In 2011 I did...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Jack Norton, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

After some of us posted the goals for 2011 in this other thread called "In 2011 I will...":
    http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?23565-In-2011-I-will...
    I thought was nice to see how it went. For me:
    • Finish at least 4 of the various active projects I am doing (many of them with help of external people). = SUCCESS! I even released 5 games :)
    • finish my current RPG and re-use the engine to release at least 2 more RPGs = I finished the RPG (Planet Stronghold) but I have yet to finish another RPG. Discovered that RPG takes A LOT of time to make!! I failed, but PS was quite successful even if of course was ignored by the press/portals as always.
    • make a time-management game and have it on all portals (kind of an experiment this one) = FAILURE, I didn't had enough time/motivation to try
    • Try making a webgame (maybe this year will be the right time). Not a social game but a full MMO. = FAILURE, I didn't had enough time to try
    • Finish my first full 3d game (again, with help of skilled external people) and get it on Steam! (this will be the hardest task for sure) = FAILURE, the Unity coder disappeared in June :(
    • ignore the mac appstore and focus on linux market = SUCCESS (well, that was easy!)
    • spend much less time in front of PC unless it's for work = FAILURE, for family-related issues didn't go on holiday and I worked more than any other year since I was indie
    • keep donating to charity through Kiva even in the worst moments = SUCCESS, was able to donate even more than in 2010!
    It was a mixed year. Good from business point of view, but terrible for family/pets (had many deaths). I hope 2012 will be better honestly...!

2. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Well I FAILED on all fronts :(

MY contract work completely dried up and in the end I've had to take a job doing XQuery for a chemical database company :(
    Epic Fail :(

Iain

3. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

My only goal for 2011 was to finish Crime Solitaire, which I did. I also managed a bunch of unforeseen extras to that, including nine localised versions all of which were released in November, plus a port of the English version to iOS. Including the Mac version, that's 12 SKUs in a single year which I'm quite proud of.

This might seem a bit "yeah, so what?" to most. But Crime Solitaire has done really well for me and has achieved a level of success that I've waited 25 years for. It outsold Magicville twice over in it's first week alone and has already exceeded the revenue generated by all the PC games I've written between 2000-2007.

For 2012 I'd quite like to make the terrifying/suicidal leap from casual games to being completely independent.

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

1) Fail (still in progress and aiming for PAX East, April 2012)
    2) Success!
    3) Succ--- err... DAMN!

For 2012 I only have one goal:
    1) Start making money with my MMO

5. Olofson

Original Member

Too little too late, IMHO, but technically, DONE!

No conclusion on that, as the release was just the other week.

FAIL! Haven't gotten around to that yet. I really should do that ASAP, though. I have somewhere between 150 and 200k downloads on that game (I have no control over how it's distributed, as it's all Free/Open Source), so there has to be at least a tiny bit of marketing potential in there, right...?

Well, either way, I'll be releasing the full "engine source" (more like a scripting engine + various wrappers and small libs) for Kobo II within a few hours. (Will be using that for LD22.)

FAIL , obviously. Although I've made a bunch of sales, I'm just barely getting started. Did make some money on other stuff, but I've actually tried to stay away from that, focusing on the game.

6. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Fail. :(

One of my worst years since starting my freelance business in 2008--ended up taking an instructor position at a recording arts school in LA to teach Video Game Sound Design. Love the job, but I would've liked more flourish from my contract business.

7. Applewood

I utterly failed. I put:

"I'm going to continue working too hard for too little."

What I actually did (along with two workmates):

Finished GLWG, launched it on iOS, got featured, made a bundle

Launched GLWG on Android. Got featured a couple of times, made a bundle

Launched Yachty Deluxe for both platforms. Jury is out on profit

Finished coding GLWG for PS Vita, Chrome, PC

Nearly completed a match-3 game for iOS and Android

Almost finished coding GLWG sequel for Vita, PC, iOS and Android.

Got fucked by a client for £40,000. I'm looking at you Asylum Entertainment, UK. Ltd. (Now phoenixed as something similarly named with the same logo but no longer oweing people £800,000+. You've been warned)

The above finally made us go indie only forever.

I daren't speculate on next year.

8. lennard

Finish Dungeon Brawl. Complete commercial failure, still like the game

Release version 1.1 of Dungeon Demon And version 1.2

Finish the first four maps of Endless Empires, release them, listen to feedback, build and release more maps. Did not complete, will come back to at some unforeseen date in the future, see below

Probably the other thing is Real Estate Empire 3 but don't hold me to that. First playable announcement coming soon!

Last Spring I realized that I was spreading myself too thin and not taking care of/supporting my released products to the level that I would like. Primarily, I found any requests for product support to be a necessary evil because I was already on to the next product. My new motto is do less better and, by about October of this year, I was finally feeling a lot less scattered. Jury is out on profitability of this new scheme but hope springs eternal. I kind of think of it as more like working on an MMO where my releases will be followed by continuing support and content. The one bit of solid good news is that since that decision, folks referencing a released product, like Dungeon Demon, now don't stress me out because it doesn't mean getting sucked back into a completed project, it means somebody wants to talk about one of my on going franchises.

Happy Holidays to all, even those whom I have pissed off this year.

9. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

* release 6 games (slightly difficult although I did it in 2009) -> utter fail, released only 2 - then again, i got very lazy this year
    * try to maintain or increase the yearly profit -> it went down about 30% but that's not too bad considering the above pt - would have increased it easily if pt 1 had not been such a fail lol

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Here's mine. Loads of stuff happened to totally alter this plan:

1) Have great fun making Indie games for the entire year. FAILED. Haven't made a single "indie" game. Made a casual game and some free games, did a bunch of ports of my older IP and started work on a big project. I'm OK with how it turned out though.

