In 2011 I will...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by SteveZ, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Chris England

Chris England New Member

I didn't have any goals last year: this time last year I had only just taken my first steps into producing my first indie game - we had a program that displayed isometric tiles. That was it. So compared to that, this year has been a massive success in terms of progress made, even if I did originally hope to have the game finished for around about now (naivety).

My aims for this year are:
    1) Finish and release Xenonauts
    2) Take a holiday
    3) Quit my day job, and either become a full time indie or find a new job in something that doesn't involve spreadsheets.

We'll see how #3 turns out :)

2. j.klugmann

j.klugmann New Member

1) Finishing my second commercial game.
    2) Finishing the core components of my engine for Linux, MacOSX and Windows.
    3) Releasing the first beta of my engine in October 2011.
    4) Doing some contract programming
    5) Doing an gamedev-related internship for 6 weeks(maximum)
    6) Go to school. ;)

3. MrPhil

Original Member

My modest 2011 goals:
    • Put together a portfolio website - Done
    • Build XNA pipeline importer for Photoshop/PSD Oh, nevermind already been done
    • Get a tech demo of Iron Roads finished
    • Support Xenonauts getting published

#63 MrPhil, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  4. JGOware

Indie Author

By 2013 I want to be out of the video game field. It's very much a younger man's game now days.

5. MrMandrill

MrMandrill New Member

That's kind of sad, actually.:( Not inaccurate, mind. I've thought the same myself more than once. Still sad...

6. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I can't imagine not making games anymore. Might have to go in for a retrofit on the blinkies at some point and some reno's on the back might be in order... but I can't imagine just hanging it up and going completely cold turkey.

Jennifer was talking about retirement planning the other day (I'm 44, my child bride is 41) and how and where we want to spend our time. I want to grow more than I do now and I want more vacations... but otherwise, I can't imagine not making games. I might go nuts.

7. dannthr

dannthr New Member

I feel the same way, Lennard, though I'm just one year short of 29, so hard to say how I'll feel in 20 or so years.

I'm sure the game industry will be a completely different animal by then.

But so far, I don't feel like this is the kind of work you retire from...

8. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Even as much as a year ago I'd have said the same thing.

I'm 33 this year and have been in this biz since uni, first in full time AAA game dev then almost 8 years struggling with indie game dev while surviving with game contract work that barely pays.

I have to admit I'm feeling pretty much burnt out and lately have been seriously considering just giving up completely :(

Iain

9. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

* release 6 games (slightly difficult although I did it in 2009)
    * try to maintain or increase the yearly profit

it's a bit sad for ppl who want to retire, but i understand the feeling... good luck for everyone.

10. andrew

andrew New Member

I know at least one person who made it to 60 in the game biz (his last project was Epic Mickey), so I have hope that it's possible to have some sort of a long career in this business!

- andrew

p.s. Happy New Year, everyone!

11. BigB

BigB New Member

- Release my strategy game in 2011, and hope it's a huge sucess :)
    - Release other work in progress titles that are work in progress for much longer than they should.

And Happy new year to everyone at Indiegamers

12. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

My plans are always fluid, as long as I can earn enough money to support the family for the 12 months anything goes.

In 2010 I planned much :

• Bring our new baby into the world
    • Work with at least 3 new business startups and become a shareholder in each
    • Finally launch the Facebook game!!!
    I actually took 5 months off work after "Jess" was born - nothing like seeing your kid become a person, infact it's priceless! Managed to help 2 startups and got really good equity deals in each case. The Facebook game is still not in public release...

For 2011,

• Do some more startup/equity deals - as many as I can snag!!
    • Launch the FB game and make it self sufficient.
    • Make a new baby and prepare the finances to take another 5 months off :)

13. cyodine

Original Member

Finish, market, and support Wonder Golf. I'm almost to the point of publicly revealing it, perhaps selling alpha versions. Depending on sales, I might cross-platform port (already written in SDL) and / or develop expansion content (i.e. make my custom editor publicly usable). Since this would be my first title, I can't be certain how much time the post-release will gobble up.

Finish a puzzle game for which I've already developed a prototype.

Further design/develop a couple simulation games I've being toying with, possibly to the level of prototypes.

14. lakibuk

Indie Author

1. Release another game related website.
    2. Port one of my freeware games to Mac.

15. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Well at last the first part of that task is going to be fun. Good luck!

16. Stefan Maton

Original Member

Last year was quite a challenge because so much things happened. Aside buying a second house and doing A LOT of renovation works in it (spend almost 40k€ in October for a new roofing, insulation, new heating system etc), I finished a contract in October (too), worked on 2 game prototypes (one multiplayer only and one Jump&Run), turned down 3 contract offers, signed one new contract and negotiated another one successfully (which should be signed in a couple of days)... And I managed to keep my yearly income on the same level than last year.

Soooo... what is in for this year?!?

- Recover from my Archilles' tendon injury I just had last Friday evening (while playing basketball)
    - Manage to participate on the Belgian basketball supporter tournament in June.
    - Finish the renovation of my new office upstairs.
    - Chop down another ~100 trees on my estate.
    - Finish and release "Insane Robots" (my Jump&Run)
    - Do the contract jobs and maintain my income on the same level than last year.
    - Attend the 4th Paris Game/AI Conference (could not make it to last years' one).
    - Try to work less :)

Have fun,
    Stefan

17. TimS

Original Member

Last year I didn't do so well (per my stated goals, 1 for 5)...

but this!:

1) - I will take the #1 slot on BigFishGames.com (barring any unexpected MCF releases...)

2) - I'll see my first release on iPhone and iPad (through no effort of my own, but still cool).

3) - I'll buy a copy of my first game off of a retail shelf for the first time (as a child of the 80s growing up buying PC games off the shelves, this one is a big deal for me!)

4) - I will attend Casual Connect in Seattle, and make it worthwhile.

5) - I'll get the company website in order.

6) - I'll get SOME experimental side project going.