In 2012 I will....

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Applewood, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Well, I'm sure this will change by the end of 2012, but what the heck ;-)

1. Release 4 downloadable games - knowing that first one will be released in January, and second one by Feb/March doesn't make it very challenging goal ;-)
    2. Release 4 iOS/Android games (ports of existing content, but still takes time) - as above - I should have 2 games released in the first quater
    3. Play more games

Hopefully this will let me double my income :)

(Secret goal: limit my wife's spending habits ;-) )

2. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Don't you know that the more you earn, the more the wife spending is increasing!!! It's a law of nature, I stop fithing this many years ago 8)

JC

3. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

In 2012 I will....

• Enjoy spending time with my wife, son and our new baby (release date: April ;))
    • Finish off our AOW reboot web game
    • Earn £100k+ passive income to support my game development habit
    • Begin development on the next phase of our AOW reboot
    • Get some sleep (optional)

4. LiquidShock

LiquidShock New Member

Next year I will:

1. release Exodus:2158 on XBox live - late Jan, early Feb (release second game after DBP)
    2. enter Dream.Build.Play
    3. release Zone of Avoidance - scheduled for Dec
    4. start working on next years (2013) projects

5. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Such a nasty habit, isn't it?

6. Musenik

Original Member

I wash my hands afterwards. Helps.

7. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

My goals for this year:

Ship alpha "pathfinder" build of EverSky,
    Ship alpha "Damzel" build of EverSky and start accepting money for it (through whatever form).
    Make enough from continuing development to pay for an artist to add content.

Personal:
    Continue my research and write a few more academic papers on Digital Actors

8. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

It's so addictive it should be illegal ;)

9. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

In 2012 I will:
    1) Start making money on my MMO

10. SteveZ

Indie Author

1. Build a studio of 30 people
    2. Release 5 new games, on desktop and pc platform
    3. Become hands off, and train next set of designers to take my place
    4. Sip a corona on a sunny day while relaxing on a beach, just like that damn commercial

11. Olofson

Original Member

Oh, it's that time again...! :) Well...

1. Add more fun and do more marketing for Kobo II, to hopefully sell more than symbolic numbers to mostly Kobo Deluxe fans.
    2. Actually make some money, one way or another. More contract work, most likely.
    3. Get a proper toolchain for ZeeSpace going, for less work, better results and smaller downloads.
    4. Find or write(!) a simple but effective Linux MIDI sequencer that doesn't crash all the time, or just frustrate me to no end. The state of these things is just ridiculous...
    5. And, well... I dunno? Anything fun I can come up with, that might make some money, directly or indirectly. ;)

12. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

I suspect this may be a dumb question, but I wonder what a 'downloadable game' is.
    I once got this job interview question asking what special considerations to use for 'downloadable' games.

Today, many games are downloaded (PSN, iOS, Android, from the author's website, etc).
    Are these all in the 'downloadable games' category, or does 'downloadable game' suggest a specific type?
    It's not flash games, is it?
    Or is it all games that are not bought in a carton box?

thx,

bram

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

@Bram: On this forum at least it means PC/Mac and Linux downloads. Sure XBLIG, XBLA, PSN, WiiWare are all downloads too but not many people here are making those. And "downloadable" meant PC/Mac/Linux before those platforms even existed. There used to be 2 main types of downloadable: Casual (via casual portal), and Indie (used to be called shareware) sold on people's direct sites. Now there are places like Steam, Desura and more selling downloadable indie games too but they didn't exist when I started (2005) otherwise I may have actually finished my Iron Fist game instead of moving into casual as a more viable business model.

14. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Hmm, this is heading the way of the religious argument over what an indie is. And like that one I don't see how or even why there needs to be some interpretation here.

If you got your game digitally over the internet, it's a downloadable game. If you bought it in a box from a shop then you didn't download it, ergo it's not a downloadable. And that applies to any platform you care to name.

In short, yes.

There might well be a third option emerging in the shape of that playable video streaming thing, but I still don't see that catching on just yet.

#34 Applewood, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  15. electronicStar

Original Member

On this board, I have seen the term "downloadable" used more specifically in opposition to "online" games (MMOs, browser games, etc...)

16. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Oh on this board it seems definitions mean whatever the hell people want them to... :)

How an MMO plays isn't relevant, it's how you install it. If it runs in a browser it's a browser game. (ok, I forgot to include those even though I have one out myself). If you need to download it to begin, it's a downloadable.

I think the real problem here is the feeling that everything needs to be classified exactly when it really doesn't. Calling something an "internet connected partially downloadable online middle core game" doesn't exactly help anyone.

#36 Applewood, Dec 22, 2011
  17. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

When I wrote downloadable I meant PC/Mac/Linux download and install programs :D

We're hijacking this thread, let's get back to topic.

18. chanon

Indie Author

In 2010 I learned that trying to do too many projects at the same time isn't good / better to focus on fewer and make them great. In 2011 I kind of learned the same lesson again. So in 2012 I have only 3 goals.

1. (Same as 2011 goal) Release our first Facebook game, get a good DAU and keep supporting it so that it pays all the company expenses (and then some) for a good long while - making a name for us in the Facebook games biz and becoming the first base for cross promotion for our future Facebook games.

2. Complete the casual downloadable game that we are working on with a publisher. (Same as 2011 goal but it's a different game.)

3. Begin work on our next big thing whatever that might be and reach successful prototype stage. (Could be another Facebook game, could be a freemium iPhone game, could be a sequel to one of our casual downloadable games, or could be more than 1 of these or something else entirely.) Bonus points for reaching beta stage or actually completing it or making progress on more than 1 new project.

#38 chanon, Dec 22, 2011
  19. Bad Sector

Original Member

1. Make my 3D world editor usable, especially by people other than me.
    1.1. Resist the urge to rewrite it from scratch for the 1093th time because that line over there is off by half a pixel :p (nah, that won't happen)
    2. Finally begin coding "that game"...
    3. Learn the secrets of sound
    4. Make money
    5. Learn iOS development
    6. Learn Molehill development
    7. Try to not lose the domain again...
    8. Get a brand new PC
    9. Avoid stress

20. Chris England

Chris England New Member

This year I hit two of my three targets, but not the most important one. So, this is what I want 2012 to hold:

1) Finish and release Xenonauts.
    2) Make a million dollars.
    3) Go to the damn gym and put a bit of muscle on.