In 2011 I did...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Jack Norton, Dec 16, 2011.

1. chanon

Indie Author

Been away from these forums for a while.

Here were my goals and results:

Complete the casual downloadable game that we are working on with a publisher
    SUCCESS - Shop-N-Spree 2 was released, reached top 10 on BFG and got a great 4.5 stars review on Gamezebo

Release our first Facebook game, get a good DAU and keep supporting it so that it pays all the company expenses (and then some) for a good long while - making a name for us in the Facebook games biz and becoming the first base for cross promotion for our future Facebook games
    FAILED (STILL IN PROGRESS) - Still working on the game. It is looking great now but still more work to do.

Release an update for UltraDeep that will (hopefully) boost in-app monetization a lot further (it did pretty well during the time we had the free promotion)
    PARTLY - Did release it and it did boost monetization, but just by a small bit.

Continue to release more Facebook and iPhone games (some of which we started but dropped for now) with a bigger emphasis on freemium iPhone games possibly tying into our Facebook games.
    FAILED (STILL IN PROGRESS) - Didn't release anything more yet.

Bonus!
    We put First Class Flurry on the Mac App Store and it got a big feature by Apple in the Mac App Store. The game reached #5 games in the US Chart.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately this lasted only a week and then Lion came out and they changed all the featured games/apps. But it still gave us a nice unexpected income boost.

So in some ways was a good year, but overall hoping for a better 2012.

2. Chris England

Chris England New Member

Good post, this is. I went back to look at what my goals were. Here's how they went:

1) Finish and release Xenonauts - FAIL. It's come a long way, but it's not finished. It's technically released in the sense we're selling pre-orders for it and getting a good income from that, but it's definitely not finished. One for this year.

2) Take a holiday - SUCCESS! I'm on holiday in South Africa now, which is nice. I also went to Istanbul and the US (twice) this year so I think I've achieved this. It's been great to get away from it all. Being an indie is stressful...

3) Quit my day job, and either become a full time indie or find a new job in something that doesn't involve spreadsheets - SUCCESS! I was on a three year training contract which expired in September and I quit the day I qualified. I'm now full-time on Xenonauts and intend to continue. This is probably what I'm proudest of this year,

Overall, it's been a decent year but I didn't hit the biggest milestone I wanted. I'm hoping for a better 2012!

3. TimS

Original Member

Another year... how'd we do?

1) - I will take the #1 slot on BigFishGames.com (barring any unexpected MCF releases...) Nope. Didn't even finish the game. Cripes, these games take forever.

2) - I'll see my first release on iPhone and iPad (through no effort of my own, but still cool). Win! Even broke into the top ten grossing iPad games... Of course, I didn't handle the port, so... yeah.

3) - I'll buy a copy of my first game off of a retail shelf for the first time (as a child of the 80s growing up buying PC games off the shelves, this one is a big deal for me!) Done... sort of. Had to get it on eBay, since it was UK only... but retail mini-landmark achieved.

4) - I will attend Casual Connect in Seattle, and make it worthwhile. Success, here. Some of this conference was silly... but other parts of it involved singing 'Cold Water' with 'Salad Fingers'... that can only be counted as a win.

5) - I'll get the company website in order. Bwahahah... no. Epic, epic fail. I didn't even look at it all year. Anyone know a web designer?

6) - I'll get SOME experimental side project going. Fail on this one, too. No time! No money!

To another year... and better organization this time around!

Also... 'grats to Steve on that office! :eek: That's like... just wow. Nicely done, and well deserved.

4. Grey Alien

Indie Author

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Wow, you had really a terrible year! I'm sorry, I had a bad one too but yours seems even worse. Hopefully 2012 will be a better year for all of us, in particular from the family/health point of view which is more important than money/success for sure!

6. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Lol, yep there were some pretty bad points, but you know, I was indie again, I saw my kids more, I sat in the sun more, I made some great friends, so it wasn't so bad. Sorry to hear yours wasn't so great either. This year really drilled home the importance of health, family and the little things in life as you've mentioned. But yeah, hoping 2012 is better for all of us!

7. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Yep, this is a million time more important than releasing a game on time or earning loads of money.

JC

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Definitely. I was sad because 2010 was really bad for games sales (made less than half money of this year!), but thinking back about it I was much happier then, since I still had all pets/family members.

9. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I lost my dad in 2010. Was there for him at the end but realised that I hadn't seen him enough before that. It felt like a chapter had ended in my life that I can never go back to. These sort of things make you ponder how important your work is and what you'll thing about this work-related thing or another in 5/10/30 years.

10. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Agree 100%. My mum is in her 60's now (and had cancer in 2005), and my dad is 71 and has heart problems. I live 75 miles away from them and make an effort to visit at least once a month, and call them two or three times a week. Ultimately when the shit hits the fan I won't have any regrets. My brother on the other hand, lives 7 miles from them and doesn't even speak to them for months on end sometimes, unless he wants something - don't even get me started on the Christmas present he gave them this year.

Some people don't appreciate what they've got until it's too late.

[edit] Not that I'm suggesting you didn't appreciate your dad.... just that people think they've got forever, and they don't.

11. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Sorry for your loss, point well made.

12. EdMace

EdMace New Member

My current website is a Google freebie and temporary. Putting lots of energy and time into getting a slick website developed that will showcase much of what I've done in the gaming industry via audio and video examples.This started in 2011 and site completion is carrying over and expected to be done sometime in February 2012. Never realized how much goes into having a site built.Content decisions,layout and subjects I never dreamed of before thanks to the site designer.Work,work,work. I'm definitely not getting any younger. Very looking forward to the site going live!

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

@Desktop Gaming Yeah don't worry I get the point. It's good you are around for them. My problem was I was 5000 miles away in Canada. The thing is I had considered going back to visit him but was too busy working on a Facebook game at Big Fish Games plus I didn't have much vacation time. That game isn't even live on Facebook any more, so in the scheme of things, it's irrelevant, whereas my regrets live on...