In 2012 I will....

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Applewood, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Simon Tomlin

Simon Tomlin New Member

1) Finally release my online strategy wargame, at least something playable - even an early alpha.

If it does not get off the ground this year then I fear it will forever be a most tiring subject I bore people with.

2. plasticcow

plasticcow New Member

1. Release Ninja Pig to iOS.
    2. Make a multiplatform game using unity.
    3. Stop treating my business like a hobby.
    4. Do less contract work or Earn enough from my own stuff to allow me to stop contract work altogether.
    5. Play less Call of Duty

3. wazoo

Original Member

reverse the boat, and start scrambling up the same hill y'all are on.

okay that's too vague:

1. ship

4. PasiP

PasiP New Member

1. Be more active here in the great forums of Indiegamer
    2. Make a living of composing music to games

5. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

* get some sleep

6. Olofson

Original Member

Bah. I'll sleep when I'm non-broke or dead - so it comes down to one of those happening in 2012. ;)

7. Lumberjack Studio

Lumberjack Studio New Member

----------

----------

#47 Lumberjack Studio, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  8. mduffor

mduffor New Member

I'll throw my hat into the ring as well.

Goals for 2012:
    * Lose my full-time job in March... done!
    * Panic (somewhat)
    * Develop and release a toy/game for Android and iOS
    * Develop and release a physics based game in 3-4 months.
    * Attempt to get a third game well under way before the year's end.

Let's see if I can make a living as an indie! Wheee...

Cheers,
    Michael

9. USOApps

USOApps New Member

My plan is:
    - to improve my professional skills;
    - to release at least 2 new games!
    - having fun:D

10. inlovewithGod

inlovewithGod New Member

Actually finish a software project!

11. Uhfgood

Original Member

Work on a small "prequel" adventure game then get funded via 8-bit funding in order to finish it properly, then use that to start a kick starter project for my big game.

12. lakibuk

Indie Author

Release my new gaming website at last.

13. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

Heads up: two thirds of 2012 gone already!

So... is everybody still on track?
    Only four more months left to hit those goals, my indie friends!
    You can do it!

Also: I'm a bit sad that this forum is slowly dying.
    I'm subscribed to the RSS feed for new threads, but that mainly shows spam.

I look forward to seeing (hopefully happy) indie reports in 2013!
    I find that these kind of threads give a fascinating look into the trials and tribulations of indies.

Bram

14. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I'm so not on track... damn it... another year working 5 hours/week on an MMO which may never see the light of day. Here's to next year! :)

15. Olofson

Original Member

Well, I ran out of steam for a while there, and contract work has been stealing some of my time and focus - but, I'm alive, I'm not totally broke, and I'm still officially running a business! :)

More specifically;
    1. Add more fun and do more marketing for Kobo II, to hopefully sell more than symbolic numbers to mostly Kobo Deluxe fans.
    2. Actually make some money, one way or another. More contract work, most likely.
    3. Get a proper toolchain for ZeeSpace going, for less work, better results and smaller downloads.
    4. Find or write(!) a simple but effective Linux MIDI sequencer that doesn't crash all the time, or just frustrate me to no end. The state of these things is just ridiculous...
    5. And, well... I dunno? Anything fun I can come up with, that might make some money, directly or indirectly.

1 and 4: I don't remember what state Kobo II was in at the time, but although still very basic, it has the beginnings of two game modes, some proper music (that I coded right in ChipSound - who needs a sequencer!? :D) and stuff - and a bunch of licenses have been sold, actually.

2: Check! Did some contract work. Need to do more, though I'd rather work more on my own stuff - but it pays my bills for now!

3: Well, didn't get far on that one, but I did get some other much needed engine work done. All in all though, Kobo II, the way I envision it, was just the wrong game to do first. I've been avoiding some issues by drawing graphics in GIMP the traditional way, but it's way too much work and takes too much space with the "HD" quality I want. However, I'm working on a hybrid approach, relying much more on "2D models" (objects composed of multiple sprites/billboards) and less on ZeeSpace, so I think I've got that situation under control now. It'll still look very nice and detailed, but the fully scalable razor sharp pseudo-photorealism will have to wait for another game.

Either way, I might actually delay Kobo II for a bit and finish another, much smaller project, based on the same engine. Incidentally, that project might actually appeal more to the (mostly retro gamer) Kobo Deluxe fans than the modern dual stick shooter that is Kobo II - and I'm planning on giving that one for free to those who have pre-purchased Kobo II. (Not that I ever committed to an official release date for Kobo II, but anyway...)

5: Got some stuff going on... Kobo Deluxe (which is now also on Roozz) is going to get a long overdue update, possibly with a bit of music from the new ChipSound engine (from Kobo II) - and there is that other little project I mentioned.

It's going to be a busy four months...! :eek:

Yeah, that's a bit depressing... Indie game development seems to be a bigger thing than ever - and still, everyone seems to be giving up on this place. What's the deal with that?

Well, I'm not giving up just yet anyway - not on game development, nor this forum! :cool:

16. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Ah... yeah, about that.

Actually none of the 3 I listed so far... meanwhile, piled a load of additional goals on the top just to make things all the harder.

:(

17. Musenik

Original Member

7 Grand Steps will not quite make 2012. It will ship in January. The game is essentially complete, but QA has been a problem. GETTING QA people has been the problem. Now I've got some, and the game is in relatively good shape. It could ship in Late Nov. or Dec. but I don't like to ship a big game in the crossedmyths season. A couple extra months should make the game shine. I may even have enough money. I'm flat broke, ATM, but there's a ship about to sail towards me, a small ship, but just enough.

18. Nexic

Indie Author

Looks like I'm gonna fail all of my goals for this year. Next time I might make them slightly more realistic.

19. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I only have two goals for this year and I'm about a month away from achieving both. But since posting them on here seems to be a curse (as most people don't get there), I'm still keeping them to myself.

20. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Yeah me too, I've managed my first goal (spending more time with my family) but totally failed everywhere else.

I'm starting to come to the same conclusion as you Dave, there seems to be the curse of the indie gamer forums either that or we're all stupidly unrealistic :(