2) Do some design consultancy for backend royalties. (contact me if you are interested) PART SUCCESS. Most of this is still in the pipeline and due in 2012.

3) Make at least $100K (I’ll aim relatively low for my first year back in the driving seat). FAILED. Earned about $85K. Problem is about $15K is from renting out my UK house and goes straight to the back as a mortgage repayment, so it's more like $71K, and other earnings are gross revenue (before cost of making games/running business and tax). A small amount of that money is from my last month at BFG. Plus I lost money on the stock market.

4) Build up the Vancouver Indie Meetup into something even more awesome. SUCCESS! At last a success. This group has been awesome this year for sure.

5) Finish my Toastmasters CC manual (4 speeches to go) – I took a break when things got crazy earlier in the year. FAILED. Didn't even go back for a variety of reasons.

6) Keep fit and beat my Grouse Grind time of 56 mins. PART SUCCESS. Didn't do the Grouse Grind at all, but did do lots of walking and stayed fit and ate healthy in the Spring/Summer/Fall

7) Go to Hawaii FAILED. Just didn't have the cash plus my wife got really ill for months, which is one reason why many things this year failed. Did go to England for my sister's wedding though.

8 ) Have an awesome Spring/Summer with my family in Vancouver and go on some roadtrips. PART SUCCESS. Hmm. I did enjoy parts the summer because I was indie and on my own schedule so could go outside when it was sunny, but we didn't go and do many things because my wife was super ill as I mentioned above. I also got depressed/burned out (bunch of reasons I'll go into in year end blog post) and didn't do any work for months. This was very weird for me. We did go on one epic 2200km roadtrip in BC at the end of the summer though!

9) Move back to the UK and have some money in the bank when I arrive. FAILED. A friend offered to help me get residency here, which I thought I had no chance of getting as an indie. So currently my work permit is extended and the residency thing is going ahead. There's still no money in the bank though. That should change in 2012 though! So although I failed to go back to England, I don't mind at all because there's lots going on for me right now here in Vancouver.

So in summary, uh lots of failures. Really not my best year for a bunch of reasons, although it did start well and has ended well. However things are lining up for a great 2012!

11. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Hmm now I'm thinking my goal needs to be a reverse goal like Applewood's. Sorta like: I will fail to ship any games and won't make anything near $500K.

12. Nutter2000

Lol! I was thinking along those lines too.
    Separate 2012 thread needed though!

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Agreed, new thread. Why don't you start it? I'll post mine in a week or so. Normally do it after Christmas. I have my reserved most lofty goals for 2012.

14. Jack Norton

Indie Author

You need a break sometimes! I don't think next year I'll release as many games as this year as well :D

15. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

I'm not sure what caused it. Maybe the lack of a big project this year, like Laxius Force was last year. A smaller challenge means also a smaller motivation (maybe). And I slacked around much more because I wanted to see movies, listen to music, go out etc.

16. lakibuk

Indie Author

1. Release another game related website. still not done
    2. Port one of my freeware games to Mac. nope
    Ouch, nothing finished.

17. electronicStar

Original Member

-release a game that is not ad-based Fail,had to deal with irl problems such as divorce and then spent my time "testing" a lot of different game engines
    -make at least $20 in actual game revenue :D "Success" lol , still not much though
    -have better sleeping schedules crushing failure

18. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

This year I:

• Got on board as CTO with an AI-based startup, made a demo of the product, got VC funding for the next round of development. Then stepped back a bit as I really wasn't that interested in working on a "product" as much I thought (I prefer the R&D aspect it turns out).
    • Became indie again and decided to continue development of my game Damzel. Which is now going to be named EverSky (I think).
    • Got past my R1 docs for my PhD. So I'm still continuing with my research for it.
    • Learnt 3D art to the point where I'm pretty comfortable with modelling and texturing and sculpting stuff. Still wouldn't call myself an artist, but I can at least critique others :)

Plans for this year are to continue development on EverSky to the point where I'm ok to release the "pathfinder" build. Which is what you might normally call alpha, but for design reasons requires some courageous adventurers to test out the "generate as you explore" systems.

19. Nexic

Indie Author

I can't remember what my goals for 2011 were, since I deleted them. But I think they included things like:

1. Make $10m
    2. Make another MMO
    3. Work out more seriously and add X lbs of muscle etc

I failed at all of those things. But I *did* manage to double my profits overall from 2010 so not all bad news :)

20. SLotman

Well, my goals:

1) Finish my Mahjong game, and hope it sells. SUCCESS: Finished on time, and the game has been published. Doing OK (nothing stellar), but still better than all my other games combined!

2) Get into university, and finally getting a degree. SUCCESS: next year I'll be in class, on top of working and making games!

3) Finish a game prototype I have in Flash. FAIL: barely touched it, but still, some progress was made

4) Make some decent money. SUCCESS: as I said, Mahjong Max (and other games I put on the Mac App Store) are selling, so at least I've got something to show - won't be full time indie yet, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

So, apart from some serious illness in the family, and some scares we had to went through, it was actually a good year for me :)

5) Last minute goal (hehehe): The oportunity to make a game fair (in Jan-2012), only with brazilian games presented itself, and I took it... had to edit the post: the event is happening, and attracting a lot of attention! For those who speak portuguese, you can view it at http://www.jogabrasil.com.br

#20 SLotman, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012