In 2013 I will...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Indinera, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Indinera

Indinera
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Indie Author

Someone had to kick it off. (stealing Applewood's last year intro lol)

In 2013 I plan to:
    * Keep doing what I am doing (reasonable, hopefully)
    * Release at least 3 new games
    * Get on Steam (dunno how foolish that is but hey, let's have at least one reckless resolution) and possibly other smaller portals
    * Make more money than 2012 (very haphazard but who doesn't want to improve upon last year?)
    * Try a new game making software, but tbh 2013 might be too early

2012 Aftermath for me:
    * release 4 games (will be a fail if 2012 is like 2011 though) -> 3, so almost a success
    * increase my income -> did that!! 2012 was my second best year after 2010
    Not too shabby overall then.

What are your 2013 resolutions and how did 2012 go? :)
    (old thread: http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?29335-In-2012-I-will....)

#1 Indinera, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Desktop Gaming

Desktop Gaming
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You mean, THIS year? ;)

In 2012 all I wanted to do was get Dr Mal: Practice of Horror released, and I did that with 14 days to spare. Would have been better with a Halloween release but I lost a lot of time early on in the project doing my own artwork, before I decided to get a pro on board.

For 2013...
    Release at least two games for PC and Mac.
    Start work [at least] on a dedicated mobile game.

3. Indinera

Indinera
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Indie Author

Good catch, aha. Also good idea to add a comment about your 2012 resolutions, I'll add mine.

4. Stropp

Stropp
    Expand Collapse

When making resolutions, don't just say you plan too. That always seems to fail. Instead, say how you plan to reach these goals. Even if you don't share the how, it's good to have an idea how you're going to do what you say.

5. Indinera

Indinera
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Indie Author

Some of us do achieve our plans and even when we fail it's usually not black or white, so there is something positive out of it still.

6. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse

Post-mortem on 2012. These were my stated goals:

Get GLWG actually out on Vita
    Publish the sequel to GLWG on at least iOS and Android
    Finish my match-3 game and publish on at least iOS and Android
    Start (and possibly finish) our "next big thing" (to be announced)
    Earn over a million dollars (company wide not just personally)
    Take more vacation time

We finished the Vita port but gave up on it when we passed our third month of Sony induced pointless expense and bureaucracy bollocks. We are so not getting involved with these cowboys again that we removed all the Vita support from our engine. With hindsight this was the correct move.

The GLWG sequel came out and managed a "Mobile Strategy Game of the Year" award from IGN. We also got a budget publisher involved to push the PC version into retail stores (mainly USA) and get us on Steam.

Match-3 game completed and even extended - there's a version on Blackberry Playbook and BB10 ready and coming real soon to WP8 phones.

"Next big thing" started but won't be complete until at least Q2. It's a fantasy fighting game that's part hero academy and part league of legends. Also trying out the freemium/virtual currency model with this.

Earn over a million dollars - very nearly. Sounds more impressive than it is as we have a team of seven now, but things are looking great for trying again this year now.

More vacation time, fail. I took some but no more than usual.

=============================================

Targets for 2013

Release our "next big thing" on iOS, Android, PC, BB10 and WP8. Possibly windows 8/RT too.

Earn over a million dollars

That's it really. If the next big thing fails we'll be scratching about, otherwise doing post-release updates to it for the rest of the year.

7. Indinera

Indinera
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Indie Author

Pocket or company-money?

8. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse

Still just company wide atm, sadly. Maybe next year for my personal balance... :)

9. Indinera

Indinera
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Indie Author

7-figure yearly income is really impressive. I remember the (good ol') days when people on this very forum were writing most devs don't reach 6 figures.

by personal balance, do you mean ever since you started?

10. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse

No, I mean I am to make a million dollars for myself throughout 2014. Not saying I expect to, but that's the aim! :)

A million dollar yearly income for a firm with seven industry pros (with appropriate salary expectations) isn't much better than decent tbh. We've existed comfortably etc., but there are no ferraris in the car park.

11. Indinera

Indinera
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Indie Author

Are you all on equal terms? As in, dividing the money by 7 (more or less, don't want the details, but my question is more if there is someone getting 50% and another one getting just 10%)

7 figures would be great aha but until I get on Steam I don't think this is possible Oo

12. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse

We're all roughly equal, though some are more equal than others. :)

Myself and my biz partner take a slice out each month that's generally a little higher than the salaries of the other guys, but sometimes that's been way lower so it balances. Sometimes nothing at all. If we have a good year, the other guys get a good peck at it via bonuses. (Those other guys are actually hired employees, bar a couple who get a very good contractor percentage).

Don't set too much store by Steam btw. Our GBWG is finally on there but it's not been a road to riches despite review fairly well and fiting the average demographic. It's been worthwhile but not the "OMG wow" it once may have been.

13. bantamcitygames

bantamcitygames
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

In 2012 I will:
    1) Start making money on my MMO

One goal... epic fail (5 hours per week doesn't get you much)

In 2013 I will:
    1) Start making money on my MMO

Same goal but hopefully a little more realistic with the progress I made last year.

