

Naturally, Kobo Redux and Infilterion will run on that, as well as my usual targets; Windows, Linux, OS X, and... pretty much anything else with a C compiler and graphics. ;) (Yes, EEL and Audiality 2 are all FOSS, and the games are ALL script over that - pretty much like Flash applets, or whatever. So, anyone could compile a custom runtime to play the games on.)

Finally, I didn't set any goal for this, but my Twitter accounts have over 9000 and 6000 followers respectively. $DEITY knows how or why that happened... :confused: I hope that can be of some use eventually!

7. Olofson

Original Member

*observes more tumbleweed*

What's happened to this place...? :(

8. Gallacy

Gallacy New Member

...decided to become insanely rich by developing a game, it can't be that hard now, can it???

9. bantamcitygames

10. Dewfreak83

Dewfreak83 New Member

11. bantamcitygames

Thanks for the advice. It used to be mainly a business-focused indie game developer forum, but after the mass exodus (due to spam), most of the business savvy people left and the site lost that focus. I have some ideas in the works, but I have a full time job, wife and two kids and I'm working on a 2D MMO as well so unfortunately this forum doesn't get the love it deserves. You mentioned that you frequent TIGSource as well. May I ask what type of content do you look for at that site? What keeps you going back?

12. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Bit late to this one, looking back at the 2014 thread I did a massive post that can be summed up with:

In 2014 I will... come up with some goals for 2014
    - Fail ;-)

Well technically I did come up with some but didn't post them so I don't think that counts ;-)

13. bantamcitygames

@Nutter2000, the upside is, if you don't have any goals, you can't fail to achieve them! :D

14. Dewfreak83

Dewfreak83 New Member

Well a big part is the devlog I keep. There are many, many developers on tigsource - which translates to many eyes that might also come across my devlog to provide feedback/comments.

I'm always looking for games that are >70% complete or highly realized (they have icons for how complete the devlogs are), or any discussions on I can partake in or learn from: mostly topics on either software design or marketing. This is partly to share and be part of the community, but then I also hope it translates them into checking out my signature and games.

Basically: I keep coming back because of the amount of updates every day and how much interaction actually happens between myself, my devlog, and others on the forum. Partly this has to do with the population on the forums.

15. bantamcitygames

Cool, thanks for the info