14. Jack Norton

Jack Norton
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Yes, too many see Steam as the only way to make money but it can vary a lot based on the kind of game you make. Yours seems much more fitting the mobile audience. That new fantasy fighting one instead could do well there :)

15. Jack Norton

Jack Norton
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

How went last year...
    • Finish at least 4 of the various active projects I am doing (lol is kinda similar to last year, but brought me luck, so... yes) = FAIL, made 2+1 expansion
    • Keep expanding my user base/direct sales, but finally get on iOS/Android. Either with or without Ren'Py = PARTIAL success, at least have many games on Android
    • outsource some coding to external people but pay more attention to who and/or use a 3rd party escrow site. Too many dishonest people around sadly (and this year I've realized it WELL...sigh) = SUCCESS, everyone who paid did their job well
    • Try making a webgame, but NOT code it directly (that was my mistake in past years) = FAIL, had no time
      [*]Ignore the "expert journalists" who don't review/give crap ratings to my games and focus on my fans/niche instead = well, SUCCESS :D
      [*]Don't even bother submitting my games anymore to any portal! if they want my games, they'll ask me, otherwise no problem I can live without them just fine. = SUCCESS :D
    • spend much less time in front of PC unless it's for work (hopefully next year will make it!) = FAIL, because of a shit summer with 35°C even at 800m on sea level, didn't do much :(
    • keep donating to charity through Kiva even in the worst moments (the easiest thing to achieve, but good) = SUCCESS, I've over 99 loans there now

My 2013 goals are simple:
    • finish a new RPG
    • finish a new dating sim
    • have at least one game ported to Monkeycoder by external coder and submit to iOS to see if there's any hope or better give up on that platform
    • TAKE A BREAK !

16. Indinera

Indinera
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Indie Author

Aren't you forgetting "change country"? Oo

17. MFS

MFS
    Expand Collapse

From 2012
    1. Release our 'small OIP' game. (Delver's Mark) - Fail. On indefinite hold.
    2. Release our 'big OIP' game. (Delver's Drop) - Fail. Still going at it. Months from release still, but so far so good.
    3. Grow the company but become comfortably profitable in the process. - Fail. Added a guy, lost a guy. Razer thin profitable but in general, most of the year was at least comfortable.

Obviously way too much red above and not enough green, but 2012 was actually fairly decent. One of our contract projects moved a million units, but sadly we'd no cut on the back-end. Still a nice milestone to me though.

For 2013
    1. Finish Delver's Drop
    2. Take on only small contract work - no more several month ordeals.
    3. Have a proper vacation :)

18. Nutter2000

Nutter2000
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member Indie Author

My 2012 Post Mortem
    In 2012 I will....
    1. Enjoy spending time with my wife, son and our new baby (release date: April )
    2. Finish off our AOW reboot web game
    3. Earn £100k+ passive income to support my game development habit
    4. Begin development on the next phase of our AOW reboot
    5. Get some sleep (optional)

2012 turned out to be more personal success than professional so not a total loss but still annoying.

1. Success! We had a baby girl (Caitlin) on May 4th! So the release date slippage was forgiven for being a Star Wars baby ;)
    2. Fail. Battled against time constraints but eventually put it on temporary hold.
    3. Fail. SEO and Google was to be a big part of this, unfortunately Google decided 2012 was the year to go on a rampage.
    4. Fail. See 2. (No precipitation).
    5. Mixed Success. Caitlin turned out to be a pretty good sleeper so managed a reasonable amount of sleep and certainly more than Baby version 1.0 (Alex).

My biggest problem last year was simply a lack of time.
    I'm in a bit of a hole having had to take a new full time job at the end of 2011 which turns out I utterly hate and I barely get to do any decent coding there.
    Unfortunately, with a young family your free time tends to disappear and you're just exhausted all the time so digging myself out of the hole is a lot harder than I hoped.

However, that being said....

In 2013 I will....

1. Release multiple quick, simple games on iOS/Android/WP8 and others for a quick ROI.
    2. Earn enough to support myself and family to quit aforementioned hated job.
    3. Redevelop Ferion for responsive web design and mobile, do design work, work on better monetisation then hire someone (cheap) to do the actual work!
    4. By the end of the year, begin work on better, more impressive games such as the AOW reboot.

19. lennard

lennard
    Expand Collapse

Release WWII - Europe single player game in the Endless Empires game series.

Improve Dungeon Demon.

Next version of Real Estate Empire on web, desktop and tablet.

Ready, set, go! GL all.

20. Bram

Bram
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author Greenlit

The goals I set last year:

Add support for this awesome input device to the little crane that could for MacOSX.
    SUCCESS

Maintain my 2011 income (had a very good year).
    BIGGER SUCCESS

Release my first Android Game.
    SUCCESS

Release an update for Hover Biker.
    SUCCESS

New level for the little crane that could iOS version.
    SUCCESS

Port the little crane that could to Android.
    SUCCESS

Attend GDC.
    SUCCESS

It is amazing, but I hit all my goals. Maybe it is true what they say about: writing down goals make them come true. Although I did cheat a tiny bit: 'Port Little Crane to Android' and 'Publish Android Game' were originally intended to be separate games, but meh.

For 2013 I will:

Publish an OUYA game.

Hit 30K OUYA downloads.

Hit 10M downloads (cumulative over all platforms, all years) for Little Crane That Could.

Maintain 2012 income.

Reach 750 followers on Twitter.

Publish my first multiplayer game.